Northern Arizona Route

I tried those P42s but the error I get is: does not support build #s below 2.7. I get that often on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party content.

Actually, that is a warning (Yellow !). A warning will not keep you from using that piece of content. An Error will (Red !).

To eliminate the warning, change the build# to 2.7, this eliminates the warning.

Thanks SuperFudd and cascaderailroad for the kind comments.

@n8phu, it looks like I just needed to download a P42 pack from another web site to get it to work. Since that wasn’t available on the DLS it would explain why it didn’t show in missing dependencies.

Thanks Hal for those comments and suggestions. When I lived In Arizona I traveled throughout the state quite a bit. I spent a lot of time in northern Arizona. My route will definitely go east through the Painted Desert and beyond. As far as the Apache Raiway, I’ve got pictures and even videos of some of the locos and rolling stock. In one of my DVDs I see a lot of wood chip cars. That would make sense with the paper mill. It would be great to get some of those things later on. In creating all the terrain features I have been using a lot of artistic license in bringing features in closer to add interest and save on resources. I appreciate the pics of the Painted Desert. I’ve been through there a number of times. The tricky part in Trainz is trying to texture the muti colored rock striations that are mostly horizontal. As with all of the Colorado Plateau, the interesting rock formations are many. With my Cholla Power Plant I studied how it was laid out and made decisions on what I would include and what I could put together with available content. I’m my worst critic.
I have to say, that works and move on. Right now I’m still texturing and detailing the area between Joseph City and Winslow. After that I will be moving toward Canyon Diablo and Flagstaff. Eventually I’ll get back to east of Holbrook. I will definitely check with you for some advice and some petrified logs would be great detail.
Gordon

Excellent as usual Gordon, can i throw in a suggestion though? Maybe use the (terrain) track instead of the standard track because then there will be a uneven transition between the track and texture.. This track wouldnt work over bridges and such of course, anyway, just a suggestion. Keep it up!

Thanks scratchy, by the way your route is spectacular! I like the new PRR NS heritage shots! I’ve been thinking about doing that with the track. What I was doing was using the regular and then smoothing the spline. I haven’t been smoothing the spline lately because of all the yard tracks. I think I’ll try that.
Gordon

Hey Gordon, on Page 11, what are the assets (or some of) that you assets you used to build the Coal Plant? I'm trying to build a large one on my layout but I've got nowhere

Jamie

Jamie, the coal plant I made which is supposed to look like Cholla power Plant in Joseph City, AZ is really a hodgepodge of a lot of assets. The real plant has green unit towers that were built at different times. They have lots of piping, tanks and industrial details. All I could do was improvise and do the best I could. I used grain elevator towers and raised two 36 m smoke stacks on top of them because I really needed taller smoke stacks. In the unloading side I have a basic coal unloader and a building mill. I added a few TPR generic tipples (conveyers) around the big coal piles. I used a variety of industrial plant and industrial structures that are built in content with my version. I also used cooling towers by Leeferr in a few locations. Those are great because they have the steam effect. I also put in a power plant substation built in). I have since added more substation wires and structures by using various cantenary assets. In a power plant, that’s called the switchyard. I find that xawery’s industrial buildings are very useful. I put a few of those around the power plant grounds. I don’t know if any of that helps you. Every coal plant is going to have it’s own unique look. If I were to start over I’m sure I would put it together differently than I did.
Gordon

Thanks enginewhistle, the hardest part was planning and putting in the roads. It’s really the excellent content that others have created that make it believable.

These are a few shots of a low bridge over a desert wash. The last couple of plate girder bridges I’ve made using plate girder sides with weathered asphalt road under the ballast. In the last shot you can see I-40 in the distance. I’ve switched out all my track to JR terrain as scratchy suggested. It looks much better. On the bridges I use the standard track.
Gordon

Your route is coming along very nicely mate. really impressive :). just out of interest, I'm after some really good rail bridges.
Where did you get that rail bridge seen in your last screenshot?

Thanks AJ,
Thanks Andy, I do enjoy getting back to some terrain work filling in stretches between towns.

Thanks jakelw, that bridge is sort of kitbashed. I used one of the bridge kit plate girder sides. For the deck I used two weathered asphalt roads just under the track ballast and a tad beyond the edge of the ballast. It works because it almost blends in with the ballast. ‘Then some bridge piers and abutments. The bridge kit sides have nice detail and the color is close to what I’m looking for. It’s an improvement over what I was doing before for my plate girder bridges. There is a type of plate girder bridge with railings that I’m really looking for. For now I’m trying different thing out.
Gordon

Great stuff mate, i'll ditto Andy's post too!
Can't help but noticing the funny shadows on those tankcars and locos, bit of a bummer that the shadowing in Trainz isnt very advanced atm. I turned my shadows off and use the excellent shadow splines made by Dinorius_Redundicus instead (does anyone else find his user name impossible to spell off the top of your head? :hehe:) Might be interesting to experiment with..
Keep it up :)

Cheers, Rich

I really love your scenes man. You really know how to texture, and then build up from there to make something so realistic it just blows my mind............. :eek:
MTW;)

Thanks Euphod

Thanks MTW

Thanks Rich, I agree about the shadows. Sometimes the shadows are ok but in the case of many of my shots lately the shadows look bad. I tend to create in and take screenshot with early time of day settings. I just think it looks better. The textures for this desert terrain just look too harsh (too bright and too much contrast) at mid day settings. As far as disabling shadows in the Mac version I don’t think I can. TS Mac has no advance settings in options. I may be wrong about that. If there is a way I would like to try it to see what it would look like.
Gordon

I turned my shadows off and use the excellent shadow splines made by Dinorius_Redundicus instead (does anyone else find his user name impossible to spell off the top of your head? :hehe:)

Yes, I do too. Think how I feel every time I have to log on to a Auran Trainz web site after using CCleaner! The damned thing is a legacy from the days when I was mad keen on Civilization III and wanted to play as a Roman emperor. By the time I realised I was in Trainz for the long haul and creating objects under that nickname, it was kind of too late to change my 'identity'. I really wish it was shorter too.

Back