No switches

Engioc

HI, I'm trying to get a route made for TRS2006 to work in TS2010 (this is TS2010 EE combined with TS2009 WBE). For some reason none of the switches appear when in surveyor and I cant see or change any of them if I try driving a train either. Anyone able to tell me what is going on?

I found that if I lay a new track from one line to another then the switch appears for that one, but for all existing ones the switches are not present, why?

I would guess that you don't have the exact switch levers or swith machines dowloaded, or the creators 06 switch levers do not work in 10 without error fixing ?

Some routes I like to delete the Auran default switch levers, one by one, and replace them with PRR Target throwovers.

Last edited:
Check the route in CM for missing/faulty deps. The switches.
Check both the route and session layer, see if they show in 1 not the other.
If so try merging route/session-session/route.
If not--
Delete using CM. Only the route.
Now you probably know this.
Next, back to 2006 CMP, find the route, select show all deps. R/click, select all, R/click make CDP, send to desktop.
Open 2010 CM, import. Commit. Have another look for the switches.
What are the switches in question, I've found some that will not show in 2010.

Check the route in CM for missing/faulty deps. The switches.
Check both the route and session layer, see if they show in 1 not the other.
If so try merging route/session-session/route.
If not--
Delete using CM. Only the route.
Now you probably know this.
Next, back to 2006 CMP, find the route, select show all deps. R/click, select all, R/click make CDP, send to desktop.
Open 2010 CM, import. Commit. Have another look for the switches.
What are the switches in question, I've found some that will not show in 2010.

Ok thanks, will give that a try tonight after work....but

I found that even if I manually add a new switch lever, the lever disappears when I move my mouse away, re-appears when I hover my mouse over that spot again. Also both arrows on the lever to change which way the point goes remain red, so they cant be used even after manually adding.

Also note I didn't actually create the route. Its a download from the DLS which I've had working fine in all previous versions of trainz and although I dont fully remember I am fairly sure it worked ok when it was just TS2009. The route(s) I'm using is SARN4T Adelaide 1988 SG version + the two additional SARN4T routes that can be merged with it. Note even before merging the levers don't show.

Anyway I will try what you've suggested tonight. Thanks.

Last edited:
all arrows fade out by default. if you want to see them all the time press the ? on your screen (top left hand side).

If you add a new switch and both arrows are red, the lever is not in the right position. The lever has to be between the merging spline point and the next spline point in front of the wye

all arrows fade out by default. if you want to see them all the time press the ? on your screen (top left hand side).

If you add a new switch and both arrows are red, the lever is not in the right position. The lever has to be between the merging spline point and the next spline point in front of the wye

Thanks but I already tried moving the switch around as I've done many times in TS2006 until it changes to one green one red, but it never changes no matter where I move it. Plus I shouldn't need to because I dont actually want to add new ones, the current switch should still be there since it was there when the map was originally created, when I take the map back to TS2006 all switches show and work correctly. Its only in 2009+2010 that they dont.

I'm about to try looking at the layers as suggested and also checking to make sure the switch it needs is available (I think though it is already a default switch from TS2004/2006). If that doesn't work I might try taking 2009+10 off and go back to just straight 2009 and see what happens.

I've also noted merging the SARN4T routes together in 2010 doesn't work properly and the new section/route that is added all the roads and rails end up shooting up in to the air and are just a mess all over the place, in TRS2006 it works fine. Thats doing it with just the straight downloads off of the DLS without any of the mods I had done since I originally downloaded it for TS2006 (if that makes sense?).

Anyway I'll do some testing now and post back later with results.

****EDIT
Ok it didn't take long, the switch is listed as faulty for TS2010, looks ok in CM for TS2006, so I assume therefore its no longer compatible. I dont suppose there is some easy/quick way I can replace all switches with a new one like a find/replace function? I notice there is a Replace Asset item listed in the menus but I cant work out how to use it, plus I see and option to replace currently selected option, but since I cant see the point I'm not able to select it.

I assume this means I have to take my route back to an older version of trainz (TS2006 I guess since it works in that) and manually replace several 100 or maybe 1000s switches, sounds like fun, and hopefully the replacement switch I use will work in TS2010.

I also went in to surveyor and tried removing missing assets and was then able to manually place a switch point, moved in to position and it worked fine, so again that kind of confirms I need new switches.

Last edited:
Go to your Surveyors main menu and select replace object. Drag and Drop the faulty switch asset to the left hand side list and the new lever to the right.

Should be as simple as that to replace all the levers.

Go to your Surveyors main menu and select replace object. Drag and Drop the faulty switch asset to the left hand side list and the new lever to the right.

Should be as simple as that to replace all the levers.

Yes, and I managed to work that out but then got an error stating that some of the objects were invalid and it wouldn't replace the invalid odjects. In other words the faulty switch cant be replaced because its unable to replace invalid/faulty objects which makes it seem like a rather pointless option. Why do I need to replace all objects of a particular type if they're already working?? Surely this feature would be more useful if it was able to replace invalid/faulty objects, and surely this is the same process as deleting dependencies but only on a specific object, and replacing it with a new one. Anyway that's not how it seems to work.

Anyway I decided to go ahead and start manually replacing them, just used the option to delete missing dependencies from the map and was then able to manually place "switch lever" at each point and they seem to work ok so far but its going to take a while to replace and test all of them. The "switch lever" object is a default Auran one so hopefully once its done it wont be a problem in future.

If your not that happy with the switch levers try some others and when your happy use the replace asset tool.

If your not that happy with the switch levers try some others and when your happy use the replace asset tool.

As I said the Replace Asset feature is incapable of replacing invalid/faulty assets. When using this feature it displays and error stating "invalid assets found, will not replace invalid assets. Do you wish to proceed?", answer yes or no makes no difference since all switches currently on the route are invalid/faulty and as the error states its not able to replace them.

The "Switch Lever" asset works fine fine except I cannot use the Replace Asset function to add it to my route and replace all the current faulty ones "Point Motor WH63".

Replace Asset "Point Motor WH63" with "Switch Lever".....result = "One of the assets to be replaced is invalid and cannot be replaced, do you wish to proceed?"

He doesn't mean the ingame asset replace tool. There is a 3rd party replace tool that replaces the files itself in your trainz installation instead of the objects in your route.

What I meant was when your using 2010 surveyor and have placed some points and find some you like then use the asset replace tool.
As you say it wont replace faulty stuff.
That WH 63 point was the one I had to replace.

Just checked CM 3.3. Point motor WH 63 shows no faults. kuid 33572:24000
An updated version for 2009, 2:36705:1065:1
An imported 1 will show as faulty because it has missing files that 2010 wants, however you can use the built in 1.
One of the odd things about trainz.

Ok thanks for the help guys, sorry I misunderstood. So any one able to tell me where I get the third party tool for replacing assets? I'll do a search myself but though I might as well ask here as well.

Good to see there is an updated version, will give that a try and see how it goes, but even once I have the newer version of WH 63 point I might still replace it with a built in switch since that's probably going to be easier to replace in the future if this happens again.

In the end though I decided to go ahead and used surveyor to remove the missing assets and start manually adding in the Auran Switch Lever and although I was originally worried about the number of switches I'd need go around replacing to be honest now I started it doesn't seem like such a huge task, probably done half of them just last night so I think within an hour or so tonight I'll finish the other half. I'll still get that third party tool for future use though.

@fran1 - I like your sig and I probably should of had a bit more patience before posting, should of checked for missing assets a little more closely. Sometimes the answers staring me right in the face but just don't pick up on it.

On a side note I don't suppose anyone knows the guys who originally created the SARN4T routes because I'd love to find out if he/she ever finished the rest of the Noarlunga line (Brighton to Noarlunga).

Anyway thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
"On a side note I don't suppose anyone knows the guys who originally created the SARN4T routes".
Go into content manager put the name of the route in, info pane lower left, scroll down, authors name will be there.
Put the name in a search under auther ID and anything made by them will show.

Back