New laptop

peterwhite

Steam Rules OK
I've been looking at buying a new laptop that is capable of running any of the Trainz Simulations at a reasonable FPS. I've looked at Alienware, Samsung (I already use a Chronos 7 and it is quite good but not good enough) and Asus but I have come across the following. Has anybody any experience of this laptop that can pass on any pros and cons.

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Ascension-17-GTX980M-Gaming-Laptop.html

I would appreciate any comments, good or bad, to help me make my mind up please.:)

Peter

Hi Peter,

By the specs it looks like a nice machine! :D

It cost about the same as my Alienware M17x I got back in 2011.

My only concern is the heat. You might want to consider a laptop chiller pad to place the machine on while running it because Trainz, especially TANE will push the machine pretty hard.

John

Hi Peter,

By the specs it looks like a nice machine! :D

John

I agree the specs look good but my main concern is the brand itself. They are not someone I have come across before so I don't know much about their reputation.

As for Alienware I am worried that they have been 'watered down' with inferior products now that they are owned by Dell.

I agree the specs look good but my main concern is the brand itself. They are not someone I have come across before so I don't know much about their reputation.

As for Alienware I am worried that they have been 'watered down' with inferior products now that they are owned by Dell.

I know what you're saying. I don't know much about the brand either.

Regarding Alienware, they are still a separate entity however they use Dell's manufacturing and distribution network. The 2010 machine I got is made extremely well and is still used periodically today when traveling. The case on my alienware machine is made of aluminium and the computer is quite heavy.

If anything if you are looking for a laptop like this, I would go with the Alienware unless you find other information on the other brand.

John

Im a Geek, with Computers and other things, there are times when, and it may cost more, to have a Laptop, Desktop etc custom built by a company, to your specs...... or if your adventurous enough,,,,, by you? Reason being, off shelf stuff is not what's it's cracked up to be, company's r now in the business of shaving off good stuff, because margin is so thin for building machines.......I have in the past built many of my own computers,now like autos and other tech toys, much more involved in design.....the crux if you will, is what is needed the most to make you happy, lots of research and sleuthing by talking with many Folks who have had similar experience, reading reviews especially,,,should help you gain an understanding of what will satisfy your needs at hand to work with any of trains software.......I can tell it's always a battle with software needs vs hardware and software design......a very unequal and many times mismatched marriage.....I've lived it since 1970 both in pro and personal world......Good luck to you........

Im a Geek, with Computers and other things, there are times when, and it may cost more, to have a Laptop, Desktop etc custom built by a company, to your specs...... or if your adventurous enough,,,,, by you? Reason being, off shelf stuff is not what's it's cracked up to be, company's r now in the business of shaving off good stuff, because margin is so thin for building machines.......I have in the past built many of my own computers,now like autos and other tech toys, much more involved in design.....the crux if you will, is what is needed the most to make you happy, lots of research and sleuthing by talking with many Folks who have had similar experience, reading reviews especially,,,should help you gain an understanding of what will satisfy your needs at hand to work with any of trains software.......I can tell it's always a battle with software needs vs hardware and software design......a very unequal and many times mismatched marriage.....I've lived it since 1970 both in pro and personal world......Good luck to you........

I agree with you regarding desktop computers, but building laptops is a bit on the "You gotta be kidding, right?" side of things! While the components aren't proprietary themselves the way they go together is, making repairing and building a laptop very difficult. And to add insult to injury, the component size even with the modules is a bit on the wee tiny bit size! As I said above, my Alienware machine is made extremely well and worth the investment as it runs TS12 quite well. Will it run TANE? I'm not so sure and I don't care really if it does or not. With PCs, whether a laptop or desktop, you get what you pay for in quality. The best price isn't always the best choice.

I too have been in the industry since the 1980s, and even worked for an early PC manufacturer, built motherboards and did troubleshooting to the component level. A lot has changed since then, yet a lot is still the same.

John

Back