New BNSF

CSXCNWFAN

I know it's been out for a while, but does anyone else think the new BNSF logo is ugly?

I was a huge fan of the Heritage schemes and the logo that adorned most of the new motive power....but alas, how things change.

I don't necessarily think it's UGLY, but I don't like it. BNSF really made a huge mistake not sticking with the Heritage II scheme. :(

On the plus side, there's plenty of HII's still running around up here in Big Sky Country. :D

Apparently (and this is just what I heard), a major eastern shipping firm was "offended" by the old herald (the circle with the cross though it, like the old ATSF herald [apparently it means something weird over there, similar to a company over there using a swastika as a logo, thereby "offending" us]) and they were one of BNSF's major customers. (like, a third of their business) This eastern shipping firm threatened to stop using them if they didn't change their herald, so they went and changed it, along with the color scheme. They even changed the company's official name, it's no longer "Burlington Northern Santa Fe", it's now "BNSF Railway."

Give it a few years and they'll be like CSX, with no discernible meaning in the acronym.

Yeah what DOES CSX stand for? (Chessie System eXpress?) I like CSX....The color schemes, The Dark blue and Gold, especially on the SD 70MAC's, I really like. I also like CSX's service areas...hard coal towns and steel country, but they are pretty bland.

Too bad railroads have to bend to being PC....but hey, at least Montana still has HII's:D

Up here in the Northwest we are pretty much converted over....oh well.

Yeah what DOES CSX stand for?

Chicken sh*t express is what we call it 'round here.

CSX was a temporary name assigned at the beginnings of the Chessie-Seaboard merger. The official story is that it stands for Chessie-Seaboard expanded, but they cut the mileage from 27,000 miles to 19,000 miles almost immediately after the merger, so it don't really make sense.

I always heard that it was "C" for "Chessie", "S" for "Seaboard", and "X for "together we are more" or something other marketing **** like that.

I heard that the X came from the map: the Chessie System had a predominately East-West direction, while Seaboard System had a predominately North-South direction.

ns

I'd always heard it was something along the lines of "Central Southern", with the X meaning transportation or something similar.

That or Chessie Seaboard Transportation.
________
Web shows

Last edited:
I read CSX was supposed to be temporary created for the legal proceddings to get the Chessie-Seaboard merger moving though no formal decision had been made for the merged name. But the government wanted something so the lawyers created CSX and there you go.

Saw an interesting variation of the CSX logo on the Proto-Freelance Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfmsig/
In the files area there's a CSX logo with the Chessie kitten C, Seaboard S and Conrail's logo modified to make the X all in gold on a blue background.

As for BNSF
http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=2925

Back