Network multiplayer

bigdaverails

This question may have been answered, but.....

Can multi-player be set up on a group of computers via network cables instead of over the internet? I've thought about having operating sessions at the house using 2012, but was unsure of what it's capabilities are. I don't yet have 2012 (I have 2010) and this issue would be a deciding factor for me if I'll get it.

All PC's need to have contact to the internet in order to be able to connect with the N3V multiplayer server.
You can make the session private by giving it a password you only tell your friends, but you can not play on a private network without internet connection.

no you must go thru the server. And each computer must have it's own reg. game & not by the same person. You can MP with 10 build 49938 but still need the server!

If multiplayer is the deciding factor on buying TS12, don't bother, stick with 2010. You have to use their matchmaking server to connect and there is NO dedicated server.exe

It would be extremely awesome if Auran/N3V could add a feature which allows to set up dedicated server. The way how TS12 Multiplayer works now isn't very nice in my opinion. There are so many nice contents which are not uploaded to the DLS and for that reason not able to play in Multiplayer. I would say that this could be the next milestone for Trainz, if it comes real. :)

Greetings

It would be extremely awesome if Auran/N3V could add a feature which allows to set up dedicated server.
I assume the reason they wont do this is to keep the illegal usage of the game at a minimum. Now people need to have a registered version of the game in order to be able to play MP, simply because they need to us the N3V server. When you remove this requirement, it becomes a lot easier to play without a legal version.

Having to use the server of the company who makes the game has become a pretty standard way of doing business and it works fine usually. I agree that the time it takes N3V to get their MP server up and running again after it went down should become a lot shorter though, especially during weekend.

As for the 3rd party content... I can see that work in a future version / patch, but I would prefer not to as this forces people to get this 3rd party content in order to play the game.

Last edited:
No, they could give us a Dedicated Server.exe and still make it run thru their match making server. This would allow people to lease servers and have more 24/7 servers up which would probably actually help increase their sales.

I assume the reason they wont do this is to keep the illegal usage of the game at a minimum. Now people need to have a registered version of the game in order to be able to play MP, simply because they need to us the N3V server. When you remove this requirement, it becomes a lot easier to play without a legal version.

Yes, you're right. But the problem of this "solution" is the extreme high ping which accrues between host computer, client computer and DLS/Auran/N3V server. Problems like the famous "ghost trains" kills the pleasure of this game. And sorry, but such things let's not increase their sales. I don't understand where the problem is to use a simple registration of each copy of TS to assure that the copy is an original one? So many other games uses this method to verify that authenticity. Okay, I am not a software developer, maybe that's the reason why I can't understand the way which Auran/N3V goes but I'm sure that as a costumer, which I am, I'm able to say what annoys me on a product. :)

Greetings ;)

Look at Blizzard and their World of Warcraft game. Decent respons times from servers, even with loads of user-controled moving objects involved, can perfectly work and be game-company controlled with a low ping.
The thing is those thing have a price and I guess us users and N3V aint paying that at the moment.

This game deals with and transfers a lot more data than any of those others, why do you think it's such a resource hog, even in single player?

I think we shouldn't compare Blizzards World of Warcraft with Aurans TrainzSimulator12. At first, world of warcraft based on a newer engine as Trainz does. Secondly, world of warcraft has an higher amount of players as trainz has. I think you compare apples with pears ;).

I'm right there with you that all about the performance is a question of money also. But I will show you other examples for multiplayer games which uses dedicated server successfully: Batteflied1942, Battelfield2, Battlefield3, TrackMania, etc.. And there are many other games. The thing is, when Auran are not able to provide a much faster system for assure the copies of Trainz, the Multiplayer component will not be such a big success as it could be - in my opinion. :) I saw many guys who said that the multiplayer is a really nice thing, but the performance is horrible, and that is favourable said. For sure there is a "hard core" of users who doesn't care so much about the known problems, but in the long run you will have a big problem to get new customers, that's a fact.
By my experience I can tell you that the MP feature was a reason for a few guys to buy Trainz12. We've played a longer time together and the result was that they gone. Okay, the performance was not only the reason I think, there was a disappointment about the "trainz-build situation" as well. Users of the German TS12 version couldn't play with users of the international together, still the same today. What's the point of that?

To be honestly with you all. I don't want to be the angry German guy who only grumbles about the multiplayer. I love that feature and I'm only disappointed that the performance is so terrible and that the possibilities in my opinion are very limited. I hope that the future will bring some good news in the direction that something will be improved, for example the dedicated server option. :)

Greetings ;)

Look at Blizzard and their World of Warcraft game. Decent respons times from servers, even with loads of user-controled moving objects involved, can perfectly work and be game-company controlled with a low ping.
The thing is those thing have a price and I guess us users and N3V aint paying that at the moment.

I think you must be a wow player. Could you tell me your ID?

Back