Model Train Show Hurstville. October Long Weekend

NR_121

Date joined 24th Dec 2002
Hi,

Anyone getting out to the show on the long weekend. At this stage I have Saturday off, and working Sunday and Monday. So I am hoping to get out there in the morning.

Will AURAN be making an appearance this year?

Regards,
Warren.

Friendly Reminder!

Just a reminder that the Model train show is this weekend. Buses from either Hurstville or Riverwood Stations.

Even though AURAN won't be there this year, it would still be nice to catch up with some familiar faces.

I am planning on being there Saturday Morning from opening for a few hours.

Regards,
Warren.

Your locale is pretty handy, Warren......

Chalk me down for a Saturday morning visit to the exhibition. I was hoping to see Stringybark Creek on the exhibition list (NSW O gauge) :confused: Ah well.

Cheers,
Simon

Chalk me down for a Saturday morning visit to the exhibition. I was hoping to see Stringybark Creek on the exhibition list (NSW O gauge) :confused: Ah well.

Cheers,
Simon

I heard they were doing more work on it so thats why its not there... But thats what i heard so...:p

Trackwork: If you're coming from south of Hurstville

Just a note that while looking for future trackwork, I've noticed that RailFlop, um ur RailCrop, um ur RailCorp is doing trackwork on the South Coast Line on the same weekend, so if you are coming from the Wollongong area, be prepared for trackwork from Thirroul/Wollongong & Waterfall if you're coming from the South Coast, with buses replacing the above. If you're coming from the north, trackwork won't really interfere.

And note, if you are coming from areas north of Central, remember buses between Hornsby & Strathfield and the Newcastle/Central Coast trains go via the North Shore. That's so they can commission the points (or whatever) the new Epping to Chatstwood (ECRL) rail line.

By the way, what exactly do they mean by commissioning points (I think that's correct), as work/test trains have already ran via these points at Epping & into the ECRL?

Last edited:

Cheers,
Simon

It certainly is. If it isn't wet, I'll be leaving the car at home and walking. It's about a 15-20 minute walk.

I have to work on the Sunday and Monday, so I have to go on Saturday or not at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Arid Australia layout. It's supposed to be pretty big, if they bring it all.

Regards,
Warren

Greetings

I also hope to be there 11:00 onwards on Saturday

There is no Stand from Auran this year.

The vintage buses run from Penshurst and Hurstville Stations for donation to the Truck and Bus Museum at Tempe-- great to see the old timers out for a run

I will have radio station Mobile 04 tuned to 105.1 24 hrs a day 07 days a week so try to echolocate-- probably near the Lego stand failing all else
Waz

Ps Bikie- Beard -- that would be Eric-- will look for picture-- Collin is more the whisy Merlin lookalike

Last edited:
Wazzer are/were you the one with a beard ? I remember seeing you at all the other expo's but never knew who you were:)

Wazzer" said:
The vintage buses run from Penshurst and Hurstville Stations...
Um NO they aren't.

Note, I've been given infomation after enquiring about something else, that the free heritage buses will be running from & to Hurstville Station ONLY, not Penhurst Station. Not sure about Riverwood station though.

Last edited:
Thanks Red

Thanks for update

to 00 99 I have been known to sport facial fluff on occasion but I humbly suggest it might be Eric or perhaps Colin that you are thinking of-- I am clean shaven at the moment.
Warwick (aka waz)

I heard they were doing more work on it so thats why its not there... But thats what i heard so...:p

I was talking to one of the guys on the Stringbark Creek layout at last year's exhibition. He was telling me it was a "work in progress" at that time. I guess I was looking forward to an "update." I'm sure this layout of promise will resurface at some point.

My shots from the exibition can be seen by following the link in my siggie. I took tons more photos but due to my Digitals stupidness causing it to default itself on a low shutter speed there the only ones that were ok. Video was ok to will take time to get the good parts out though :)

If the 500 metre + (yes, that is two "zeros" without a decimal point) Arid Australia layout is lucky enough to attempt the 902 ore wagon train, I hope someone has enough sense to video it - please!

Almost forget to mention that last year's show was better, as it seemed to have more layouts, and this year, too many retail stands, with too few layouts.

I've been to better shows than this year's Hurstville Train Show.

Last edited:
Important note: Some retailers were/are breaking the TPA about refunds

IMPORTANT NOTE: It seems as though several retailers at model train shows (and the same applies to their shop) are in breach of the TPA regarding refunds on defective goods. Please note that this does NOT apply to people buying second hand items privately.

Note, that it has come to my attention that several retailers that sell either defective goods and/or second hand goods are breaking the Trade Practices Act of Australia (TPA) regarding claiming no refunds at all on either defective and/or second hand items.

Wether it be at a model show, or the retailer's shop, saying NO REFUNDS is actually against the TPA - this includes items as shown below.

In Australia, if you buy an item from a retailer, even if defective with flaws, that are made known, and if you find a flaw or defect that was not made known, or advertised, then a customer has EVERY right negotiate an exchange, repair or REFUND.

More information: http://www.accc.gov.au

Last edited:
Wow thats a shame, Curious to cause it would be illegal for you to mention which ones right ?

NOTE to moderators and/or administrators, this IS related to the Model Train Show being talked about. (More talk about layouts underneath the equal lines.)

All I'm trying to say is that if a customer still has some rights when it comes to defects that are NOT known, but to fair to retailers, customers also have RESPONIBILITIES.

And no 0099, I will not name the retailers as it was several (I thought you would have seen them anyway), retailers who had signs stating NO REFUNDS on those items, which if you click on this link here those type of signs may not be permitted and also in the same pages
Consumers may ask for a refund if the goods purchased:

• have a basic, serious fault that was not known by the consumer at the time of purchase
• do not do the job that the consumer was led to believe they would do
• do not match the sample the consumer was shown, or
• do not fit their description.

Consumers and traders may negotiate other solutions such as a repair or replacement but under these circumstances a consumer has a legal right to cancel a contract (rescind) and receive a refund if there is a breach of that contract.
=====

Would I guess that the Arid Australia (although sponsored by retailers) would be the biggest model layout (or publicly known layout at least) in Australia?

I'm not saying they were, but it seems as though several layouts were each trying to be compete to be the largest layout. Their can be layouts that to me, that could be considered too large.

I noticed that some layouts including N Scale had stationary trains with light ON in the carriages. I thought lights only came on when the trains were moving. "Please explain" how this is done?

Last edited:
Back