missing objects

baz66

Can anyone tell me their procedures for finding missing objects. Like normal ? people I've started too many projects to handle and they all, after a while start coming up with the dreaded missing sign.The DL screen doesn't find anything and TO says no missing objects.I'm using 2004/2365.It it a series of elims or does someone have a order of elims tocorrect this problem. I read somewhere in a thread tha it could be a missing product or a texture on a building. Is this right? Any advice would be helpful
Baz

Hello out there. Obviously my questions are too hard or in the taboo list.So far I have asked about understanding config files a bit better because lots of things don't work and I want to fix it. NO REPLYS or NO INTEREST.Now I'm asking for ways to find whats missing when a layout indicates missing. Again NO INTEREST. Trainz is a fabulous program and a land of discovery But fellas, Its not just about running trains on layout. Creativity is a very important part and some of you blokes are abso;ute artists at what you do> I want to do it too!!
Baza

I hope I'm on the right track mate. When you get that message just open up your layout as usual and then open the Surveyor Menu.. scroll down to
Delete Missing Assetts and click it. Then give your route or layout another name and save it. You should find that there are no more problems.
Bless ya
Franglen

Thank you Franglen. Yes I;ve done that, But being a total inquisitive nut, I want to know what that missing object is. I tend to use the same bits on all my layouts because they are(I feel) alittle bit OZ. I want to fix them. Maybe I should get into this creating thing a bit more.
baz66

Okay, I'll bite, only because you're like me, and like to have things correct. I use '06, so my knowledge of TO is rusty. First off, if you don't have v6.0 build 544, go to Tafweb's website and install it. Give me an example of which asset gives you problems, and we can go from there.
Norm

Thank you Franglen. Yes I;ve done that, But being a total inquisitive nut, I want to know what that missing object is. I tend to use the same bits on all my layouts because they are(I feel) alittle bit OZ. I want to fix them. Maybe I should get into this creating thing a bit more.
baz66
Ok, but remember you asked.
Go into TO, and for the map concerned, get the list of all objects required.
You may be lucky, and find a main asset (bottom of list) is the culprit. If not, then one (or more) of the required assets has a missing dependency.

The only way you are going to find out which, is to select each of the required assets, and check for missing dependencies. Big job when you have 200 required assets or so.

My advice, is to take Franglen's advice.

Cheers

Thank you all. to NWHITNEY Yes I,ve tried to update TO but it keeps saying I have the latest version which is not 6.0.Has TAFWEB finished it. I'll go back and check. In response to other help, Yes I think something has missing dependencies and it's hard to find! Is 2006 more easier to solve probs? I have two layouts near completion only scenery to do.Save the best till last I say. I like doing scenery best of all.
Baz66

Sometimes it's a dependancy to an item you use. I found this out when I added a public pool to a town I built, and it had the missing item window until I added the pool administration building. You have to have both to complete the set.
Thewre was also a soundfile for cattle that did the same thing, although Inever did figure out what was supposed to go with it. I probably had the wrong cows.
I don't know what else does this, but it's a hard one to diagnose. Generally I just start taking off things I added during the previous session until the window doesn't come up, then go from there.

:cool: Claude

The time this happens is when you add in rolling stock. You'll get this message when you edit the session. The rolling stock may require commodities, for example, but are mssing some of them so you get that message at start-up.

I discovered this when I was working on my longtime route. I was able to not have the message show up until I started with a driver session. For some reason some of the freight cars were missing dependencies such as plastic pellets, or wood chips, and that caused the message.

In TRS2006, (I know you're using 2004), you can turn the message off so it doesn't show at the beginning every time you start up your driver session for a route.

John

This does not mean that something is actualy missing. When i went to 06 files showed up with missing assets but found that a kuid of an asset that was no longer required was still in the config list instead of being deleted. Also some texture files are of the wrong size but still work if you ignore the black screen. Some assets have been updated but the map may still look for an older version because of the way some kuid config files were created. Sometimes an updated asset may have been done with a newer version of trainz so fails to show in an older version so becomes missing.

Back