Minimum Locos and Rolling for UK Routes?

Hello,

I've recently been upgrading my British routes collection in 2004 (SP4) with some excellent ones I've found on the Download Station.

I've also been trying to upgrade my UK collection of rolling stock and locomotives, but have been doing it without much knowledge on the subject of British rolling items!

Using Trainz 2004 SP4, I naturally have all the stock built-in HSTs, MK1's and MK2's and the original Midland coaches and so on. I know that I should be using the plank wagons more often, for a different experience..

I've been trying to upgrade them over time, but my collection seems very spotty...I have maybe six of the new, nicer Class 37's; maybe five nice models of the newer MK2fs (Arriva, Scotrail,Virgin,One,and an Intercity scroll). I also have some of the newer HAA gondolas, I have only one steam, the Fowler 3F Jinty.

...One slightly newer "blood and custard" MK1. I'm thinking that the blood and custards are probably sort of classic, but I only have that one. Was looking for some with functioning doors and good interiors, but gave up somehow....

Can any of you UK enthusiasts give me a short list of the minimum rolling stock and Locos that "casual" driver like me should have to use in these UK routes? You don't have to give me exact KUIDs, but the minimum types I should have? Don't go crazy on me...just what would be considered the first "baby step" necessities!

Any help, much appreciated! Bob P.:)

UK Locos

hi
Where to start Class 08 shunters(switchers) Class 20s Deltics(class55) class50s of course Class47s maybe others will come up with sugestions.
John:)

Hi Bob,

Depends a lot on the time period you want. I work in the late 1950s to mid 1960s steam in transition to diesel era which is pretty varied. Take a look at this Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_corporate_liveries

Follow the links from that page for some prototype ideas and then search the DLS for what you fancy. This should cover passenger trains reasonably well. Freight and parcels stock is a bit more complex so let me know if you have a time period in mind and I'll try and provide more information on this.

You might be restricted by TS2004 content though. TC3 has some excellent content for the 60s period and you can download many more (free) from:

http://www.trainzclassics.co.uk/

(But you need to buy and use TC3 to enable the dependencies - it's probably very cheap to buy if you search around). Or you could go the whole hog and get TS2009 and the Settle and Carlisle add on (which is TC3 +). Blasphemy (?!).

Have a look at trainzclassics site to see the quality of the items anyway....

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
Would it be a good idea to narrow things down a bit, for example does a particular region and time period interest you? Do you want to concentrate on passenger or freight or both?

The Wikipedia Railway Companies Of The United Kingdom category listing might be a useful starting point if you need to do any research.

John

hi Bob

I have a bunch of stuff you may require on my website, most MKI's in all liveries, and a LOT of steam locos too.

They are for TRS2004, TRS2006 TS2009 and TS2010, so no bother if you upgrade in the future.

I would suggest getting some BR MKI, blood/custard and maroon to cover the suburban and mainlne routes. Both Non Gangway and Gangway have opening doors, passenger enabled and interior views.

Wagons, typically 5 and 7 plank variety, and I have hundreds of them from all over the UK, so just select the region, and there is a set for there.

As said prviously, time period, and I cover from 1850 to the late 60's early 70's for the UK.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've recently been upgrading my British routes collection in 2004 (SP4) with some excellent ones I've found on the Download Station.

I've also been trying to upgrade my UK collection of rolling stock and locomotives, but have been doing it without much knowledge on the subject of British rolling items!

Using Trainz 2004 SP4, I naturally have all the stock built-in HSTs, MK1's and MK2's and the original Midland coaches and so on. I know that I should be using the plank wagons more often, for a different experience..

I've been trying to upgrade them over time, but my collection seems very spotty...I have maybe six of the new, nicer Class 37's; maybe five nice models of the newer MK2fs (Arriva, Scotrail,Virgin,One,and an Intercity scroll). I also have some of the newer HAA gondolas, I have only one steam, the Fowler 3F Jinty.

...One slightly newer "blood and custard" MK1. I'm thinking that the blood and custards are probably sort of classic, but I only have that one. Was looking for some with functioning doors and good interiors, but gave up somehow....

Can any of you UK enthusiasts give me a short list of the minimum rolling stock and Locos that "casual" driver like me should have to use in these UK routes? You don't have to give me exact KUIDs, but the minimum types I should have? Don't go crazy on me...just what would be considered the first "baby step" necessities!

Any help, much appreciated! Bob P.:)

I'd go TS2009 plus the new S&C (updated TC3) add on. There was a lot of stock done for TC3 around 15 different mk1 models in 6 liveries say 90 different Mk1 coaches, functioning doors, good interiors, visible passengers etc. The seven different steam locos are nice as well with exceptionally good textures on them. You need either TC3 or TS2009 for the updated steam sounds. Paul Hobbs did some nice wagons with animated sides when unloading etc. and vans with animated brakes. I made a few wagons and vans with similar attributes for TC3 which have been well received as well. The nice thing about the S&C add on is the amount of work that has gone into it testing it.

If you purchase the S&C add on for TS2009 at the moment you get the TS2009 tree pack slung in for free on a preorder.

If your computer is dual or quad core TS2009 can make use of more than one core. It uses DXT compression which means it effectively quadruples your video card memory and the smaller compressed files take less time to load etc.

Cheerio John

Here's a Really Long-winded Reply !!

Hello back to you folks, I'll try to talk to everyone here ...

Westrain
---------
A Class 08 shunter is something I had in mind long ago, but forgot about. I think I saw it required in some route I looked at....seem to remember it was was made by Pikkabird, but I only found one Class 08 just now on DLS....not by him...

I also had a look at the Class 20's on the DLS..look good! Class 55 looks a little like the 37, but a good possiblity! Class 50's are good also (but all of them say UTC, will they run on 2004)? The Class 47's are great, and look like high quality!

These are great suggestions!!

John259
--------
These are the UK routes I will probably be using the most this winter....

Banks Heathz, which requires UK electrics with catenaries..(I've been using an Australian diesel I like the sound of)! See how a newbie thinks?

Branthorpe and Kilderdale looks 'modern' and requires some UK catenery electrics for the portals and regular passenger and light freight for the rest of it. I don't think I have a UK electric like that...

Cranby New Town V2, which is a nice mixture of passeger and frieght. looks modern, but could be used with old stuff also? Also Longhurst Deacon, similar.

Devon Cornwall Lite, Modern...which is heavy on passenger, (I've only used the passenger parts) (using what?...Strings of NYCTA R62 subway cars, why? They have good looks and terrific interior views which really add to the experience,, (in the mind of a newbie)! Could I use something British with similar excitement there...?

Restormal Castle...what could I use there? I've been using Class 37's towing Arriva and ScotRail cars, and some blood and creams for passengers. I have used plank wagons for light freight in this.. Also the smaller Colhad's Castle. Somehow I think of these routes as modern, and yet able to look older.

North Clyde Lines, which is a smallish (modern)commuter line I like the feel of..I think I run Class 50's or something. pulling the modern MK2s due to the nice look of them and operating doors and a very good interior view.I really overuse these too much!!

Itareus and and Barn700
=======================
Thanks for the links! I have gone to all and taken a look, and will study them later. Barn700,I'm not quite ready for the highest quality payware at this time, but you never know!

Itareus and Johnwhelan
----------------------
I went to Trainz Classics UK and saw the beautiful creations for Classics 3! Unfortunately, I will not be using TC3 or 2009 any time soon, because am blessed with a computer that right now, cannot play the sounds of my 2006 SP1 and Classics 1&2 properly despite my buying two different sound cards.(Or you could say that Auran has blessed me...) Maybe when I put together a new computer in one or two years.. And even then, I plan on being extremely careful when it comes to Trainz!

Johnwhelan
==========
I'll definitely be using your wagons and vans much more this winter! And I'll take a look at Paul Hobbs items also!

Right now I would say I'm very short on UK electrics with catenaries (how do you spell that darn word)? Also, any suggestions for small or medium size (steam) locomotives that were very numerous and popular in the UK?

And thanks, Stagecoach for the Magandy link! Robert P. ;)

Unfortunately, I will not be using TC3 or 2009 any time soon, because am blessed with a computer that right now, cannot play the sounds ..............Or you could say that Auran has blessed me...)

Well, I'm not trying to "sell" you either TC3 or TS2009 but I believe that both these version improved on the sounds of earlier versions of Trainz, especially for steam locos. You might like to post your computer specs here (or even run "dxdiag" and post the results) we might be able to see the problem!

Computer Specs for TS 2009 can be found here:

http://www.ts2009.com/faq.php

The reason I'm still suggesting this is that the TC3/S&C 2009 releases have superb UK 1960s content and you get all the added stuff from trainzclassics as well.

OK - so for the moment (and assuming you are sticking with 2004) I see that you are looking mostly at modern routes. Here is a link which give you the BR loco classes and a lot more information which will be useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Rail_modern_traction_locomotive_classes

Try searching the DLS for "Class XX" where "XX "is something like "08" from the very big list in the link above. Without the more modern Content Manager 2 in TS2009 searching won't be that easy, but sometimes a Google search for something like "Trainz download Class 47" will get you some results.

Other good DLS search terms are just "BR" or just "Class" - don't set the region to "UK" or anything, many assets are not properly classified in this way.

The magandy (UKBL) link suggested by stagecoach is good. Check out other content by the authors on there and also check out these guys on the DLS:

nexusdj --- tmz06003 --- andi06 --- LieLestoSbrat

There are loads more out there, once you have found one loco you like then check out the author on the DLS for more.

Enough for now, it's 2:30 am here. Goodnight!

Unfortunately, I will not be using TC3 or 2009 any time soon, because am blessed with a computer that right now, cannot play the sounds of my 2006 SP1 and Classics 1&2 properly despite my buying two different sound cards.(Or you could say that Auran has blessed me...) Maybe when I put together a new computer in one or two years.. And even then, I plan on being extremely careful when it comes to Trainz!

TS2009 uses less resources than previous versions for the same frame rate.

What are your computer specs?

Thanks John

If you want the highest quality steam locos you can do no better than look at TrainzClassic 3 as suggested above, the Carlisle-Skipton route and the rolling stock are also first class, John.

If you want the highest quality steam locos you can do no better than look at TrainzClassic 3 as suggested above, the Carlisle-Skipton route and the rolling stock are also first class, John.

Well yes but if you are buying today why not get the TS2009 version the S&C add on? Didn't I read some 896 TC3 assets have been updated to run in TS2009 native mode.

Cheerio John

And you thought my Other posts were long ......

Hello friends again.

As far as my computer specs and Trainz 2006 and Classics 1&2... I will tell you that my computer handles Trainz very well at 1024x768 at 4x anti-ailiasing and 8x Ansio.

Every other game I have plays at very high settings and with zero problems with sound.

I have sought help a while back on these forums. I've tried two sound cards. I didn't try the X-Fi card which was said to solve it with 5 speakers.. I chose to quit while the pain was the greatest! Now I'm happy. Sounds are trouble-free in 2004!

I believe it is a combination of the Realtek sound on the motherboard and the NForce 3. I've read some posts saying that they don't know what the big problem is! (This is because you are lucky enough to have the right combo of chips on your computer).

Now, back to British locos and rolling stock...

Maybe I was asking sort of an "unanswerable" question!

But​
all of you have sent me in some good directions just the same...

God Bless Westrain, who came right out with some actual good choices, the Class 08 shunters, Class 20, Class 55, and class 50 and 47's!

God bless Stagecoach who sent me to the UK Branch Lines site where I today downloaded the Dinmore GW Manor steam loco. Great loco, for only 2Mb of size!

(now if I can find a few black UK steam locos that are very popular and loved by all in the UK I'll be even more happy)!!! And some rolling stock that is loved by all in the UK!... That you might want to run in the routes I mentioned!

I tried downloading a Class 50 on the DLS, but it blew my mind at 22Mb (and me with dial-up) I forget to mention that!!! Perhaps I can get this at the local library's computers! And I'm sure I'll find some smaller downloads!

Ah well, I'm on my own again, but at least I have a start! Thank you, men! I'll visit back here now and then, to see if any more are mentioned.

PS If you do have a computer (new or old) that runs 2006 SP1 and Classics 1&2 with no disappearing loco sound problems on two speakers, could you mention it here, so I could look for the model when it comes time for to buy a replacement for this one.

I'm off now. Into the wild blue yonder!! Captain Bob.:cool:

Hi
If your still looking for British loco`s and stock I would suggest looking on:

http://forum.uktrainz.co.uk/

You will have to register but its free, on the forums there is a list of most diesels and other forums include what is available and where, most of the Trains I use are for 2004 and it is a nice friendly place to visit.

A lot of the British content makers post on there as well.

I will try your link Pladroid, and perhaps I will register ! Thanks Much.:)

==========================================

Well, I looked up an author's username given in this thread, and there in front of my eyes, were Class 90 UK Electric locos with catenary, (one of the items I really needed).

Very good locos, Now, I have two!

Now I'll go look for UK rolling stock that might use the LARS or the other Queing system I don't fully know the name of ! That should be easy. I've tried numerous times!

I should be successful this time, since I'm feeling real lucky. Thanks again! Bob P.

Thanks Itareus for that last link, many interesting-looking items there! I will slowly digest that!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I actually did get lucky in my last search on the DLS for some good UK freight rolling stock...

Got a BR JUA BSSW British Steel Ore Wagon. Very nice indeed, has Chameleon skins I can change.. It works with the Auran Coal Mine at least. Who knows what else it works with? It has quite a list of cargos!

Managed to find that by temporarily figuring out those extra "input" search windows at the bottom of the Download Station Screen. Only available after you have failed a few times, I have found out...

Selected United Kingdom, Side-dumping (or whatever it said, I think it said the magic word, "hoppers").

So how easy was that?? Only 2 years of attempting to search (off-and-on), and I finally have a new UK freight car!! I knew I would be getting lucky !! Didn't I say I felt lucky??

And by the way, the thingy on top of the Electric locomotives is called a "Pantograph" (I knew that)! I was just trying to fool everyone by calling it a "catenary". How do you spell that darned word?

And I have figured out the Analogoldguy "Essential UK Collection"...

2 more really nicely modeled steam locos for yard work and fairly short hauls, freight and passenger.
2 more electrics with pantographs, (especially freight hauling).
3 more hopper cars, or whatever they are called in GB.
4 Tanker cars, or whatever they are called there.
4 modern boxcars for carrying pallets of Panasonic VCRs....(that's a joke).
4 more plank type wagons possibly with working doors, for carrying Panasonic....
4 more types of blood and custard cars with doors and interiors .. I need more luck for finding these...

Oh yes, and that Class 08 Shunter. I want to get one of those. And some of those other Class numbers, if they look different, and give me more variety.

Great! All your links and advice will be very helpful! Analogoldguy.:D

Well on my way!

Friends, I'm well on my way to an updated UK collection!

Two BR Class 90 locomotives.

I finally got my first BR Class 08 the other day. (the cab is on what I thought was the back end)???

A BR JUA ore wagon...

An LMS Dual Vented Van ...

3 varieties of MK2f passenger cars .....

And today, I downloaded my first Class 20 loco....do these Class 20's really sound like asthmatic canaries on respirators ???

And boy, that Obo's catalog was really helpful! Along with the Tafweb site!

See you later! :wave: Bob P.

And today, I downloaded my first Class 20 loco....do these Class 20's really sound like asthmatic canaries on respirators ???

See you later! :wave: Bob P.
Indeed Bob they do sound a bit strange but their sister locos the class 40s have the same sort of whistling sound, thats why 20s where given the nickname of whistling wardrobes and 40s the nickname of whistlers.....they where both from the same era and using the same kind of engine(except the 20s have 8 less cylinders than a 40) and the same brand of turbo chargers(the company who made them are still in buisness to this very day I believe). Here is a video of the ELR's very own 20087 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hDmz_9ew4&feature=sub
Ross

Last edited:
Back