low poly route, the chop is on

Hi To all
Dont forget Water
If you use water make sure you only use what you require
Use the grid setting to see what is laying beneath
one area of Route Im working on had a small area of water like a small dam dropped the water height but did not remove excess did not think it would make much diffrence till I built a yard next to it
Half the yard was under water.
use only one texture for use under water
Also watch use of reeds and tall grass and choose Trees wiseley some have over 1000 pollys
Archar

The tests i did were in 06 has anyone else tried it in 06 I have been trying to get rid of textures using eraser. i am using 2 of my modules renamed & have done up to 5 passes with eraser on each & still have textures.there are no textures appearing in Surveyor but there still in CMP & it believes they are still on the maps.If you delete them they then become missing dependence's so they must be still there you just can't see them.
As I can't use trainz object I wonder if one of your those maps if imported to TRS2006 will show missing textures?

Dave

This subject has come up many times over the years and there still seems to be no definitive answers. I do remember some talk from the OLD forum about somehow manually deleting the unwanted textures from the GND files themseleves without using Trainz Objectz or CMP. I remember the discussions saying that once you use a texture, no matter how many times you paint over it, it is still there and part of the GND file. The catch was that you could "mess up the file" and destroy the layout so to speak in deleting the textures this way, but if you made a back up copy you sould be OK in case of such a disaster.

I would like to know how, if someone remembers, how to delete these unwanted textures from the GND files (or however it was done). I have a large layout that when I first started I did a tremendous amount of experimenting with blending textures. After a lot of trial and error and hard work, I narrowed the number of textures in the layout to maybe 100-150 or so. At this point I would like to be able to add in some new textures, but I cannot because somewhere in the process I used up the 256 quota of textures a layout can use. It would be nice to delete those unwanted textures at this point and time.

Anyone out there remember how to do this???

I tried the same test as jost62 in TRS2006 it worked fine with the same test & only left toe two textures but there seems to be a problem with more.Say 6+ textures then they don't all delete.In one of my modules i have 46+ after about 8+ passes with eraser there are still about 7 textures which refuse to delete,have tried the same thing with other routes with multiple textures & thew same result all removed but for the last 1/2 dozen or so.

I also thought textures could be removed in 04 I thought i also did it at times but can't remember how.

Dave

Any time I need to change textures I cover the area to be changed completely with ERAZOR mesh. Then, I run my new ERAZORa program and it removes (completely) the texture(s) from that area. Then I repaint with what texture I want. This avoids the overlaying of textures.

My ERAZORa program will also allow you to actually list what textures are found on each board in a TXT file in the route folder (along with other information concerning the route). Any texture reported with a usage count of zero is just taking up space in the table and is NOT used in the route. If a newer texture needs the table slot it will be put there.

The best way to help create cuts and fills is to use "Helper Mesh 10" instead of ERAZOR mesh. It has the same features as ERAZOR mesh, but looks brown instead of electric blue.

Bill

Last edited:
Any time I need to change textures I cover the area to be changed completely with ERAZOR mesh. Then, I run my new ERAZORa program and it removes (completely) the texture(s) from that area. Then I repaint with what texture I want. This avoids the overlaying of textures.

My ERAZORa program will also allow you to actually list what textures are found on each board in a TXT file in the route folder (along with other information concerning the route). Any texture reported with a usage count of zero is just taking up space in the table and is NOT used in the route. If a newer texture needs the table slot it will be put there.

The best way to help create cuts and fills is to use "Helper Mesh 10" instead of ERAZOR mesh. It has the same features as ERAZOR mesh, but looks brown instead of electric blue.

Bill

Are you saying there ate 2 separate programs ? if so is the other available?

Don't worry found it & will give it a go.

dave

Last edited:
Have tried the new erazor in TRS006 & after about 4-5 passes on the same map 23 boards are still left with 11 textures showing in CMP & also in erazor report thought all boards are clear & untextured with all scenery & track in place. This shows at least 250 textures although theres only about 94 in the original map i copied for the test.

Dave

Information File for 'mapfile.gnd' on: 09/14/2007, 12:18:21

FILE HEADER
GND Version = 11
Number of boards = 23

SECTION TABLE
Board Number: 1 N/S = 0 E/W = 0 Vertex Offset = 4228 Minimap Offset = 59374
Board Number: 2 N/S = 0 E/W = 1 Vertex Offset = 124928 Minimap Offset = 180585
Board Number: 3 N/S = 0 E/W = 2 Vertex Offset = 246139 Minimap Offset = 301843
Board Number: 4 N/S = 0 E/W = 3 Vertex Offset = 367397 Minimap Offset = 423054
Board Number: 5 N/S = -1 E/W = 3 Vertex Offset = 488608 Minimap Offset = 546301
Board Number: 6 N/S = -2 E/W = 3 Vertex Offset = 611855 Minimap Offset = 667512
Board Number: 7 N/S = -2 E/W = 4 Vertex Offset = 733066 Minimap Offset = 788737
Board Number: 8 N/S = -2 E/W = 5 Vertex Offset = 854291 Minimap Offset = 909948
Board Number: 9 N/S = -2 E/W = 6 Vertex Offset = 975502 Minimap Offset = 1031173
Board Number: 10 N/S = -2 E/W = 7 Vertex Offset = 1096727 Minimap Offset = 1152398
Board Number: 11 N/S = -1 E/W = 7 Vertex Offset = 1217952 Minimap Offset = 1273623
Board Number: 12 N/S = -1 E/W = 8 Vertex Offset = 1339177 Minimap Offset = 1394848
Board Number: 13 N/S = -1 E/W = 9 Vertex Offset = 1460402 Minimap Offset = 1516388
Board Number: 14 N/S = -1 E/W = 10 Vertex Offset = 1581942 Minimap Offset = 1637756
Board Number: 15 N/S = -2 E/W = 10 Vertex Offset = 1703310 Minimap Offset = 1759241
Board Number: 16 N/S = -2 E/W = 11 Vertex Offset = 1824795 Minimap Offset = 1880466
Board Number: 17 N/S = -2 E/W = 12 Vertex Offset = 1946020 Minimap Offset = 2001705
Board Number: 18 N/S = -2 E/W = 13 Vertex Offset = 2067259 Minimap Offset = 2123952
Board Number: 19 N/S = -1 E/W = 13 Vertex Offset = 2189506 Minimap Offset = 2245191
Board Number: 20 N/S = -1 E/W = 14 Vertex Offset = 2310745 Minimap Offset = 2366437
Board Number: 21 N/S = -3 E/W = 14 Vertex Offset = 2431991 Minimap Offset = 2487742
Board Number: 22 N/S = -3 E/W = 13 Vertex Offset = 2553296 Minimap Offset = 2609044
Board Number: 23 N/S = -2 E/W = 14 Vertex Offset = 2674598 Minimap Offset = 2730836
Byte Count = 376

At that point I would use the "Replace a Texture" option and do a replace of the textures you do NOT want with one of your other textures. I thought about letting a person put in a nonexistent KUID, but it caused a couple of unintended problems with my code so I dropped the idea. If you use TrainzObjects that does let you put a nonexistent KUID in for a texture.

Remember also that in my program's texture KUID listing you have in the info file that a usage of "0" is just a placeholder and is NOT used no matter what program says it is.

Bill

Last edited:
Am running a few more tests on 06 maps but CMP has decided to throw a tantrum.Will have to wait until it calms down a bit.

Dave

Refering to my above posting #20: I will try it with 20 textures this weekend. Now I am curious! But I can only test it for 2004.

To all who found after overpainting the old textures still in the map:
In my experiment the overpainted textures dissappiert only after the SECOND saving! And you have to change in this second round at least one item: If no change is made you can press "Save" and it will make no "Save" because the program knows that nothing was changed. By changing one item you force the program to save - and it seems in this second save process the overpainted textures are deleted from the map-file.
And of course: You have to do this overpainting thoroughly. We all know that if you only paint over a texture shortly, you still have transparency where two (or more?) textures are shining through the other. In this case of course the old texture still in the map.

Well I've done about 4 passes over the same map in TRS2006 now started off with 115 textures and still left with about 18 none of which none are visible in surveyor. Then opened/closed the map & saved ( just moved a secenery object ) about 3 times then filled with 1 texture & saved.

Only 1 texture visable in surveyor but CMP & Erasor still show about 6 in total

Dave

I still don't buy the idea that the textures are "gone forever". Yes maybe Trainz Objects or CMP might say they are gone, but as I mentioned previously in this thread. I used the limit of 256 textures per layout and later ones that I knew I was not using I manually deleted them from the layout using Trainz Objects. I don't know what the final number is, but I know it is between 150-200 and I still cannot add or use any more textures in the layout.

These textures are somehow still referenced or hidden in the GND file even though Trainz Objects says they are gone.

Try your experiment and add 256 textures to a layout, delete them and then see if you can still add more textures. I dont have the time at the moment to do this myself.

As I mentioned before, someone did say there was a way at one time to manually remove these from the .GND file and wish I had saved that post.

Here is how to remove GND textures:

1 Edit route in TRS2004 (I don't know how to do this in 06).

2 Use TrainzObjectz or other means to identify the KUIDs you want to remove.

3 Go to the "world/dispatcher/dowloads" and MOVE the offending KUIDs somewhere else.

4 Start Trainz and open route, you will be greeted with the "missing items" page.

5 Bypass the missing items page and open route in surveyor.

6 Use the surveyor menu to "remove missing assets".

7 Close route, close Trainz.

8 Restart TrainzObjectz and offending KUIDS should be gone when using the map dependencies table.

9 Do whatever needed with the moved KUIDS from step 3, delete, move back into dispatcher folder, etc.

10 Thank yourself for not using TRS06 to build routes and pop open a brew, the GND file is now changed.

Back