Linux doesn't see my Classics DVD, but can see everything else

Lo_Poly

Unidentified bogie
Ok... I have the Railwayz box which contains both Classics and TRS2006 on DVDs. The target OS is ubuntu.

This is what I get when I insert The TRS2006 DVD (sorry for the screenshot util in the way, but you can see the TRS2006 DVD in the background):

And this is what I get when I insert the Classics DVD (The classics DVD can not be explored):

Does anyone know what's wrong here? :( The disks are pristine and clean. I also have WINE installed.

Last edited:
That sounds a familiar problem, i have come across lots of problems like this before....

1) Are you using any sort of virtual drive software that could be intefering? Such as power iso, nero or alcohol 120%?

2) Certain drives don't like reading certain DVD's and CD-roms that are inserted. Perhaps your dvd drive don't like reading certain disks?

3) What model is your dvd drive my friend?

The only other thing i can suggest that, is your drives firmware upto date? if it's a DVD RW drive when you burn DVD's or CD's does the drive accept certain makes? My Pioneer 111D Had a Similar problem, I updated the drives firmware to ver.1.29.

Hope This helps...

Regards

Chris

That sounds a familiar problem, i have come across lots of problems like this before....

1) Are you using any sort of virtual drive software that could be intefering? Such as power iso, nero or alcohol 120%?

2) Certain drives don't like reading certain DVD's and CD-roms that are inserted. Perhaps your dvd drive don't like reading certain disks?

3) What model is your dvd drive my friend?

The only other thing i can suggest that, is your drives firmware upto date? if it's a DVD RW drive when you burn DVD's or CD's does the drive accept certain makes? My Pioneer 111D Had a Similar problem, I updated the drives firmware to ver.1.29.

Hope This helps...

Regards

Chris

I doubt it is the DVD drive, because I have two DVD drives, and it cannot read Classics in either one. Also, both work perfectly fine in Windows.

As for 1), not that I know of.

Try copying classic to a windows partition using windows, then switching to ubuntu mount that partition and install from there.

Cheers David

ok copy the DVD to a folder in windows (any partition is fine)
reboot into Ubuntu
drop down the 'my places' menu
click on 'computer' (I think thats right, I'm in XP at the moment)
right click on the volume you have classics on
click on 'mount'
If you are not sure which volume has classics on mount them all :)

now the drive should show on the desktop
install through wine as per wine instructions

Cheers David

ok copy the DVD to a folder in windows (any partition is fine)
reboot into Ubuntu
drop down the 'my places' menu
click on 'computer' (I think thats right, I'm in XP at the moment)
right click on the volume you have classics on
click on 'mount'
If you are not sure which volume has classics on mount them all :)

now the drive should show on the desktop
install through wine as per wine instructions

Cheers David

Of course, this assumes you have Windoze.
I'd check the Ubuntu and/or WINE forums for info, also, this might help. Lost_Soul's old Trainz-Linux guide has disappeared, unfortunately, and I haven't put Trainz on my Linux box due to the fact that it has a TNT2 graphics card with a whopping 32 megabytes of video memory.

For the record, I had the same problem with my Win2K machine. The DVD would read on my XP machine so I copied the content to a folder on my desktop and then burned a new data DVD. The new DVD installed fine.

William

Back