Windows 8 and TRAINZ

Now, about VM's John. I've used a Windows 8 VM, and I was not impressed, so I know what I'll be sticking for when (if) I get my new computer built!

Personally, windows 8 is O.K, but windows xp is excellent for running any version of trainz. I have windows 8.1 and windows xp SP3 on separate computers, and I am still not sure which one I like better. I have tried windows 7 and vista, and xp too. If you know windows 7, 8 is easy and is a little lighter on resources. I have TRS2006 running on windows 8 BUT, and that is a big but, it takes longer to load and it crashes oftenly, unlike on windows 7 or XP.
It is really your choice which OS you choose.

Personally, windows 8 is O.K, but windows xp is excellent for running any version of trainz. I have windows 8.1 and windows xp SP3 on separate computers, and I am still not sure which one I like better. I have tried windows 7 and vista, and xp too. If you know windows 7, 8 is easy and is a little lighter on resources. I have TRS2006 running on windows 8 BUT, and that is a big but, it takes longer to load and it crashes oftenly, unlike on windows 7 or XP.
It is really your choice which OS you choose.

While the OS you use is a personal choice, it is best to use the one that offers optimal performance, security and future support path. Windows XP has finally lost full support from Microsoft, given that it opens the OS up to exploitation through lack a of hot fixes, it does more or less force users to move to a more modern and overall better operating system such as Windows 8.1.

While the OS you use is a personal choice, it is best to use the one that offers optimal performance, security and future support path. Windows XP has finally lost full support from Microsoft, given that it opens the OS up to exploitation through lack a of hot fixes, it does more or less force users to move to a more modern and overall better operating system such as Windows 8.1.
Blah, Win7 would still I say be the best option for Trainz. Wishing that Win7 was still the dominant OS and not Windows 8

Blah, Win7 would still I say be the best option for Trainz. Wishing that Win7 was still the dominant OS and not Windows 8

Well, considering I've used a variety of Windows OS's as far back as XP through student licenses I would disagree. Though I used Windows 7 for a good amount of time I moved to 8 once the first service pack was released as it made using the OS more like a traditional desktop with optional modern UI elements as opposed to modern UI with desktop elements. The OS is overall quicker, boots quicker from the same SSD and is much better optimised for multi-core processors, hence I received higher synthetic benchmark scores for my FX6300 just by changing the OS. That and Windows 7 has started to lose support with base installations of Windows 7 without service pack 1 losing support next January. Most people will be up to date as far as service packs are concerned so this should not be an issue initially however.

Win7 with SP1 is supported to 2020. No need to bother about upgrading yet. Doesn't matter if 8.1 is any good or not, some of us clearly just do not like, want or need it as indicated here http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-x-usage-declines-7000031181/

I'm merely arguing in defence of 8.1 since it doesn't have the best of reputations. I have said nothing against Windows 7, if anything I think it was a fine operating system and while it is still supported and secure then it is perfectly fine to continue to use. However consider those moving on from Vista and any previous OS, 8.1 is easily the best option considering it simply improves on what 7 got right in terms of performance and other factors. That and Windows 7 isn't even available at retail any more, you will probably be able to find a copy from several retailer but for reference Overclockers.co.uk have no copies of Windows 7 Home Premium left, which may become a trend amongst other retailers as stock supplies dwindle.

Jack

Well, considering I've used a variety of Windows OS's as far back as XP through student licenses I would disagree. Though I used Windows 7 for a good amount of time I moved to 8 once the first service pack was released as it made using the OS more like a traditional desktop with optional modern UI elements as opposed to modern UI with desktop elements. The OS is overall quicker, boots quicker from the same SSD and is much better optimised for multi-core processors, hence I received higher synthetic benchmark scores for my FX6300 just by changing the OS. That and Windows 7 has started to lose support with base installations of Windows 7 without service pack 1 losing support next January. Most people will be up to date as far as service packs are concerned so this should not be an issue initially however.
I've used Windows 98. I liked it, but then XP just made life so much easier. Vista was error filled and not fun, and Win7 was like a modernized Windows XP. I'm using Windows 8.1 (Got meh Free upgrade because I had Windows 8), and I would have to say Windows 8 is actually better. I would have to agree it booted faster, and was maybe a little less resource heavy, but was harder than heck to navigate and still really is. I still think Win7 would be better

I've used Windows 98. I liked it, but then XP just made life so much easier. Vista was error filled and not fun, and Win7 was like a modernized Windows XP. I'm using Windows 8.1 (Got meh Free upgrade because I had Windows 8), and I would have to say Windows 8 is actually better. I would have to agree it booted faster, and was maybe a little less resource heavy, but was harder than heck to navigate and still really is. I still think Win7 would be better

If you upgrade to Windows 8.1 update 1, you lose the Metro start menu at start up and go right the desktop at boot up. Using IOBit's Start Menu 8, you get the best of both worlds with access to the Metro-style apps when you need them as well as other applications all from a Windows 7-style start menu.

John

If the navigating part is your only trouble, you can change it to work like XP/7 with either a free add-on, or less than $10 add-on. I use Classic Start Menu 4.0.4, keeps the wife happy, I was fine without it. Just a suggestion.

Paul

If the navigating part is your only trouble, you can change it to work like XP/7 with either a free add-on, or less than $10 add-on. I use Classic Start Menu 4.0.4, keeps the wife happy, I was fine without it. Just a suggestion.

Paul
While this is probably the most common issue. I've seen that PC's with Win 8.1 don't exactly like coming back from sleep mode. I am running both a laptop and desktop with 8.1 and they both sometimes need to be completely shut down and turned back on when coming out of sleep mode. Other times it takes 3-5+ mins to get them back to life. Trainz actually crashes more on 8.1 than it did Win8. It actually ran smoother on 8 than 8.1, and my graphics card agreed with 8, but it does not appear to agree with Win 8.1, however an upgrade to that is coming anyway. I've noticed programs for XP/Vista that ran on Win 8 no longer run on 8.1 (Yea I've tried that crap called compatibility mode, with 0 results.) Still learning about some of this stuff as I use it more, wish I could really just go back to Win8 rather than 8.1.

While this is probably the most common issue. I've seen that PC's with Win 8.1 don't exactly like coming back from sleep mode. I am running both a laptop and desktop with 8.1 and they both sometimes need to be completely shut down and turned back on when coming out of sleep mode. Other times it takes 3-5+ mins to get them back to life. Trainz actually crashes more on 8.1 than it did Win8. It actually ran smoother on 8 than 8.1, and my graphics card agreed with 8, but it does not appear to agree with Win 8.1, however an upgrade to that is coming anyway. I've noticed programs for XP/Vista that ran on Win 8 no longer run on 8.1 (Yea I've tried that crap called compatibility mode, with 0 results.) Still learning about some of this stuff as I use it more, wish I could really just go back to Win8 rather than 8.1.

Microsoft recently issued a new patch that's supposed to cover power problems on "some machines". I haven't had any trouble with my XPS18 tablet or my desktop PC so I can't tell if it works or not.

Check that you have the latest drivers. Windows 8.1 now has its own set of drivers for video cards and motherboards. I found that out recently myself.

According to Microsoft, there's no going back to Windows 8.0 as W8.1 is the latest standard, and Update 1 is the latest, of latest patches. According the MS, they no longer do service packs; just version updates.

John

I should also say that it is Windows 8.1 64 bit that I am running on my laptop. For some reason, loading routes that are very basic completely freeze up my computer, when on my desktop that is running Windows XP with hardware slower loads it in less than 10 seconds. That is really disappointing to me. I am not sure if I should run it in compatibility mode or not.
I will probably still use Windows XP for quite a while, or at least use Windows 7 which runs TRS2006 on a pretty limited laptop that I used. Vista - I am not even going to go into detail on that. And, by the way, does TRS2006 run on Windows XP Pro 64 bit?

Last edited:
Back