Windows 8 and TRAINZ

So Bob, are you trying to convince us that Windows 8 is bad (because that's not working for me) ... I've actually found that there are features I wish I had on a Windows 7 box that I (still) have and am seriously considering spending another $40.00 to upgrade it (before Friday) ... or is it that you are trying to convince yourself to give Windows 8 another try? I've just noticed that pretty much every thread that has Windows 8 discussions on it that you chime in and point out other opinions from a person or group of people that are complaining about Windows 8 ... just kind of curious ... because this thread is about supporting those that actually WANT to use Windows 8 ... and I certainly understand (and have little doubt) that you do not ... and that certainly is your choice ... and frankly, I'm not trying to convince anyone to move to Windows 8. But, at the same time ... in a thread like this, where there are those of us that have decided to use Windows 8, you posting links to other opinions that contain stories or videos where others are complaining about Windows 8 seems, at best, a waste of your time and effort and at worst a nuisance ... and I am still not sure what you are trying to accomplish ... and frankly, for me, it's falling on deaf ears so-to-speak.

I have personally converted to the next version of Microsoft Windows since the very first version of Windows was released by Microsoft ... and frankly, before that I had upgraded to the latest versions of MS-DOS as they were released ... and regardless, there hasn't been a single instance where there wasn't something that was no longer compatible or something new that took some time to learn and become comfortable with and Windows 8 is no exception. I personally upgrade because I'm a Software Developer that predominantly programs for Microsoft Operating Systems ... and I have been for almost 30 years (in September it will be a full 30 years) ... do I like the new Start Screen and the lack of a menu ... well no, and in the very first post of this thread I put an example of a Free 3rd Party option that gave me back the Start Menu and allowed me to come back to my comfort zone ... but, at the same time, I'm finding features and improvements that were unexpected and I really like / appreciate, and I'm making an effort to learn to become proficient with the new Start Screen ... and it seems others feel the same way ... and I have tried to make this specific thread one where people can come and discuss successes with Windows 8 and TRAINZ and if others want help finding solutions with problems there are having with Windows 8 (and actually WANT to use it) ... they are welcome to provide details of their problems and try to get some assistance.

I guess all-in-all, what I'm trying to say is this... If you are happy with Windows 7 ... or Vista or XP or 2000 or NT, etc, etc, etc ... feel free to stay with it. But when people are having problems with Windows 8 there is no benefit for them to go and read about someone else just complaining about Windows 8 ... unless that article or video actually includes others finding solutions to similar problems ... and if that were the case, I'd welcome the input with open arms. I just can't imagine it being a benefit to you (or anyone) to read or watch others just complaining about Windows 8 ... other than possibly justifying your decision to revert back to Windows 7.

If you want to spend your time within a TRAINZ thread complaining about Windows 8 ... I'd recommend that you start another thread where people can join you in your misery ... seems like a waste of time ... but, hey, to each his own. But, here, we're trying to work with and tweak Windows 8 and make it a better experience with a focus on using it with TRAINZ ... and no offense, but unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation regarding working with Windows 8 ... please feel free to take your conversations elsewhere.

--- Jeff

Last edited:
So Bob, are you trying to convince us that Windows 8 is bad (because that's not working for me) ... I've actually found that there are features I wish I had on a Windows 7 box that I (still) have and am seriously considering spending another $40.00 to upgrade it (before Friday) ... or is it that you are trying to convince yourself to give Windows 8 another try? I've just noticed that pretty much every thread that has Windows 8 discussions on it that you chime in and point out other opinions from a person or group of people that are complaining about Windows 8 ... just kind of curious ... because this thread is about supporting those that actually WANT to use Windows 8 ... and I certainly understand (and have little doubt) that you do not ... and that certainly is your choice ... and frankly, I'm not trying to convince anyone to move to Windows 8. But, at the same time ... in a thread like this, where there are those of us that have decided to use Windows 8, you posting links to other opinions that contain stories or videos where others are complaining about Windows 8 seems, at best, a waste of your time and effort and at worst a nuisance ... and I am still not sure what you are trying to accomplish ... and frankly, for me, it's falling on deaf ears so-to-speak.

I have personally converted to the next version of Microsoft Windows since the very first version of Windows was released by Microsoft ... and frankly, before that I had upgraded to the latest versions of MS-DOS as they were released ... and regardless, there hasn't been a single instance where there wasn't something that was no longer compatible or something new that took some time to learn and become comfortable with and Windows 8 is no exception. I personally upgrade because I'm a Software Developer that predominantly programs for Microsoft Operating Systems ... and I have been for almost 30 years (in September it will be a full 30 years) ... do I like the new Start Screen and the lack of a menu ... well no, and in the very first post of this thread I put an example of a Free 3rd Party option that gave me back the Start Menu and allowed me to come back to my comfort zone ... but, at the same time, I'm finding features and improvements that were unexpected and I really like / appreciate, and I'm making an effort to learn to become proficient with the new Start Screen ... and it seems others feel the same way ... and I have tried to make this specific thread one where people can come and discuss successes with Windows 8 and TRAINZ and if others want help finding solutions with problems there are having with Windows 8 (and actually WANT to use it) ... they are welcome to provide details of their problems and try to get some assistance.

I guess all-in-all, what I'm trying to say is this... If you are happy with Windows 7 ... or Vista or XP or 2000 or NT, etc, etc, etc ... feel free to stay with it. But when people are having problems with Windows 8 there is no benefit for them to go and read about someone else just complaining about Windows 8 ... unless that article or video actually includes others finding solutions to similar problems ... and if that were the case, I'd welcome the input with open arms. I just can't imagine it being a benefit to you (or anyone) to read or watch others just complaining about Windows 8 ... other than possibly justifying your decision to revert back to Windows 7.

If you want to spend your time within a TRAINZ thread complaining about Windows 8 ... I'd recommend that you start another thread where people can join you in your misery ... seems like a waste of time ... but, hey, to each his own. But, here, we're trying to work with and tweak Windows 8 and make it a better experience with a focus on using it with TRAINZ ... and no offense, but unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation regarding working with Windows 8 ... please feel free to take your conversations elsewhere.

--- Jeff

This thread should explain everything Jeff, the ignorance starts on page 9 and get’s stronger towards the end, lol -

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?97164-Train-Simulator-2013-Railsim/page9

--- Jeff

I personally have had a chance to compare Windows 8 to Windows 7 as have other users of Windows 7, as well as reading about many experts in the field of Windows that have come to the same conclusion as I have. I think that Windows 8 is a couple of steps backwards from Windows 7, especially if you have a non-touch screen desktop. The person that brought us Windows 8 was dumped by Microsoft a month after it was launched. There are many complaints from Windows 8 users, about problems with the UI, and many people have opted to roll back to Windows 7 which is a real PIA, after installing Windows 8. If you like Windows 8 and it's "charms" and smartphone appearance, that's wonderful. Hope you enjoy your experience. I just like to warn folks, that are opting to changing to a OS designed for a smartphone, and tablet, that they might find out that on a desktop, it has much to be desired. MS can't even sell Windows 8 for $40, how well do you think it will sell when the price almost triples in a few days?

Last edited:
This thread should explain everything Jeff, the ignorance starts on page 9 and get’s stronger towards the end, lol -

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?97164-Train-Simulator-2013-Railsim/page9

Everybody has a right to an opinion ... I prefer to focus on positives and work towards improving upon the negatives ... in pretty much any situation ... and I certainly have buttons that people can push that can send me off on a negative rant at times ... but in then end, it just tires me out and really doesn't accomplish anything ... and it seems to always end up wasting time I wish I had back.

This thread is about using Windows 8 with focus on specifically using it with TRAINZ. If anyone dislikes Windows 8 ... that's ok ... and as I noted, there are some things I don't particularly care for either ... but that's not what this thread is about ... just saying.

In fact, let me say right here and now ... I won't be commenting on this particular issue in this thread EVER again.

If others do, that's their choice ... I've said my piece ... I don't think there should be any doubt how I feel. I don't believe I need to expand on it. Enough said.

--- Jeff

Everybody has a right to an opinion ... I prefer to focus on positives and work towards improving upon the negatives ... in pretty much any situation ... and I certainly have buttons that people can push that can send me off on a negative rant at times ... but in then end, it just tires me out and really doesn't accomplish anything ... and it seems to always end up wasting time I wish I had back.

I agree, but when those opinions are based on misconceptions (which they often are here) and the response is coming from someone who obviously has no real experience with the subject to begin with, it becomes a problem.

It’s one of the reasons why you’ll never see some of these individuals post in other forums where the ignorance is disputed or isn’t tolerated. They usually thrive on sites where other members are even less knowledgeable then they are, if that’s possible lol.

jkfrench & Derekc75,

it was so easy to fix the problem as per your advice. I have no idea why I could not do it myself. I must be getting old... Many thanks for your help and best luck in your Trainz adventures!

Welcome to the forums jayjay0607.

Are you getting any particular error messages whilst trying to install your TS2009 version?

Shane

I would like to update this thread as it is very pertinent even today. Over the past few months, I've had various Trainz issues which brought me to a point of ripping the DVDs to shreds. Well the constant database repairs and performance may not be TS12-related so much as Windows 8.1. Yes, there are those Trainz moments but not at the frequency I was seeing...

After doing some lengthy investigations, I tracked the problem down to the MS Visual C runtime libraries. They don't work well under Windows 8.1 it seems. It's not just Trainz that has that ill, but many, many other applications. This has to do with the code execution security, and explains the consistent locked memory at C000005 address. The option for this is available on the control panel (windows), but is greyed out due to enabling the Virtual Machine controls in the BIOS as this is needed for better VM performance, and I do use VMs for other things.

More recently, and I'm still confirming this now, I tried running TS12 in Windows 7 compatibility mode. This has worked! I saw much better stability and performance than under Windows 8 natively and I recommend this to those that are having TS12 issues. Content Manager, for some reason, doesn't need this option - just TS12 does. I haven't tried it with CM, but I'm sure it would work fine.

On an unrelated issue where TS12 will drop to the desktop with MVCrt issues... This appears to be game-related and due to sounds drivers. I noticed that if I'm running TS12 windowed and click on desktop then return to TS12, the sounds are louder and then a short time later, the program gets choppy and then crashes. Perhaps this is related to a buffer over run on the sound card, or in my case the built-in sound which actually works better than the Z-series SoundBlaster card I had.

John

@John: Does your finding make a differentiation between upgrades from Vista, Win 7, and Win 8.0 versus native Win 8.1 installations?

@John: Does your finding make a differentiation between upgrades from Vista, Win 7, and Win 8.0 versus native Win 8.1 installations?

There was no compatibility difference, other than better performance, going from Vista to Windows 7. Windows 7 to Windows 8 the performance was about the same, maybe a bit faster. Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 Update 1 was a good performance gain, but that compatibility thing is there for TS12 and probably other applications that I am not aware of.

Again, I confirmed that the compatibility mode checkbox worked for TS12. There is little if any performance difference with it on or off which is a good thing.

John

There was no compatibility difference, other than better performance, going from Vista to Windows 7. Windows 7 to Windows 8 the performance was about the same, maybe a bit faster. Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 Update 1 was a good performance gain, but that compatibility thing is there for TS12 and probably other applications that I am not aware of.
John

I think my question was misinterpreted.. It concerns a blank hard-drive installed with Win 8.1 indigenously as compared with a hard-drive upgraded to Win 8.1 from a lower version: Shouldn't your evaluation of the MS Visual C runtime library impact be separately investigated for these two setups?

I think my question was misinterpreted.. It concerns a blank hard-drive installed with Win 8.1 indigenously as compared with a hard-drive upgraded to Win 8.1 from a lower version: Shouldn't your evaluation of the MS Visual C runtime library impact be separately investigated for these two setups?

Good point, and yes... This was a fresh install up to Windows 8.1 Update 1. I never do upgrades, ever, with an operating system. I did that recently when I reinstalled TS12.

John

...This has to do with the code execution security, and explains the consistent locked memory at C000005 address. The option for this is available on the control panel (windows), but is greyed out due to enabling the Virtual Machine controls in the BIOS as this is needed for better VM performance, and I do use VMs for other things....John

Can you elaborate what option is available on which control panel to unlock C000005?

Can you elaborate what option is available on which control panel to unlock C000005?

The same for Windows 7, and before...

System Properties/Advanced/Performance Options/Advanced/Data Execution Prevention.

Adding in TS12 or any application has no effect.

I read that this maybe due to me running virtual machines and having the virtual machine support enabled in the BIOS. The DEP setting in the BIOS is required for VM support to work, at least on my motherboard.

John

The same for Windows 7, and before...

System Properties/Advanced/Performance Options/Advanced/Data Execution Prevention.

Adding in TS12 or any application has no effect.

John

Thats where I thought. No matter which option is set in DEP, essential windows programs and services are protected. Therefore the MS Visual C/+/++/# dll's will always be subject to DEP, they are essential to the OS. Thats why adding things has no effect.

Also, I don't have any optiom greyed out since I haven't added anything. So how would I unlock C00005?

I know the thrust of your post was the Win 7 compatibility mode and I'll give it a go.

Thats where I thought. No matter which option is set in DEP, essential windows programs and services are protected. Therefore the MS Visual C/+/++/# dll's will always be subject to DEP, they are essential to the OS. Thats why adding things has no effect.

Also, I don't have any optiom greyed out since I haven't added anything. So how would I unlock C00005?

I know the thrust of your post was the Win 7 compatibility mode and I'll give it a go.

That makes sense as Microsoft likes to make what appears to be non-important stuff part of the operating system. This is what lead to DLL-hell so many years ago and probably why we have the mess we have now.

The only way, I found, to get rid of the C00005 memory protection is the Win 7 compatibility mode.

John

Back