Layers TAB - Question

boleyd

I bring up the Layers tab. It says Session. I then do a Save and the "Do You Want To Do This" msg says I am saving into a Route. So, The layers menu display of Session requires further investigation to be certain that is a Route Session or a "Session Session". Or is there some characteristic of the Layers menu that clarifies this?

In the layers tab you can call each layer what you want. Session Layer is not a session, it is just a layer.
The top section saves to your route/map on exit. The bottom section will save into the session on exit. The bottom section will only appear again if you next use, edit session to open the map.

Only scenery objects (tracks, buildings, rolling stock) are saved in the layers. The terrain and groundtextures are always saved with the map. Rules and object properties are saved with the session.

Peter

Are you saying that there are three separate strata - Objects (Layer), terrain/textures(map) Rules and displayable objects (session). I am having trouble internalizing that. It seems at odds with my many years playing with Trainz. I don't doubt your description I just find it so different from what I assumed. I will need to print this and tape it to the display until I totally adapt to it.

Now, I may be part of a very small minority which causes the majority to ask where I have been for all those years. The answer is making unforced errors and not understanding why some thiings did not work all the time.

Last edited:
Peter is confusing you as that is not so. Everything is saved to one layer or another. Just remember that any layer placed in the top section where you have the route layer will be saved as part of the route and will be there when you next open the route for edit.
Everything placed in the bottom section which has the session layer will not show up if you edit the route only. You must use the edit session to see work saved in the bottom section of the layer window.

Peter is confusing you as that is not so. Everything is saved to one layer or another.

Unfortunately, that is not correct. Scenery objects, both visible and invisible, are saved in layers but there are plenty of "things" that are saved as part of a Route or as part of a Session BUT are not saved in any layers. Weather, time, baseboards (and terrain), textures, clutter and turfFX, to name just a few.

See https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Route_and_Session_Basics for details on what is saved in Routes and Sessions and
See https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers for detailed information on layers.

Here we go again. Sounds like you opened the route, gone to a session layer and added stuff. If so you are in the ROUTE and anything saved of the session depending on what it is will then pop up "overwrite route or save as new route."

If you had instead gone to the main (all) route menu, click on the route, then selected sessions (without opening the route) and worked on a session WITHOUT touching any layers, then on saving it will refer to sessions only and NEVER to the route (provided of-course you didn't do anything that is route related like add track). I highly recommend you do not fiddle with layers, because you seem to get lost in them, and unless you're very experience with them, there is absolutely no need for you to go near them. Like many of us say, KISS is the best way to go.

Remember, only ever open a route to edit it. To edit/make sessions open sessions (and not the route).

I highly recommend you do not fiddle with layers, because you seem to get lost in them, and unless you're very experience with them, there is absolutely no need for you to go near them.

There is the paradox. How do you become experienced at using something if you stay away from using it?

Dick... After many posts surrounding this topic I'm still not sure you understand what a "Route" is and what a "Session" is and what the purpose of a "session" might be. Until you get that nailed down you are going to have issues with these things.

The previous 2 posts by pware and mac illustrate the issue very well. Until one understands the basic structure, then every observation seems random.

Back