Layers ( named differently ) and merging routes in TRS2019?

belgian46

Hello,

Does anyone know the following?

1. If you want to merge 2 routes and the layers are all named differently, for example

route 1 has a route-layer, a TransDem-UTM layer, a TransDEM-Vector layer and a session layer

route 2 has a route1-layer, a TransDem1-UTM layer, a TransDEM1-Vector layer and a session layer

What is happening to the layers when merging the routes and what will be the final result of the merged process?

Kind regards

Kurt

Last edited:
They will all merge into one route and keep the names given. The routes session (not layer) will be retained, but the session of the merging route will not merge. I also found that you may have problems with some assets using the same name in both routes. Trainz will only accept one of them.

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your reply (y)

The first route is actually my tramtrain route - yep, still busy with it. Still fine tuning and correcting and remodeling.

The second route contains only UTM tiles, which are, for a part also present in the first route and a simple presentation of a certain track. However, this track is also available in the tramtrain route but then in a more detailed way. The track in the second route is not that important, but the UTM tiles are.

I'm searching for a method to get those UTM-tiles into my TramTrain route ( now in TRS2019 ), because I can't use Transdem to get it directly into TRS2019.

With Transdem version 2.6.5.1 I can get all needed elements using Trainz Tane build 105766.

However, I don't know what will happen when I install the route, created within Trainz Tane build 105766, into TRS2019 and do a merge with my TramTrain route. Only a test will give me the answer.

I think I will also, before doing a merge, have to bring the session layer of tramtrain route into the route layer. :unsure:

Kind regards
Kurt

Last edited:
Hello,

Well, I tried a test. In the first place - merged the session layer into the route layer of my tramtrain route. During the process, Trs2019 crashed. I restarted Trs2019 and couldn't find my route and sessions anymore. It has disappeared. Luckily, I was using a 2nd backup.

Kind regards
Kurt

Last edited:
Hello,

I can continue my test.

Although my backup is installed on a different drive, I found a folder ( dated 24/08/2023 - with hour related to the crashing of TRS2019) on my C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19 -so I restarted my TRS19.exe of my backupinstallation ( different drive ) and via developer menu - started a rebuild database. My tramtrain route and sessions were back.

Kind regards
Kurt

Hello,

Continued my test.

Now, I installed in TRS2019 , the cdp files containing the with Transdem generated route and UTM files ( for Trainz Tane ). Installation went fine - no extra faulties. I have, just like in Tane, 6 faulties - ( error is VE39 : texture of a tga is uniform color - normaly solvable.

I opened the installed route in TRS2019 and the layers have the original names - route1-layer, a TransDem1-UTM layer, a TransDEM1-Vector layer and a session layer.

Next step will be the merge of the routes ( hopefully without a crash of TRS2019 ) 🤞

Kind regards
Kurt

Hi Kurt,

From my experience, make sure you have a very large Windows page file. That really, really helps with the merging otherwise there are crashes. I have 64 GB of RAM and a 256 GB page file and with that I have no problems at all. I could have gone smaller probably, but I just went for it and put in large values for both minimum and maximum file size. If you are using a regular hard drive, be sure to defragment the drive first before setting up the large page file to ensure the file is contiguous.

Hello John,

Thank you for the information. (y)

I have 32 GB of RAM and pagefile = 4,89b GB which is located on the C-drive. What must be the minimum and maximum file sizes of my pagefile?

My C-drive is a 2TB SSD drive, however I'm doing the test with a 6TB regular hard drive. Should I change the pagefile to the other drive ( E-drive )?

6TB drive is ok - no defragmention is necessary.

Kind regards

Kurt

Hello John,

Thank you for the information. (y)

I have 32 GB of RAM and pagefile = 4,89b GB which is located on the C-drive. What must be the minimum and maximum file sizes of my pagefile?

My C-drive is a 2TB SSD drive, however I'm doing the test with a 6TB regular hard drive. Should I change the pagefile to the other drive ( E-drive )?

6TB drive is ok - no defragmention is necessary.

Kind regards

Kurt
I recommend setting up a second page file of 128 GB on your E: drive if this is an internal drive and not a USB-external drive. Set the min and max to be the same size and if your E: drive is an external USB, setup the 128 GB page file on your C: drive.

Hello John,

Thank you for the extra information.

E-drive is internal drive, so I will put the second page file of 128 GB on that drive.
I also changed the page file on my C-drive - now it is 44 GB

Kind regards

Kurt

Last edited:
Hello,

Continued the test - now the merging.

I opened my tramtrain route and added the second route ( with the UTM tiles ) and started the merging process. The working merge environment used to be better in previous Trainz versions. In TRS2019 the merge view is to small. Via the mouse scrolling button I managed to get a view of both routes and place them in a good position ( using the white triangles ( left,right, bottom and above ) in order to start the merge. No crash happened during the merging process.

Saved the merged route with a new name and had a look a the layer environment. All layers of both routes were present.

But, the second route added in the merging process has a difference. When I look at the UTM-tiles they all have a misty haze. I checked environment and there was a fog density active.

When I open this route seperately, all UTM-tiles have a normal look. Strange, because both routes separately do not have any fog density active.

Kind regards

Kurt

Last edited:
Hello,

Continued, or a least I tried to continue my tests.

Strangly, in the merged route, I have several route layers, all having different names. However, for some strange reason, in the folder structure of the route on my harddisk, there is only 1 file with extension .lyr available.

Or, are the layers within the merged route written in other files with different extension names? :unsure:

Kind regards

Kurt

Hello,

Continued, or a least I tried to continue my tests.

Strangly, in the merged route, I have several route layers, all having different names. However, for some strange reason, in the folder structure of the route on my harddisk, there is only 1 file with extension .lyr available.

Or, are the layers within the merged route written in other files with different extension names? :unsure:

Kind regards

Kurt
The information for all the different layers is kept in that file. Don't touch it, otherwise you'll corrupt your route.

The information for all the different layers is kept in that file. Don't touch it, otherwise you'll corrupt your route.
Hello John,

Thank you again for the information.

So, every route has its unique file.lyr and this file cannot be used in any other route. Correct?

Kind regards

Kurt

Hello John,

Ok, that is very clear. Now back to the drawing board and try to find another option and hopefuly useful solution.

Kind regards

Kurt

Back