Latitude and Longitude

ish6

Since 2001
Hello Community --

Starting from the first baseboard, do trainz give us a Latitude and Longitude coordinates / of some kind!?

Now, why am I asking? Well, if you have seen the Marsz map in the "massive layout thread" you will see it's huge, and that's what can be seen, so I am trying to locate the bases that are scattered using a Latitude and Longitude pattern!

Now, I'm aware that perhaps this is a bit more advance for trainz, but I know x-plane and other flying sims do use it when connected, and yes I know that those sims are different since trainz is not connected to the net like those games, although I have suggested to N3V ,especially for getting real world weather patterns! --- still, etc

Well... any feed back is welcome! :wave:
Thanks in advance
Ish

Hi Ish

I seem to recall an object made for TRS2004, possibly by Martinvk (?), that gave its location on the map based on the co-ords of the world origin and its distance from it. If I'm not dreaming and it really exists, it would be on the DLS somewhere and you could place one at every base to read their locations.

Hi Ish

I seem to recall an object made for TRS2004, possibly by Martinvk (?), that gave its location on the map based on the co-ords of the world origin and its distance from it. If I'm not dreaming and it really exists, it would be on the DLS somewhere and you could place one at every base to read their locations.

Hello Deane,

How have you been, sir?
Just got back into trainz, a few weeks ago -- Getting reading for TANE, etc! Looking forward how it will treat my massive route!

Hope things are well at your end of the world!

Yes, sir, found it: :wave:
https://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=169699

Crazy thing, I thought I was dreaming too, because I had this feeling such an object existed trainz, and then you point it out, sir! LOL

Thanks a bunch -- :)
Take care now!!!!
Ishie

World Origin Tools

Hello Community --

Starting from the first baseboard, do trainz give us a Latitude and Longitude coordinates / of some kind!?

Now, why am I asking? Well, if you have seen the Marsz map in the "massive layout thread" you will see it's huge, and that's what can be seen, so I am trying to locate the bases that are scattered using a Latitude and Longitude pattern!

Now, I'm aware that perhaps this is a bit more advance for trainz, but I know x-plane and other flying sims do use it when connected, and yes I know that those sims are different since trainz is not connected to the net like those games, although I have suggested to N3V ,especially for getting real world weather patterns! --- still, etc

Well... any feed back is welcome! :wave:
Thanks in advance
Ish

Check your manual for World Origin Tools. Here's part of the section:

World Origin Tools

The second tab, signified by the globe icon, contains the
World Origin and Session Date settings.
The World Origin is a marker
that you place anywhere on
your route to set the latitude,
longitude and altitude of the
origin marker.

Trig Stations (found in the
Objects Menu) can then be
placed anywhere on your
route to identify the exact lat/
long and altitude of location.
Zoom in close to a Trig Station
and rotate to see the digital
readout of lat and long.

Tip: Use the ‘?’ icon to name the Trig Station using the format
“xx xxx.xxx N/S xxx xx.xxx W/E” and then use Ctrl F to bring
up a list of all named objects. Click on the lat/long you are
looking for from the list and you effectively have an unlimited
number of bookmarks

Good Morning Activerail --
Thank very much for the info, sir! -- very informative!:wave:
Ish

You should be aware that the Trig Stations will be less accurate the further they get away from the World Origin. This is due to the angular math used in the calculation - it isn't spherical geometry - just 'flat earth'. This isn't much of a problem for a fictional route, but if you are using a DEM of an actual area, then be prepared to "adjust" things a little.

Bill

You should be aware that the Trig Stations will be less accurate the further they get away from the World Origin. This is due to the angular math used in the calculation - it isn't spherical geometry - just 'flat earth'. This isn't much of a problem for a fictional route, but if you are using a DEM of an actual area, then be prepared to "adjust" things a little.

Bill

Good Morning Bill!

Thanks for the tip, sir! :D

Although NASA has mapped out Marsz regions (DEM), I haven't use it, so, the terrain is somewhat a fictional landscape (you know, just having fun with it all), but still using the tools above to specific locations, since the route terrain really spanned outwards for miles and miles (Km's)!

Well, thanks again, sir, and you have yourself a good day!:wave:

Ishie

Hello Everyone.

Once you place the world origin, how do you locate it? And what if it can't be remove, then what?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ish

You place the world origin by going to the Main Menu - Edit Environment. On the second tab down on the left, there are three buttons: Add/Move & Find & Edit for the world origin. As far as I know, you can't delete it once you add it. But, you can just ignore it.

Bill

You place the world origin by going to the Main Menu - Edit Environment. On the second tab down on the left, there are three buttons: Add/Move & Find & Edit for the world origin. As far as I know, you can't delete it once you add it. But, you can just ignore it.

Bill

Good Morning Bill --

Thanks for your post, and if I may...

A question, sir, what's the significant of resetting the world origin, and once it's reset how do you activate! --- It just stays on zero when one clicks on it!

Thanks in advance, sir :wave:

Ishie

What the heck is "World Origin" used for ... what is its function ?

If you have 2 routes, and you merge them ... are there 2 world origins ?

Last edited:
It's latitude determines things like the arc of the sun and the timing of the seasons (although only whether the layout is in the northern or southern hemisphere). If you're merging 2 layouts, I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's the origin of the first map in the merging process that counts.

Good Morning Bill --

Thanks for your post, and if I may...

A question, sir, what's the significant of resetting the world origin, and once it's reset how do you activate! --- It just stays on zero when one clicks on it!

Thanks in advance, sir :wave:

Ishie

Placing the WO on a route, in effect, activates it. Then you use the WO - Edit button to change what coordinates it represents. If you Reset it, the coordinates go back to their default values. You can put any legitimate value into the coordinate fields and then click the N/S or E/W buttons to indicate hemisphere. The most interesting feature of the WO is when you set the altitude, it makes your whole route relative to that altitude. This is handy if you want a base altitude and work from that in either direction - up or down.

To actually use the WO, you place "Trig Stations" wherever you want them and they indicate where they are (by coordinates) and altitude (I think) in relation to the WO. If, for instance, you want a spot exactly one half of a degree North of the WO, you move the Trig Station North until it indicates it is a half-degree from the WO.

Placing a WO at a known spot on a DEM route, and adding Trig Stations go guide you to special spots will work, but only up to around 250 miles. This is because (I think) the programmers for Trainz used an algorithm named "flat earth" for their calculations. Since most routes are nowhere near that size, no problem.

And, as D_R points out, you can simply delete the WO as a static object.

Bill

It's latitude determines things like the arc of the sun and the timing of the seasons (although only whether the layout is in the northern or southern hemisphere). If you're merging 2 layouts, I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's the origin of the first map in the merging process that counts.

Hello Deane,
Thanks for your post, sir:wave:
Ishie

Placing the WO on a route, in effect, activates it. Then you use the WO - Edit button to change what coordinates it represents. If you Reset it, the coordinates go back to their default values. You can put any legitimate value into the coordinate fields and then click the N/S or E/W buttons to indicate hemisphere. The most interesting feature of the WO is when you set the altitude, it makes your whole route relative to that altitude. This is handy if you want a base altitude and work from that in either direction - up or down.

To actually use the WO, you place "Trig Stations" wherever you want them and they indicate where they are (by coordinates) and altitude (I think) in relation to the WO. If, for instance, you want a spot exactly one half of a degree North of the WO, you move the Trig Station North until it indicates it is a half-degree from the WO.

Placing a WO at a known spot on a DEM route, and adding Trig Stations go guide you to special spots will work, but only up to around 250 miles. This is because (I think) the programmers for Trainz used an algorithm named "flat earth" for their calculations. Since most routes are nowhere near that size, no problem.

And, as D_R points out, you can simply delete the WO as a static object.

Bill

Hello Bill,

A second question, sir, if I may...

When I reset the WO allOF the numbers went to zero (default values as you said above), so, in your estimate, sir, what number would you in put it, when the WO sits in the center of large route, or in any route size?

... And, thank you so for your comments above; Tey're very informative in understanding the WO workings!:wave:

Take Care!
Ishie

Back