Availability Of (Somewhat) Realistic Crash Physics

AlextheAC4400

Like some of you who might be reading this, I am an enjoyer of Thunderbolt 1000 Siren Productions, and his top notch rail disaster documentary's. Something I have noticed in his documentary on the 1996 Cajon Pass Runaway (Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05gJcYvvuSs&list=PLULsURa0yS0BDR_PCR_6TokMOQSzdOIpc&index=3 . Watch it if you haven't already, its really well done) is that in the simulation he used (Which was created by ConrailFan76) When H-BALT-1-31 Careens off the tracks at the dry creek bed (Skip to 2:39 for the derailment), the train doesn't just stop on a dime once it derails. Rather, the train and its consist continue on their trajectory and scatter all over the creek bed in a manner that seems more realistic then the average Trainz derailment. I have always advocated for realistic crash physics in any vehicle based game I play weather it be NASCAR, Flight Simulators, or in this case Trainz. This is a reason why I have always admired MSTS as it has the most realistic and satisfying crashes in any train simulator I have ever seen (When you aren't flying at 1000+MPH in a Dash 9 that is). My point is, unlike MSTS, when your train crashes in Trainz, it just stops immediately in the most painful way possible. When I look at the simulation in Thunder's documentary and see the train crashes in a somewhat realistic fashion (Minus the cars phasing through one another), it makes me wonder, is there a way I can activate or acquire such crash physics for my Trainz sessions? I have reason to believe there might be as in the documentary, the derailed cars have the modern day yellow X over them entailing that the version of Trainz used is TANE at the oldest. If anyone knows how I can get these realistic crash physics for myself it would be very much appreciated!
Happy Rails,
Alex

Like some of you who might be reading this, I am an enjoyer of Thunderbolt 1000 Siren Productions, and his top notch rail disaster documentary's. Something I have noticed in his documentary on the 1996 Cajon Pass Runaway (Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05gJcYvvuSs&list=PLULsURa0yS0BDR_PCR_6TokMOQSzdOIpc&index=3 . Watch it if you haven't already, its really well done) is that in the simulation he used (Which was created by ConrailFan76) When H-BALT-1-31 Careens off the tracks at the dry creek bed (Skip to 2:39 for the derailment), the train doesn't just stop on a dime once it derails. Rather, the train and its consist continue on their trajectory and scatter all over the creek bed in a manner that seems more realistic then the average Trainz derailment. I have always advocated for realistic crash physics in any vehicle based game I play weather it be NASCAR, Flight Simulators, or in this case Trainz. This is a reason why I have always admired MSTS as it has the most realistic and satisfying crashes in any train simulator I have ever seen (When you aren't flying at 1000+MPH in a Dash 9 that is). My point is, unlike MSTS, when your train crashes in Trainz, it just stops immediately in the most painful way possible. When I look at the simulation in Thunder's documentary and see the train crashes in a somewhat realistic fashion (Minus the cars phasing through one another), it makes me wonder, is there a way I can activate or acquire such crash physics for my Trainz sessions? I have reason to believe there might be as in the documentary, the derailed cars have the modern day yellow X over them entailing that the version of Trainz used is TANE at the oldest. If anyone knows how I can get these realistic crash physics for myself it would be very much appreciated!
Happy Rails,
Alex

Thats how the early games of Trainz handled derailments. From the video it looks like he used invisible track and the train went on that and then derailed. Forget which game exactly got rid of Trains acting like that I think it might have been TS12. Wouldnt mind going back to that as it brings a little more realism to the game. But there are so many things that need improving first before we get this I think.

Forget which game exactly got rid of Trains acting like that I think it might have been TS12.

From a past post by Tony (or was it Zec?) on this issue (which pops up quite often) that particular style of crashing was removed because it conflicted with the PhysX system, if I recall correctly. Like a lot of things, it is a matter of compromise. Do we bring back the previous crashes and drop the PhysX system, or keep PhysX and do without these crashes? No matter which choice you make not everyone will be pleased. But I vote (if anyone asks) to keep the PhysX system.

Back