Kuju Rail Simulator Demo at GameShadow

I gave the demo a run last night as I am waiting for the UP 9000 and some Route CD's from Auran. (too much info)

I liked what I saw. the Black 5 Steam loco, I thought was awesome, and the Sim ran very smooth for me. I am on 3+year old computer. :)

However I will stick with Trainz. I have too much invested in it.

I am going to wait for MSTS2 or what Auran have install.

Still I am sure I will give the demo another run.

Regards

I have to say, from a performance point of view it's incredible. My PC was zapped in a power surge a few months back and I still have no graphics card, yet using on-board graphics with a less-than-beastly AMD Sempron, I'm still getting 14fps.

I've already caught the reskinning / content modification bug! All WIP except the first two shots.

47.jpg

45c66615.jpg

2c75d5e3.jpg

7aabe539.jpg

I don't know why people are even interested in the new MSTS to be honest. RS hasn't even been out three months and already we've had:

- Additional official content to download - loco reskins, extra rolling stock and scenarios, with more on the way such as the Class 08 and Class 101 DMU.
- A decent set of developer tools and the relevant documentation.
- Suggestions from the developer that the first patch will be released in January to fix a number of bugs / omissions and also to improve the general user-friendliness of the sim. None of the current bugs make it unplayable or any less fun IMO.
- At least one commercial addon released, and a bunch of others in the works.
A whole load of freeware third-party reskins to download, with third-party content starting to filter through. Only scenery for now, but locomotives and rolling stock are in development.

Look back at MSTS:

- Six AWFUL default routes.
- Very poor-quality built-in locomotives and rolling stock, when compared to the models available in other games / sims at the time.
- Developer tools released with the sim as an afterthought. Awful package, no wonder the built-in routes were so naff.
- 18 months before the first commercial addon was released.
- 7 months before the first patch was released, at which point MS essentially abandoned MSTS to allow the community to do whatever they wanted with it.

A company like MS quite frankly has far better things to do than look after niche markets, and I just can't see them putting as much effort / development time into MSTSX as they do into hugely profitable areas like Windows, Office and Flight Simulator (very mainstream piece of software with a new release every year, ka-ching!)

RSDL (Kuju) on the other hand are putting a ridiculous amount of effort into RS and it's clear they intend to support their product thoroughly. They are aware of the issues with it and are working on fixing them, when they could quite happily have grabbed our money and run.

JB

Back