Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

@Lance_Jago,

I want only "A new grafic engine".

How old is it? 5 years or more?

The problem is the old one doesn't do too badly. It could probably do with recompiling so that it can make use of 4 gigs of memory under Vista 64, not a major change, and revamping to make use of the latest graphics video drivers such as DX10 and whatever nVidia is recommending today for performance.

Cheerio John

Hi Steve,

No. It is a reflection of what the very small Trainz team want to know about how the Trainz Community feels..

Cheers.

Mr. Lance Jago

Are you serious? You wish to see a reflection of the trainz community. Every day are the questions on the forum and you don't make the answers. Obviously the competition is coming, are you worried? Don't forget the last good pruduct was 04, 06 is only repetition and Tc... oh, oh..

Regards

I'm afraid that Kuju hasn't been able to afford such a great betatesting team; otherwise, I can't understand such buggy extend... :confused:

Alberte :wave:

Hello

maybe Kuju were afraid the might run into another financial crisis like they did couple years back with original MSTS II project.:hehe:

Lance I could send you and the Brew Crew a original Free copy of KRS Sealed Brand new for free?:D

I've had enough of KRS.

I'm 100% Supporting Auran's Trainz

Regards

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
I think Lance_Jago's original question should have been, "What on earth were you thinking of when you bought Railsimulator?"
I voted, "expected more" in the poll, I would have added "I'm sticking with Trainz", but the poll would not allow it. :D

DaveW

Last edited:
techni;182658@all KRS is wrong - RS - from [B said:
Rail Simulator Developments Ltd[/b]

Look here http://www.railsimulator.com/support

KUJU have now nothing to do with Rail Simulator.

Er, actually, whilst you are technically correct in that it should be referred to as RS and not KRS, it is developed by Kuju, in the same was as Trainz is developed by Auran.

See here: http://www.kuju.com/kuju_studios.php
And the link on the RS homepage to KUJU is still there too: http://www.railsimulator.com/home

I think Lance laughs at the competition - maybe he sabotaged it? (joke!)

Trainz is far from a poor program, and it seems that RS has reminded a few people about that, regardless of the fact that RS appears to be in the same state as both MSTS and TRS when they were new (actually I'm assuming that last one - I only jumped on the Trainz bandwagon with TRS2004PE, but other people have suggested it). Myself, I think I'll still get it. Eventually, but not now because I currently do not have any money :( rather than because some people don't like it.

I think in regards to the existing Trainz engine, I actually quite like it, though it perhaps could be tuned to run more efficiently. What a lot of people fail to understand is that this process takes time and therefore salary, and as such I would be prepared to pay a suppliment for a service pack, perhaps coupled with some nice content? This sounds similar to TC - funny that. As long as TCs are interesting (and the S&C would be my first) then I'll continue to support Auran, who are market leaders through dedication, community liason [sp?] and raw experience.

BidMod's ~1p at current exchange rates.

Trainz still does it very well

After seeing the new poll about KRS on these forums, I have decided to post my thoughts here.

After playing KRS however, I have certainly never had a more immersive experience in a train simulator.
The sounds of the steam locomotives is an absolute delight, all the way from zero to eighty miles per hour. The steam sounds really help you feel how fast you're actually going.

The bugs are numerous, but they certainly don't take away from enjoying the sim. There are far too many people getting hung up on silly things, without letting themselves actually have fun with it. ...
Have you read the thread on signalling ? It would appear that Kuju doesn't have a clue as to how to signal a railroad. And you thought that Trainz had signalling problems.

When driving your steam engine, how do you keep from derailing? Many people report that exceeding the limit by even a very small margin will end the game. And it appears that there is almost no advanced warning as to the state of the switches, speed changes, etc.

Even the built-in stock seems to be full of errors

It might be immersive but in what? :hehe:

The bugs are numerous, but they certainly don't take away from enjoying the sim. There are far too many people getting hung up on silly things, without letting themselves actually have fun with it.

With all my respect and care for your opinion, I must say that IMVHO this is not silly...

passengersontrack.png

...but suicidal... I do not like running my loco onto these helpless clonical people, pity them!

and this is not realistic...

delticrs_nobrandname.jpg

..but a photo pasted onto a scarcely credible depthless sky.

But it's only my VHO. Important for me but not for others... ;) I must admit that rolling stock seems to be first-class but rs is not everything in a virtual railroading game.

Last edited:
Have you read the thread on signalling ? It would appear that Kuju doesn't have a clue as to how to signal a railroad. And you thought that Trainz had signalling problems.

When driving your steam engine, how do you keep from derailing? Many people report that exceeding the limit by even a very small margin will end the game. And it appears that there is almost no advanced warning as to the state of the switches, speed changes, etc.

Even the built-in stock seems to be full of errors

It might be immersive but in what? :hehe:

You missed the point of that completely. I was definitely admitting that it was extremely buggy with what I wrote there.

KRS has some extremely fun and immersive aspects to it though, which is what I was saying. It's so far the only rail simulator that, for me, has quite closely captured the thrill of being in a steam locomotive, especially at high speeds. This I found it extremely rewarding.

I'm sick to death of hearing just the one side to all of this, and quite often from people who haven't even played it!

I'm all for hearing complaints about bugs, but how many times do I need to read the same thing?

It has bugs. Yup, like every new piece of software. I'm sure I've said that many times. Despite those bugs however, it can still be very enjoyable. And like most software, the bugs will probably be ironed out eventually.

If you are willing to have a bit of patience, it has more than enough potential to be a great simulator once the bugs are ironed out.

Even when it is patched up though, I'm still going to stick with TRS, but that doesn't mean I have to exclude all other options and alternatives with a typical 'fanboy' approach. They're very different.

I've experienced many other bugs, all of the ones I have experienced have already been iterated and reiterated. Fair enough. I can still have a lot of fun with KRS though.

Regarding your question about derailing; I was quite happily sticking to the speed limits for the most part, but occasionally on some runs I would find myself quite a bit over. No problems experienced, but I was probably never 10 mph over the limit.

Last edited:
and this is not realistic...

(snip pic)

..but a photo pasted onto a scarcely credible depthless sky.

But it's only my VHO. Important for me but not for others... ;)

I don't think the sky is much of a problem in that shot. The vegetation looks a little too bright for such a thick overcast sky, but I wouldn't call that sky a "scarcely credible" sky for Britain. Might be highly unusual in other parts of the world, but for Britain, it's plausible. Looks like a lot of rain is due real soon now :).

OTOH, What does get me in that pic is the coaching stock. Look, for example, at the grey area around the windows. It should have four rounded corners. It should have a white stripe around it. The blue should be one colour - not two different colours between the sides and the end. (It'd be OK to have a gently blended increase in weathering on the end - BR had a rather selective washing procedure - but a sharp line like that is not right).

Oh, anyone tried building a train in KRS with a mix of Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 coaches yet? Here's a hint: the grey band on the Mk1s and Mk2s should line up. The Mk3s (as they are the HST version rather than the locohauled version) have a different (narrower) grey band, but the whole carriage should at least be the same height...

No blending at all, B_N. That's what I meant by "a photo pasted".

Anyway, it's just a detail on a screenie. The overall is what matters. ;) As you can notice everyone has his/her own main points when dealing with this kind of digital gaming. I don't care much if there are three or four stripes, but the general appearance. Maybe you don't know that one of my favourite quotes is: 'There's not only a Trainz but a Trainz for every of us". :sleep:

BTW, that sky is not exclusive for Britain, I'm afraid I know it very well over here... :D

Last edited:
No blending at all, B_N. That's what I meant by "a photo pasted".

Ah - in that case, it's not really the sky at all, but the vegetation - too hard an edge where it meets the sky. That's mostly a tradeoff between performance and appearance. Chances are, they've using 1 bit alphamaps for the vegetation in that area. This will give them better rendering speed (i.e. frames per second) at the expense of image quality when the vegetation makes the skyline.

I don't care much if there are three or four stripes
Accuracy of models is a big thing. It applies both to simulators and model railways. The majority of the market won't notice (or care about) small errors, but something that is obviously wrong, and affects the appearance or in extreme cases the recognisability of the model does cause problems.

Ultimately, however, problem stock can be replaced. Trainz 1.0 shipped with plenty of out of scale / proportion stock, and most of these have more accurate replacements now. I expect that will happen for KRS too, just that it's a shame so much of the default stock is candidates for replacement, rather than useful stuff to be added to.

BTW, that sky is not exclusive for Britain, I'm afraid I know it very well over here... :D
LOL, apparently storms in Brisbane come with a sky like that too, and the lighting on the vegetation is apparently close to accurate for a Brisbane storm as well. I've yet to see one like that though, so I can't confirm this...

Bloodnok, I fully agree with you, most people won't recognize or even care about the small mistakes. We should still not forget that we are talking about a $50 item and not a $1 million simulator. I am an old flying guy who has been in FS since its beginnings and one who has spent thousands on that hobby, but there is a limitation on what developers can and will do (from an investment point of view) to satisfy the top .5%. Why spend an extra 30% to satisfy that group. Would you do it?

BTW, any news on the EA download problems of RS?

BTW, any news on the EA download problems of RS?

Here you go,

Hi everyone.

Firstly let me apologise for the problems you have experienced when trying to purchase Rail Simulator. Also, I would like to apologise for a late reply but we needed to investigate the problem here so I can actually make a post with some substance.

The issue stems from an error on release dates on the EA Store. You will be able to download without any issues from October 19th direct from the EA Store. If you have already downloaded parts of Rail Sim and they are not working, I have posted below how to clear the cache to re-enable the count down timer.

If you would like a refund, you can email our UK Customer Service team UK-WARRANTY[@]europe.ea.com who will issue the refunds there. Please remember to put in your customer ID and any order number.

Thank you so much for your patience.

Clear the cache -
To do this press the Red Button next to Rail Simulator (it should say “Remove Temporary Files” when you move the cursor over it).”

I'm a big fan of TRS but I welcome the release of Rail Simulator with some relish. Indeed, in about 2 hours I will walk into town and buy it! You may think that sounds disloyal, but think again. I believe a healthy interest in RS could be the best thing to get TRS back on track.

When I look at the TRS community today - compared to how it was a few years ago - I am genuinely disappointed. In the heyday of TRS2004, this place was awash with bright, inventive people who were exploring new ways to push the envelope. These were the people who developed the scripts, the rules and other gizmos that added a fresh layer of interactivity to the game.

Where are they today?

Most of them have drifted away. That would be sad enough but the real tragedy is that Auran have not used their input as a stepping stone to take TRS forward. Indeed, all they've got to show for it is Trainz Classics - which may be pretty, but it's hardly progress.

The same irritating AI problems still persist. Trains routinely pass through red lights. Locos still reverse a mile out of a station just so they can stop and switch tracks. Even the most simple coupling requests can bring a session to a complete standstill. So, let's not point the finger at RS too eagerly just yet!

TRS is a great little simulator but (IMHO) it's no-longer going places. Whilst there may be lots of creativity on display there is no-longer any invention. The spark has gone and we need a lead from Auran to bring it back again. They've been guilty of standing still and (to some degree) of fumbling the ball.

So, although I admire the loyalty of some of the contributors to this thread, I wish they'd stop sneering and would instead follow my example and take a closer look at Rail Simulator. It could prove to be a positive step - if only because it should make the powers-that-be at Auran redouble their efforts to win us back again.

Perchpole

I'm a big fan of TRS but I welcome the release of Rail Simulator with some relish. Indeed, in about 2 hours I will walk into town and buy it! You may think that sounds disloyal, but think again. I believe a healthy interest in RS could be the best thing to get TRS back on track.

When I look at the TRS community today - compared to how it was a few years ago - I am genuinely disappointed. In the heyday of TRS2004, this place was awash with bright, inventive people who were exploring new ways to push the envelope. These were the people who developed the scripts, the rules and other gizmos that added a fresh layer of interactivity to the game.

Where are they today?

Most of them have drifted away. That would be sad enough but the real tragedy is that Auran have not used their input as a stepping stone to take TRS forward. Indeed, all they've got to show for it is Trainz Classics - which may be pretty, but it's hardly progress.

The same irritating AI problems still persist. Trains routinely pass through red lights. Locos still reverse a mile out of a station just so they can stop and switch tracks. Even the most simple coupling requests can bring a session to a complete standstill. So, let's not point the finger at RS too eagerly just yet!

TRS is a great little simulator but (IMHO) it's no-longer going places. Whilst there may be lots of creativity on display there is no-longer any invention. The spark has gone and we need a lead from Auran to bring it back again. They've been guilty of standing still and (to some degree) of fumbling the ball.

So, although I admire the loyalty of some of the contributors to this thread, I wish they'd stop sneering and would instead follow my example and take a closer look at Rail Simulator. It could prove to be a positive step - if only because it should make the powers-that-be at Auran redouble their efforts to win us back again.

Perchpole

I think we certainly need new exporters for the latest version of 3DS, however as any product matures there is less room for new wonderful innovations. I also wonder if we should change our ideas of what the target machine should be. With dual and quad cores it should be possible to add in some sort of money when a load arrives and possibly a scheduler running on a second or third core. I would like to see the default speed of road traffic to be adjusted to allow for horse drawn road traffic.

I think we still are seeing some innovation with a wider range of rolling stock etc. being created.

Cheerio John

I've had a look and there is much to be impressed at. However, as a demonstration of why Trainz has still got plenty to offer, let me tell you a story.

I went into the S&D route and started the Black 5 moving. Thought I'd give the train jumping a go, so I clicked on the nearest loco, a 7F. Got that moving, listened with pleasure to the steam sound effects (;)) and thought 'better get back to the Black 5 and see what it's up to'. The answer was ....... nothing. As soon as I'd left it, it shut down and wasn't still running on its way to Bath.

It appears that with KRS there is a clear division between 'player' trains and 'AI' trains so to have more than one train moving will require dropping into an editor of some sort.

Back