Kind of an old newb? How to update and get downloadable content?

devilham

Hi everyone, I purchased this game on a whim years ago (I love sims), and haven't really played it. It's been un-installed for quite some time, but a recent surge in a love of trains in my 4 year old son made me want to install it, so we can drive trains together (fyi, he LOVES it.....especially the cab view, as he can't see the cabs of our local subway and it drives him nuts). Long story short, I would like to update to the most recent version, and would like to check out some of the player made content, but it seems I am getting conflicting info, do I need to purchase a first class ticket? Or is registering my product enough? Am I looking in the wrong places? Thanks in advance for your answers.

If you have a version released in the last 5/6 years (TRS04 came out in 2003), then access to the Download Station is free, but with a capped speed, and a limit of 100Mb per day. If you have an older version, or want faster/unlimited access, then you'll need a first class ticket.

Paul

Trainz 2010 comes with some built-in content, as I think all versions do. But, odds are that you're going to want other routes and locomotives and I don't know of many routes that rely exclusively on the content included with Trainz. I believe what Trainz has of subways is on the DLS. That means, realistically, you will need to use the DLS and, unless you are very patient, you will need a FCT. I find it's at least worth it to get a 3-month FCT and grab the routes and content you want. I ended up buying a 1-year one and I'm sure I will continue to do so because it's well worth the small amount of money, but that's a start.

BTW, you and your son might like World of Subways too. One volume has PATH trains.

http://www.world-of-subways.com/index.php?id=170&L=1

Hi everyone, I purchased this game on a whim years ago (I love sims), and haven't really played it. It's been un-installed for quite some time, but a recent surge in a love of trains in my 4 year old son made me want to install it, so we can drive trains together (fyi, he LOVES it.....especially the cab view, as he can't see the cabs of our local subway and it drives him nuts). Long story short, I would like to update to the most recent version, and would like to check out some of the player made content, but it seems I am getting conflicting info, do I need to purchase a first class ticket? Or is registering my product enough? Am I looking in the wrong places? Thanks in advance for your answers.

You should be aware that TRAINZ 2004 or 2006 are no longer supported by Auran. Personally, I think you would be further ahead with a newer version, (2009 or 2010). They run better assuming that you have a fairly decent system. For 2009, 2010 system requirements click on Website Link at the top of this page.

tomurban

Last edited:
Back