Is there a way to manually change keyboard hotkeys?

Tuddley3

Freight Train Freak
Can you customize your keyboard hotkeys? I'm a long time MSTS fan. In MSTS all you have to do is go to Options and select Keyboard. Then click on for example Throttle Increase which is default "W", and you can change it by pressing NumPad Minus. Then to change Throttle Decrease which is default "S", click on it and then press NumPad Plus. For me having all cab controls configured in the Number Pad was easier than using W,S,A,D,X, etc etc...

Is there a utility for this, or any way to change them manually? Or are we stuck with default hotkeys?

I never tried. There is a keyboard file in your installation, I suppose you could make a simple change to that and see what you come up with.

Best way is to rob a couple of gas stations and spend more money.

http://raildriver.com/products/raildriver.php

$200 bucks might seem expensive, but this is no cheap toy, I've had mine almost 9 years and none of my destructive grandkids were able to even dent it. :cool:

As for hacking;

\TS12\UserData\settings\

Find the keyboard.txt file, make a backup copy of that, and change all the stuff to MSTS keystrokes.

Thanks again Sniper, you are always on top of things :D

And yes, I've had my eye on a Raildriver for years, and a Saetek joystick for FSX, and a steering wheel for racing sims. One day, hopefully sooner than later. Oh, and a more recent PC, I'm running off a 6 yr old piece of poo that's probably slower than most cell phones :hehe:

Hi

In 2009 you definitely can make changes to keyboard.txt. You can make hotkeys for functions that don't have them defined yet. I combined that with some hotkey programming of a Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant to make an imitation of a raildriver. This will probably not satisfy the person who wants strict prototypical action, but it does control by moving levers instead of pressing buttons, which works for me.

I haven't loaded 2010 yet so I cannot vouch for higher versions.

Good luck,
Kevin

That's great news. The subject doesn't come up often, but it's good to know, as I suspected, that you could use the keyboard file in such a manner.

Same file, only difference is the subfolders -
\TS2009\Settings\keyboard.txt
\TS2010\UserData\settings\keyboard.txt
TS12\UserData\settings\keyboard.txt

FYI, I used the Saitek programming utility before raildriver was invented, also for railsim when it first came out without a raildriver interface. Got the utility from http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php for whatever Saitek joystick/throttle you have (I got the X36 with the X35T throttle) you can program the bands for any keystroke, so there's really no need to hack the keyboard.txt file, just make a Saitek DAT file for the default keystrokes.

Back