Is there a Post Message Rule - not a Driver Command

davidbird

ex-Chilwellian
OK, silly question time.

As the title says, is there a Post Message Rule - not a Driver Command - that is the counterpart to the Wait For Message And Clear driver command that is built-in to TS12 and/or T:ANE?

Is there another way I can achieve the same result, that is have a Rule post a message that is picked up by a Driver Command?

Thanks.

Hi David - I don't know of a rule as such but perhaps I could write one.

What would be the trigger for this rule? Would you like to PM me and we can discuss it by e-mail?

Cheers - Trevor

Not sure what you are seeking to do. The post message command was created so that the next train did not start before the first train had completed what it was doing even if it arrived late. A rule would not know if a train had completed the task it was doing unless it knew somehow. A rule would still need a trigger to set it off.

Not sure what you are seeking to do.
A rule would still need a trigger to set it off.

I'm setting up a session with a player-controlled train. As such it does not have driver commands, but I still need to use the message system. As you know, Stage, I've been setting up a level crossing with a delay in activating. I've managed a rather clumsy (but works perfectly) setup where the player-driven train hits a trigger. I get the messages sent by using the Check Trackside Rule, with Set Driver Schedule as a child rule. This driver schedule is simply the Send Message Driver Command, which is sent to an invisible loco, which actually issues the message that the second invisible loco waits for before activating the crossing.

It would be rather more elegant to have a Send Message Rule as the child of the Check Trackside, with just one invisible loco waiting for it.

I have tried a couple of rules that send messages to the Message Window, although these messages appear in the window, they seem to be unavailable to the "Wait for message and clear" driver command.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I'm away on holiday, so won't be answering anything until after the 15th July, but I'd welcome any more ideas.

Back