Is there a place to learn how to setup TLR?

There is some conversation in linked thread below. Note that the link provided by N3V for doc doesn't work any more. Honestly, the current implementaion doesn't do a whole lot. If industries and cars are setup properly trains just run back and forth loading and unloading but they will just push and shove back and forth. No run-arounds, no switching, etc. Again, trains will only run if industries need commodities and supplier has commodities so industry levels/production are key. Others likely have some links to info. I gave up on it for now.. Would rather make my own sessions.

From my experiments with the beta:-

1) the first release will manage to select a consist (with the correct load type), move it to an industry for loading, then drive to an industry that will unload it And return the consist to its starting point.If the unloading industry consumes the goods, then it can repeat the operation.
2) this works ok for industries that have a single track and load/unload point. Multiple track load/unload or multipoint load/unload industries need to be updated.
3) setting up is straightforward for the user. Open a session. Using the session options turn the auto dispatch to on. Next, select a suitable driver, change from user control to automatic.

the only multi industries that work are basic coal mine, refinery and sawmill

For me it doesn't work at all, I have done the steps and the buildings show to work, but when I unpause the game it says "no reachable source of coal". On the Kickstarter country TLR, everything works perfectly good.

Thanks guys for the help. Will it still work with multiple industry that are the same.
Check the thread 2-3 down from this one in the TLR forum..

Thanks guys for the help. Will it still work with multiple industry that are the same.
It seems to identify the industries as separate even though they are the same type. It seems to be important to give them a distinct name rather than letting the system assign names by adding a number onto the end of the default name but that might change in the future as per the issue in the thread cited above. Certainly giving items more meaningful names makes reading the new info panels a lot easier. One of the less obvious new features is you can now open and change industry production values while in Driver so you can tweak settings to get the balance right without having to hop back and forth to Surveyor.

Last edited:
Wondering if there is a certain length between industries because i keep getting. There is no reachable source. From my power plant. I can run it manually and it works fine. Run it to my coal mine. Then
picks up the coal runs it to the power planet and unloads.

The suggested "Dispatching the Action" (Kickstarter Co. 2) coal run works. (mine to power plant and back). You just need to make sure the coal mine has coal available. So you might give that a try first just to see it working then perhaps that will help in troubleshooting. If I remember correctly you have to first manually or issue commands to have "Miksa" couple to the coal consist at the mine. Then set him on Automatic Scheduler.

Setup a working coal run on Kickstarter 2:
You can see status of everything by opening the industry window for the mine (Ctrl Right Click on industry track) while session is running. It shows Commodity Levels, Industry Processes, Living Railroad status. I just started a trial session with Miksa coupled to the consist. Coal has gone up to 99% but Diesel Fuel is zero and Living Railroad is reporting "No industreis require Coal." I then went to the PowerPlant and "Industry Processes" were not turned on. I clicked "Enable Editing" at bottom of power plant industry window. Under "Industry Processes" is a white square. It's actually a slider set at zero. Move that to the right and the plant will start to consume. When I did that Miksa immediately was dispatched from the mine to the power plant. Once everything is producing and consuming the coal runs will just continue back and forth. But the producing and consuming must be somewhat in "balance." For example, if powerplant consumes very slowly then the coal runs will stop until more coal is needed. Also.. when editing industries don't forget to "Save Changes" before you close the window.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I mostly used the KSC 2 route for testing and I saw the dispatcher route cars to the industries that are near the yard at St. Nichols with no problem and they are within a couple of hundred feet of each other. I did see it have issues with signals. On the KSC 2 route, it could easily send cars to the coal mine to pick up coal or deliver fuel but a train would stall at the same triple head signal controlling the route to the mine when trying to deliver to the nearby warehouse. The signal will flash green and the engine starts to move but then the signal goes red again and the engine stops. This happens over and over until the dispatcher cancels the task and sends the driver somewhere else.

I have had TLR run successfully between properly configured M.I.N. industries when the consists have appropriate wagons for the commodities involved.
They will also switch junctions etc. to access the correct path to these Multiple Industry New track lengths. Important to set up direction markers for better path-finding by the auto-dispatched drivers.
They are incapable of using the run-around command, so return loops and through-sidings (and/ or multiple appropriately configured consists for the task) are desirable.
As with your own AI sessions, you can intervene TLR drivers at any time to assist both the dispatcher and driver.
For precision and finessed timings, I much prefer to create my own AI sessions, but the novelty of automated dispatch for certain consists/ industries is alluring. You can also mix and match by assigning your AI driver to the auto-dispatcher at appropriate times in their routine, then reestablish their AI schedule by unassigning the auto-dispatcher later.

I had a situation where the AI started sending coal trains from the coal mine to a steam service location to load coal, ignoring the coal mine 100m ahead!
On some investigation, it turns out that the coal mine - while operating - had its stockpile as almost zero.
As a result, the AI was looking for another source. If the isn’t one, then the message about no reachable coal is valid.
Check the properties of the mine…

Colin

-snip-
They are incapable of using the run-around command, so return loops and through-sidings (and/ or multiple appropriately configured consists for the task) are desirable.
-snip-
Could you elaborate more on the return loops. I've not tried it with TLR but seems the tendency of "take the shortest path" for AI would confilict with a return loop. I assume that's where the direction markers help perhaps?

That's right - assuming the industry has a 'through siding' and the direction markers prevents backing up from the siding, a return loop shortly after the industry siding facilitating the consists return to the relevant commodity provider circumvents one of the main navigational limitations of Phase I TLR.

Could you elaborate more on the return loops. I've not tried it with TLR but seems the tendency of "take the shortest path" for AI would confilict with a return loop. I assume that's where the direction markers help perhaps?
I'm not sure that computer controlled trains follow a "take the shortest path" system. It seems to be more of a "take the simplest path" system. As an example, create a new route with a circle of track. Place trackmarks at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions and a loco at the 12 o'clock position heading in the clockwise direction and issue a drive to trackmark command to go the the three o'clock position and the loco goes forward to the trackmark. But now give the command to drive to the trackmark at the 12 o'clock position, the loco will drive forward around the circle to reach the trackmark traveling 3 times farther. Why? Because the loco's direction is set to move forward and the trackmark can be reached by traveling forward. It is simpler to continue forward than to change directions and then drive to trackmark. Hence return loops work even though the path is longer.

I'm not sure that computer controlled trains follow a "take the shortest path" system. It seems to be more of a "take the simplest path" system. As an example, create a new route with a circle of track. Place trackmarks at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions and a loco at the 12 o'clock position heading in the clockwise direction and issue a drive to trackmark command to go the the three o'clock position and the loco goes forward to the trackmark. But now give the command to drive to the trackmark at the 12 o'clock position, the loco will drive forward around the circle to reach the trackmark traveling 3 times farther. Why? Because the loco's direction is set to move forward and the trackmark can be reached by traveling forward. It is simpler to continue forward than to change directions and then drive to trackmark. Hence return loops work even though the path is longer.
Yes, of course, on a loop. That fits my thinking. By "shortest path" I didn't include going reverse. So I see your point.

But take for instance Gard Family Forestry on Kickstarter. Through trains won't stay on the main. They cut through the Gard Family industry track. Why? It's shorter. That's what I mean by "shortest route."

But I was making my thinking more difficult than needed with your loop.... I'll make some routes mods and give it a go with TLR.

EDIT:
That was simple enough. Added loops to DayDream Mine and the PowerStation. Made a longer consist. A good length train now makes the run using the loops and running forward as it should. Not very prototypical though as industries normally don't have turnaround loops. This is why TLR in current state isn't very usable except for novelty use.

Last edited:
On the layout I use, the coal train comprises a loco, 10 coal wagons, one brake van.
this runs quite happily to the power station - though most of the journey is brake van forward…
Doesn’t seem to matter whether it’s loco forward or not for the loading/unloading cycles - just not very realistic.

I wonder what happens if it gets directed into a portal? Maybe this week-end’s project!

Back