Is surveyor 2.0 any better at rotating objects?

Forester1

The reason I ask is that I have just spent a frustrating long time trying to install a bridge. The bridge comes in at the wrong angle. It has to be rotated to connect to the tracks. I manage to get things close enough at both ends, so I move to one end to connect the tracks, then I have to rotate the other end a bit to match it up. I get it connected only to realize the OTHER end has rotated out of position. So, I try to go back and rotate that and for whatever reason I can't select it. Normally, it is hard to rotate smaller objects next to larger objects, but in this case, I have a humongous trestle bridge <kuid:44878:115981>DG:URY_Bridge_62E spanning a deep gully, and instead of the bridge rotating every rock and bush anywhere nearby is rotating. No matter if I try from above, or from the side or even from underneath. What? Now it is selecting every tiny object within a half mile over this great big bridge? It is so frustrating as all get out, so hence my question, does rotation work ANY better in Surveyor 2.0? I am about fed up with the TRS19 surveyor!

10x better at rotating. You dont have to guess anymore you can simply type in the value you want and the object will get rotated. Not only that but you can type in the x and y values to line up objects too.

That would help IF I could get it selected! What I need is at least a highlight or outline to show me what is rotating, because I can see my big, humongous bridge is not rotating. So I realize a tiny bush at the bottom of the canyon is rotating instead, and no matter what way, angle, direction, zoom, or part I try, I cannot seem to get it to select THE BIG HUMOUNGOUS BRIDGE! Really?

Unfortunately, it is not just one bush, it appears t grab any bush, rock, or any other tiny object in the neighborhood instead of the big bridge right in front. I have never seen it act this way ignoring a large object.

Changing from Filter List to Filter Selection will prevent moving any items not in the Asset palette list.
So use the Eyedropper to find the bridge name, list in Asset Palette (in the Info tab), then Filter Selection.
The bridge may also have a weird origin point around which it rotates (depends on whether the creator used the middle, the end or somewhere more random).

Unfortunately, it is not just one bush, it appears t grab any bush, rock, or any other tiny object in the neighborhood instead of the big bridge right in front. I have never seen it act this way ignoring a large object.

Forester, this bridge is a hard one to place, if you arent used to doing it,but it took me about 30 seconds to do, as i'm used to its peccadillos, you need to place the bridge way from the track, drag it so its slightly above the track and then pull the track to join on the ends, , then lower it into place correctly. its partly due to the way i set up vegetation but all of these bridges are swines to place if there any other trackside object near them .
i just had a look at my version i saved in 2019 and this has the same issue !!!!!
. i'll fix it and then upload to the dls as a 2019 version.
Cant guarantee anything else will not be stuffed on this version, there are a few things I wasnt happy with in the tane version so I'll work on them this weekend. I 'll upload the 2019 version with trainbois track,but again no guarantees all those bridge will be in the right place, as i said before some of them have a mind of their own and do weird things on occasions.

Last edited:
You are a lifesaver sir! At one point I had both ends attached and track, bridge (with abutments), and ballast aligned perfectly, but then I noticed that the track was a couple of feet above the ballast on both ends! I had had not gotten the bridge height correct (I had pretty much done it as you say). I corrected one end ok, but then could not for the life of me get the other end to lower. Maybe it was the same issue as the rotation and I couldn't get it selected, but no amount of effort or angle would get that end of the track or bridge to lower down to the ballast. I finally decided I was going to have to start over, delete the bridge, and reinstall it at the correct level. That is where I was when I got into the rotation dilemma! I guess that was where my frustration came from, I got to thinking this should not be this hard! It is not my first time placing a bridge, I have done it on several routes I have worked on, but this was definitely the hardest! Thank you very much again for your dedication!

You are a lifesaver sir! At one point I had both ends attached and track, bridge (with abutments), and ballast aligned perfectly, but then I noticed that the track was a couple of feet above the ballast on both ends! I had had not gotten the bridge height correct (I had pretty much done it as you say). I corrected one end ok, but then could not for the life of me get the other end to lower. Maybe it was the same issue as the rotation and I couldn't get it selected, but no amount of effort or angle would get that end of the track or bridge to lower down to the ballast. I finally decided I was going to have to start over, delete the bridge, and reinstall it at the correct level. That is where I was when I got into the rotation dilemma! I guess that was where my frustration came from, I got to thinking this should not be this hard! It is not my first time placing a bridge, I have done it on several routes I have worked on, but this was definitely the hardest! Thank you very much again for your dedication!

You have to lower those bridges in the center, if you try to adjust one end or the other it just doesnt work, unfortunately Ben made them that way, look great but can be swines to get right, I've spent more time adjusting and fixing gaps where the fill ends meet the abutments on those bridges than I'd like to think about.
Ive got four engines testing the 2019 version, all going flat out to test the bridges, one just disappeared around white river so I've placed another in there and watching it drive to see where the issue is , it might be sheer speed, that track wasn't designed to hurtle around at 45 mph !. there are still a few bridges I need to adjust,I found two others that derail engines in 2019, even though they were all tested in TANE just last week !
Still for all that , the route does look much nicer in 2019 once the color is adjusted right and it seems more responsive too.
might be two or three days before its online so if you pm me i'll send you the fixed version by wetransfer.

Last edited:
You need to get in close and right-click the actual frame of the bridge and then zoom out. use Ctrl when rotating will give small movements of the bridge

Back