Is it time to limit unregistered users?

johnwhelan

I'm thinking in terms of all posts by unregistered users must be approved by a mod before being posted in a similar manner to the suggestions forum.

Yes its an inconvenience and extra work for the mods but it may slow down the spammers.

Cheerio John

Yes John I agree.
I do know that there are unregistered users that are good people. However we all remember the forum attack a month ago. User "CP702" attacked us all with, foul language and sexual comments. This was probably the work of an unregistered user.

Well, you can't post unless you are registered....unless you are talking about registering a serial number. In that case, you're right....it would be extra work, therefore, shouldn't be done. It doesn't take long to delete spammers....:cool:

Your asking a lot of dumb questions lately, John. :D ;)

In this case, I feel this is a very good question! I feel that anyone should be able to read the information available in the general forums, so they should be able to create an account to access them, but that account should not be able to post. If you want to post, buy a license.

Now, having said that, I admit that a lot of potential users will want to ask questions regarding the game. As such, it is also important that they be able to get the answer they require. Hence, I believe that any account registered without a license, should be limited to only be able to post to a "holding area" where a mod would consider the post (screen it if you will) just like they do with the suggestion boxcar forum.

I know that this type of "service" takes person-power / time which is limited. I for one, would be willing to donate some time every day to assist with this. My time though, is limited so I probably am not a good candidate, but the offer is there.

Just my two cents (1.5us).

Bricey.

It's a good idea in theory, but in practice it wold be difficult and I suppose the mods would just end up letting anyone through. Plus (don't tell anyone!) It's fun teasing before they're banned.:p

Just my 3 pence (approx. 2 cents)

Chris:cool:

Free Site?

Since when could unregistered people post, and for that matter, be called a member! I was not allowed to post till I registered back in 2002 or so!

Since when could unregistered people post, and for that matter, be called a member! I was not allowed to post till I registered back in 2002 or so!

You are allowed to post in some forums without registering a serial number.

Another method I'd seen is asking for the number of a particular loco an image of which is displayed on the home page which sort of restricts it to people who have some sort of interest in railway

Cheerio John

Another idea , even members cannot post into the suggestions forum immediately , their posts are approved prior to being entered .
Possibly a like forum for unregistered persons who want to ask questions prior to purchasing . They would be allowed to read the General forum , but only post to a Non-members Questions forum that was heavily monitored (as is the Suggestion forum ).

Just another thought --- ,DLR

Another idea , even members cannot post into the suggestions forum immediately , their posts are approved prior to being entered .
--- ,DLR
I'm not sure if that's true anymore....mine show up right away....unless it applies only to creating a new thread. I don't think the post and wait system is very good since it still puts more on the mods....maybe why they dropped it....:cool:

I see terrorists have gotten most of the world in a lather and countries are panicking with rediculous laws that really only effect innocents

Please don't let spammers have the same type of pleasure by having forums edited thus giving them some sense of satisfaction

By reading through previous spammers posts it's easy to see the spam poster and posts get reported asap and the needed action is taken

Again, don't give in to spammers, just inform mods etc and let the spammers just fade away without any feeling of achievement

my 2c worth or rather my 3p worth

Have Fun

Tony

I'm a member of another forum where ( newbies ) are restricted to a new member section whey they introduce themselves & post until they have been given access to the main forum.They can ask questions here rather than the main forums until they join.The remainder of the forum is read only unless you are registered.In this case that would mean a Trainz serial number .

Dave

I'm a member of another forum where ( newbies ) are restricted to a new member section whey they introduce themselves & post until they have been given access to the main forum.They can ask questions here rather than the main forums until they join.The remainder of the forum is read only unless you are registered.In this case that would mean a Trainz serial number .

Dave
You mean like this forum....? Those who register for this forum but not a serial number are restricted to only certain forums....after registering a serial number they are given access to other forums. What would happen in your other forum if a newbie started spamming? Would probably be removed...just like the WoW spammer was here....it's not an epidemic....just let it be...:cool:

Maybe we should require hazing of new members

Maybe we should require hazing of new unregistered members. For example, the first 25 posts a new member cannot use the letter "r" in any of the posts.:hehe:

Agree in principal. Now all we need is a workable method.

Restricting visitors to a Visitors section until they register a serial number would be one way. :)

Seriously,:eek:, I propose that those without a registered version of Trainz may be a guest upon the forums, able to read every forum to decide if they want to purchase Trainz, but unable to post until they have registered a version.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it...:p

Back