Is it possible?

OldGI

Hope everyone is being good to each other out there.

I have a bit of a quandary. My windows desktop has an Intel i3 6100, 16GB ram and an old r9 380 Nitro graphics card. I have an opportunity to upgrade the cpu to an older quad core i5 pretty cheap from a friend. I would like to throw either A New Era or TS 2019 on it if the deal goes through.

Problem is, I don't have high speed internet at home. I live in the sticks. My phone doesn't allow tethering and even that service is hit or miss on a good day. Is there anyway for me to buy Trainz, take my Macbook to the library to download it and transfer it to my desktop?

Thanks

Probably. Download the file for Trainz, export it onto a USB stick/hard drive/SD card/whatever external storage media you might use, and then insert it onto your Windows machine, and then just run it. Keep in mind both TANE and TRS2019 have DRM, meaning they have to connect to the internet at least once a month to continue working. Also make sure the Trainz download on your MacBook is a Windows EXE file.

Hope this helps.

Probably. Download the file for Trainz, export it onto a USB stick/hard drive/SD card/whatever external storage media you might use, and then insert it onto your Windows machine, and then just run it. Keep in mind both TANE and TRS2019 have DRM, meaning they have to connect to the internet at least once a month to continue working. Also make sure the Trainz download on your MacBook is a Windows EXE file.

Hope this helps.

That actually does. I understand DRM, I'm a lot of things, a thief is not one of them
I just want to buy a legal copy of the program and install it. I've owned A New Era for almost two years. It has never phoned home. I'm just looking to do this legally.

I miss the days when you bought a program and just had to get online for a minute or two.

I'm not interested in specs.
I run A New Era quite decent on my Macbook Pro. I have the opportunity to upgrade an old desk machine to run it better.

I just need to find how to get there from here legally.

I'm not interested in specs.
I run A New Era quite decent on my Macbook Pro. I have the opportunity to upgrade an old desk machine to run it better.

I just need to find how to get there from here legally.

Apols I thought we were talking Windows. I've no idea on the Apple line of products about what is possible.

Cheerio John

Your opening post says you are moving from a Windows machine to a Mac but you indicate that your issue is internent speed/connection and you ask about downloading from a public library or such place.

You have Tane (according to your Time line) so you have a "myTrainz" page with all your downloads, right? So just take the "i5" to where ever you wish and download your already purcahased copy of Tane it on. (Check and see if you have a Mac download available on myTrainz. I see PC and Mac versions but I'm on Plus so not sure what "standard" accounts see.) If you have a Mac version download, install, and try it. If not talk to HelpDesk (button is above.)

I tried '19 on my 3.2 Ghz i5 iMac and couldn't stand it so I built a gaming PC instead. I now also have a Mac M1 Mini and that is a good experience on Mac but graphic settings are on lower/mid end.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry if I did. Sometimes things come out wrong when typing on a forum.

That was for John

I'm actually satisfied with how TANE runs on this laptop. I spend most of my time building model railroad type routes. Nothing spectacular, just time killers.

I think it would be dirty pool to not pay $7 for another copy of TANE since I plan on using it on both computers. Probably $27 since I want the North American version of 2019. My laptop hard drive is getting full while this desktop is sitting idle, pretty much the reason I want to add the windows version.

My only issue is downloading it. The library doesn't take kindly to you hauling in your stuff and setting up shop.

Nothing rude here from what I can tell.

"Sometimes things come out wrong when typing on a forum."

Fingers or brain get ahead of each other. It happens to all of us. For those of us in tech support, we learn to read between lines and consult the Oracle. :)

The i5 and the memory will work fine for you, but the graphics card is what's will kill the performance. If you can upgrade that, then the system will operate well. I'll let the others make recommendations for you on this, but t
he problem is the current high cost of video cards. The prices for those are absolutely through the roof these days for the most recent varieties.

Nothing rude here from what I can tell.

"Sometimes things come out wrong when typing on a forum."

Fingers or brain get ahead of each other. It happens to all of us. For those of us in tech support, we learn to read between lines and consult the Oracle. :)

The i5 and the memory will work fine for you, but the graphics card is what's will kill the performance. If you can upgrade that, then the system will operate well. I'll let the others make recommendations for you on this, but t
he problem is the current high cost of video cards. The prices for those are absolutely through the roof these days for the most recent varieties.

When I was an aircraft mechanic, we called pilots Throttle Yoke Interface Units.

I KNOW my confuser will run at the low end. I'm fine with it. I want to know if there is a way for me to give N3V $27, go to the library and download the programs then transfer them from my laptop to my desktop.

Think like an ISO file. I would love to have either TANE or 2019, Tidewater and Coal Country installed. My laptop doesn't have the space and I don't have home high speed internet to load them on my desktop. I am more than willing to get a cheap phone with a prepaid plan I can tether when needed. Service in my area is not good enough to download a file the size of Trainz.

-snip-
Service in my area is not good enough to download a file the size of Trainz.

I can't even imagine that situation. You deserve a certificate for running Trainz under adverse conditions. I'm spoiled as I have great internet service (I do websites for a living) and I don't flinch at doing a new install will all DLC routes (I'm on Gold).

When I was an aircraft mechanic, we called pilots Throttle Yoke Interface Units.

I KNOW my confuser will run at the low end. I'm fine with it. I want to know if there is a way for me to give N3V $27, go to the library and download the programs then transfer them from my laptop to my desktop.

Think like an ISO file. I would love to have either TANE or 2019, Tidewater and Coal Country installed. My laptop doesn't have the space and I don't have home high speed internet to load them on my desktop. I am more than willing to get a cheap phone with a prepaid plan I can tether when needed. Service in my area is not good enough to download a file the size of Trainz.

I'd be tempted with the idea of an external SSD and dump it on that.

Cheerio John

Your better bet is to get an external hard drive. Get the kind that plug in as well as have the USB port. These are quick enough to run the program from.

Amazon.com : seagate backup plus

These are also available at Staples. I have the one pictured at the top and it's quite fast.

Install the program on this drive and run it from there. I've done this many times while traveling and it works fine. The kind that just plug into the USB port are too slow and the constant power draw can damage the USB port on your laptop.

Since the program is running on the external drive, you can then use that to also download the DLC you want directly to the drive while visiting your library or wherever else you go to download data. There are ways to install the data and content to this drive instead of to the internal drive which is too small. When and if you get to this point, we can help you move data and set things up.

I can't even imagine that situation. You deserve a certificate for running Trainz under adverse conditions. I'm spoiled as I have great internet service (I do websites for a living) and I don't flinch at doing a new install will all DLC routes (I'm on Gold).

I have it easy. Go 5 miles east of me, it is a complete blackout of cell coverage. They rely on landlines and dial up.

I never thought of an external drive.

I'm used to buying a DVD and register later. Can I buy TANE and 2019, download them on an external drive, put them on my desktop and register them?

I just want to stay legal. I got a bit of gruff here because my copy of TANE was bought through the Mac app store. Zec cleared it up and added it to my timeline.

I'm also an old fart on the information highway doing 30 in the fast lane with a turn signal on.

If you buy T:ANE and 2019, there are offline installers available. Maybe not for the latest version, so you may have to patch up. Then are you right back where you were? I don't know if there is any offline patching available.

I never thought of an external drive.

I'm used to buying a DVD and register later. Can I buy TANE and 2019, download them on an external drive, put them on my desktop and register them?

I just want to stay legal. I got a bit of gruff here because my copy of TANE was bought through the Mac app store. Zec cleared it up and added it to my timeline.

I'm also an old fart on the information highway doing 30 in the fast lane with a turn signal on.

Yup you can do that too, but you need to connect once in 30-days to keep the server happy.

Yup you can do that too, but you need to connect once in 30-days to keep the server happy.

I'm fine with buying a throw away phone to update as needed.

Can I give the company my cash, download the program and install it on my off line computer?

Please bring back the days of buying a program on a disc.

Back