Is it me, or am I suffering a lot of bad luck with Trainz related things lately?

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Hi Trainzers,

I realise that the thread title may be a bit ambiguous, but I am seriously wondering if the Trainz gods above have something against both me and my tutorial site.

It's been twice over the last couple of weeks that my tutorial site has been down through no fault of my own, although I cannot really understand why it seems to be happening to me. (It's currently down at the moment due to a database issue that I have no control over...)

In addition to that, TS12 SP1 is still causing issues (which I know quite a few have had the same problems, although I've had a couple of unique issues).

Can someone tell me whether I'm overreacting here, or whether I am seriously having bad luck?

Shane

P.S. I've also been very unlucky in terms of promoting my tutorials, utilities etc as N3V are not being very supportive of my tutorials lately by the seems of things (apart from one of my blog entries being linked to from a knowledgebase article).

Last edited:
Well, I hope it's a bit of bad luck that will soon be over. Lady Luck slapped me in the face last night as I was saving my route after working on it for 1 1/2 hours. As soon as I hit the "OK" to proceed button, my entire computer locked up. I powered down and went to bed. I'll see what the damage is after I get home from work today. :(

Andrew

I'm hoping it's only temporary as well, as it's being very punishing to me at a time when I've got other non-Trainz issues getting at me as well...

Shane

True - I'm just hoping my tutorial site comes up very soon otherwise I may have to use my blog as a mirroring service.

Shane

I think you should consolidate these threads, which is currently stickied;
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?90080-Content-Manager-Tips-and-Tricks-(any-version)
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...e-Can-I-patch-my-version-(TS2009-TS2010-TS12)
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...ectX-Install-Helper-Utility-(DXInstallHelper)

Into this thread, and have it stickied instead;
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?87067-Full-Listing-of-my-tutorials-as-of-20-03-2012\

Alternatively, put them into a new "Quick Start (new users please read)" thread or dedicated section in your "master thread". Your tutorials are good stuff, and they should reach as many users as possible. By presenting them in a single convenient location, it is hoped more people will find it easier to find them.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Don't worry, I do keep certain tutorials in those ones, although I may get the one in my signature stickied as well if I can get a moderator to do it...

As for consolidation, the three you mention all cover specific topics - it is something I could think about once I sort out the site problems.

Shane

Shane,

It's on days and weeks like this that it's best to go on holiday somewhere and don't even bother to use anything computer related. I've had stuff blow up on me too lately. My camera and 'droid tablet ate some unique snapshots I took on my storm chasing trip last week. While copying the pictures off of the camera, the tablet rebooted and ate pictures I had moved to the tablet a week before. I no longer had them on the camera memory simm because there was no space. POOF! Gone off to Bit Heaven!!! :(

John

See, your bad luck is coming to an end. I find that my bad luck episodes last about 24 hours. Kind of like the 24-hour stomach virus. :confused:

See, your bad luck is coming to an end. I find that my bad luck episodes last about 24 hours. Kind of like the 24-hour stomach virus. :confused:

Yup. I've seen this more than once.

The periods of tech-failure can last for anywhere between 2 hours and 24 hours, depending upon the severity of the hit. I hate the ones that go away while troubleshooting a problem because you never know what caused the problem in the first place.

It's also pretty bad too when there are two issues at the same time. Like setting up a new router and having a truck go by and ripping the cable off the house. I spent hours trying to solve a connection issue. I was ready to give up and bring the router back because I couldn't connect no matter how much I tried. In the middle of fiddling with the config screen, I get a knock on the door and it's my neighbor. He came by to tell me that a truck had ripped the cable off the house and we didn't have any internet connection (This was before broadband internet and we had DSL)! The funny thing is we had service an hour before when I started the project so the truck did it's job while I was working in the basement on the connection to the new router!

John

Hello Shane

I think we all go through this sometimes. Never take it personally because it's not.

Cheers : )

AJ

Indeed. Now I've got the tutorial site issue hopefully fully dealt with, that just leaves TS12 SP1 to deal with...

Shane

P.S. Thankyou for all the responses so far.

I recently installed a program that controls menu themes. Since then Blender has been doing weird stuff, my image editor has lost its parent window (the one that shows the full/small/iconise to desktop) and various other stuff is misbehaving. About the only thing that hasn't been affected has been Trainz (he says quietly!). I'm not blaming the utility but the fickle finger of blame is hovering that way.

On a brighter note, today I bought a external 2TB hard disk (ethernet) that comes with software to set up my own little Cloud for off line storage. So I'll have a bit of fun with that on the weekend.

N3V have been very quiet recently. Have they gone into hibernation? Winter starts on Saturday "downunder" although Queensland doesn't really have a winter IMHO.

I think the least N3V can do is promote your website at a higher level in the Help stack.

Cheers

I know what you mean regarding changing themes - I've got a program that can do the same with the Start men.

I have noticed that N3V seem to have been quiet lately, and I would hope that they would support me at a higher level, but I cannot see much happening at this rate.

Shane

More than likely - either that, or hotfix 3. My TS12 SP1 bugs thread is probably keeping them on their toes though...

Shane

That thread sure is keeping them busy for now particularly with such things as trackside objects flying all over the place when editing track. There's nothing like losing all the signals, tram poles, trackmarks, and everything else located along the tracks just because you've place a crossing in.

John

True - the only issue I'm coming across now is people having trouble finding that thread when they bring up issues that are already covered there.

Shane

Just wondering.. can John not help you out with reorganizing these threads and such, seeing he has moderator rights? It is for the good of the community so I presume the brew crew would be cool with it.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Back