Important...but not Trainz related

aardvark1

Senior Citizen Member
Note to Mods....If not appropriate, move to where this thread should go....If you feel it should not be in General Forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it is Trains related.....>>>> http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=78160

The East Coast of the USA, from the Outer Banks of North Carolina to New England can sustain significant damage from Hurricane Irene.

This storm is a CAT 3 and could possibly grow to CAT 4 or more. The storm is as large as the area of Texas.

Many Governors in East Coast State are declaring a State of Emergency and issuing mandatory and voluntary evacuation orders at this time. All the major super computers are arriving at the same consensus on the storm track. If your area is told to evacuate, please heed the instructions.

This storm may cause serious consequences for 50 Million or more people in East Coast states. Flooding and wind damage will be dangerous in the storm track. Serious impact due to lack of electricity will be one scenario.

I pray and wish the best for any Trainzers who may be in the projected storm track area. Please take the necessary precautions for you and your family before the storm reaches your areas.

You can track the hurricane here:
http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-irene-2011

I understand that other parts of the USA will not have any issues from the storm, but please do not scoff at the danger that will impact many people.

Again, prayers and thoughts for all those in the storm path.

Please be safe,

Last edited:
i just dodged this storm ....as i live on the very bottom of florida...the outer bands are are on me now ...but nothing major....again........ good luck be safe.

Just heard this....

The US Navy has ordered all ships out to sea from the port of Norfolk, VA. (Hampton Roads)

Apparently, these huge ships can do better out at sea than being tied up in port during a hurricane.

I do hope everyone takes the proper precautions, especially those that live along the coast.

I fear most for those in Delaware, Jersey and states North. After passing near Washington the hot air will certainly turn this storm up a notch or two...

...oh wait, Congress and the "President" have been on vacation. Whew...dodged a bullet there!

I really feel for the people in the USof A. It seems your weather(mother nature) takes a dislie to parts of the country. The new orleans disaster was really sad.
Here, we only have one hundred year floods occuring approx every 10 years.
HMMMM
baz

You're telling me, I cant even get down to Sea Isle City, NJ to batten down my beach house. They won't let me on the island! There's a state of emergency for all of Cape May County, and they even shut down the Garden State Parkway!
First a 5.0 earthquake, now this? I think God's trying to tell us something...:eek:

Anyways, I hope my fellow railfans also affected by this hurricane weather the storm well and end up safe and unharmed.

Best Regards,
Colin

@Euphod: Haha so true. Good to have a fellow conservative on the forum.

Last edited:
Colin.....

Small world..... many many years ago I lived in Wildwood Crest.

Yup, it can get bad in Cape May County.

Regards,
Ron

Colin.....

Small world..... many many years ago I lived in Wildwood Crest.

Yup, it can get bad in Cape May County.

Regards,
Ron

Exactly. The 1964 hurricane, for example. Sea Isle lost its boardwalk and movie theatre to that one.

I fell in the bathtub once ... and neighbors 5 doors down thought it was a 5.9 eathquake.

Big Chief say: "Hmmmm ... Clouds say ... 1 moon, rain come ... wash earth away ... big wing blow teepee away".

Head for low ground, and relocate to urban areas that are constructed 14' below sea level ... which is not really a smooth move, exlax ... to build a big city below sea level !

Make sure you move all your electronic equipment to a below ground basement, where flood waters and mud will be pouring in.

Flood the gas stations with gasoline fillups ... driving the supply down, and the demand up ... thereby raising gas prices.

Make sure you have enough supplies of bread, milk and eggs ... so ou can make french toast for a straight week. ( Make sure you have plenty of "Ain't Yer Momma" maple Syrup, n' cimminom nom n' sugar, n' powdered sugar topping).

Flood your local "Homo Depot" with hoards of panicing people, demanding generators, nails, hammers, & plywood ... and while you are nailing and boarding up you winders' make sure you break the glass behind the plywood with errant nails, and slips with the drywall screw gun.

Don't text and hammer nails into plywood, you might hit your thumb, and drop the hammer on your toe bone.

Move your PC to your bathroom and take cover there ... My bathroom has a PC with Trainz Iportal installed on it.

And buy a years worth of Dollar Store battries' ... the el' cheepo brand, that are best bought in bulk, allready pre-dead.

Last edited:
<snip> ... not a smooth move, exlax ... <snip>

I do not understand what Ex-lax has to do with that stuff... :confused:

...unless that stuff causes an unhappy colon. :hehe:

By the way, the local news here showed a couple of ladies arguing in a line at a gas station. The news had also shown some time before then a parking-lot of cars waiting at a gas station. And grocery stores sure do fill up when something like a hurricane or snowfall pops up, don't they? ;)

I added the Wikipedia article on Hurricane Irene to my watchlist just for fun, and as is typical for Wikipedia articles on current/recent events, there are updates every few minutes or so. Enjoy watching the updates flood in: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hurricane_Irene_(2011)&action=history. :p

Regards,

Retro.

Last edited:
On the positive side for railfans...

I remember that after Ike all rail traffic in Houston just completely shut down for three or four days :( But all of a sudden the floodgates opened and there where non-stop trains (I am not joking) on the mainline near my house for hours! One of my fondest memory about trains! So maybe y'all on the east coast will get something similar?

"Ex Lax" would be refering to: the "smooth move type person", by an aka name ... ie: "Smooth move Exlax, you lit the house on fire, deep frying a turkey, indoors" !

Last edited:
Wish you all safety down there in the South. Irene will become a tropical storm by the time it hits up where I am in eastern New England.

We're not taking any chances though with the wind, which will be the biggest threat because we're on the eastern side of the storm, so we're pulling all the plants into the house, and taking down the patio tables and chairs off the deck.

I've been tracking the storm on the RUC and it's pretty interesting.

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/model/displayMod.php?var=gfs_sfc_mslp&loop=1

NOAA mentioned something about discrete rotating super cells on the front side of the storm, so the SPC issued a tornado watch for the Carolinas.

John

I thought I was feeling earthquakes ... here it was the RR, as they are moving lots and lots of freight continualy, at a feverish rate before the storrn comes north.

Not looking forward to this one ... looks like the eye will be right off the Delaware/NJ Beachs !

Last edited:
Some rather big-looking wind gusts periodically flowing through the many trees surrounding our house at this time, plus, of course, some rain.

At least it is not storming with thunder and lightning and making me stay off the computer. :Y:

The coast looks like it is getting hammered. :eek:

The local news is apparently going to be on all day or whatever to monitor the storm.

Regards,

Retro.

Maybe Irene isn't really as bad as they say... ;)
Take a look at the front page of the Drudge Report
http://drudgereport.com/:D
And look at these two articles:
http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/...-hurricane-coming-on-shore-with-33-mph-winds/
and
https://www.gplus.com/Hurricanes/Insight/The-storm-cannot-master-its-own-strength
As the first entry in the second article says, "More politically-driven hype"

Cheers,
Colin

Colin,

The media is more hype whenever there's a natural event. The non-issue earthquake up here north of Boston made the news for a full day. Gee. People were running out in the streets in downtown Boston because a building shook. I think they used to shake more when the old subway ran under Devonshire Street than they did with the tremor! I was home that day, and my dog was scratching himself at the same time... Lol.

After awhile, this became just another news story when they could no longer find enough ants to interview on the sidewalk. By then, the people, man on the street, interviews have become mundane so the news outlets have to find someone else to interview, so they started on the ants, birds, a cat, then a small dog! ;)

With the hurricane/tropical storm heading our way, like any big storm, the news has everyone in a panic. People have stripped the supermarket shelves of perishable goods. Why if we do lose the lights, their food will spoil!

Well to be serious, though this could be a big storm, and yes there are areas being hit badly by it, but in reality the news is so starved for constant information, they'll dig at anything and hype it up as far as they can until no one listens, or another tidbit floats up from the bottom of the news barrel.

This is why I spend my time listening to music, playing the piano and using Trainz. It beats getting beaten over the head by the same dribble over and over by the news networks.

John

Back