TRS22 S2 issues

pfx

I'm very impressed with TRS22 and S2.0 overall, but there are a few niggles that are extremely frustrating. I can't find the correct thread to post these in, and the helpdesk doesn't appear to accept issues of the type I'm experiencing so I thought I'd post here. If this thread or the issues therein are already mentioned elsewhere, please feel free to move my post.

HD terrain is often not HD - I experience a large number of issues when trying to manipulate ground level when either nothing happens, or the ground goes the opposite way I want it to. Also edges on cuttings and embankments have a jagged appearance as with regular 5 or 10m grid.

'Smooth Ground Under Selected' option gives some very poor results. Single track produces cuttings and embankments that could accommodate triple lines.

Water will not join to the coast line, often a square is missing as seen in earlier versions of Trainz when 'painting' water. Furthermore, if I save a route, close it, then reopen, the water level around the actual coastline has dropped. This can be rectified by grading the water but is an impractical solution.

Scenery objects and splines 'float' above the ground whenever the ground height has been altered.

DLC that does not work or has colour and lighting issues.

I'm sure none of these issues are a surprise to other users and N3V and if that is the case, I would hope fixes will be issued in due course.

Regards,
Innis

HD terrain is only available in Trainz Plus. TRS22 Platinum, but not TRS22 Standard, will allow you to load routes created with HD terrain using Trainz Plus but you cannot edit the HD terrain.

I frequently use the "Smooth Ground Under Selected" with splines and have not experienced the issue to the level you describe but it does depend on other factors such as how often you click the "Smooth..." option and the direction of the spline (N-S and E-W work best).

"Painting Water" - are you using the Water Effect Layer, which works the same way as the Ground Height, or the old "Legacy" water which has always had that issue?

Last edited:
Stagecoach, I'm currently using 122411.

Pware, I'm using Trainz Plus and it's a new route created in the above version. The HD terrain works in most areas but seems to be very temperamental around the tracks and some scenery items, losing the HD grid. I've also found that when grading terrain, the ground level rises instead of grading.

With the smooth ground tool, sometimes it works well, other times not very well at all and I get the 5m grid effect. It's more frustrating where the likes of fencing splines float above the ground, regardless if I smooth under selected.

I'm using a water effect layer as I'm trying to use S2.0 and the legacy effect doesn't work on an HD route. I've never seen this issue on the legacy water. 'Painting' was probably the wrong word to use. I mean when grading the water in towards the coast line. It works fine for much of it but I get missing squares of water as if I was using the old version. The image below shows the issue better than I can explain it.

Thanks,
Innis

53169339360_1525959460_b.jpg

The above image looks exactly like the jagged border effect I have always seen when painting the old legacy water alongside a sloped surface.

It's definitely not legacy as I had to set up a water effect layer to do this with the starting level well below the average ground level. I can only manipulate it by using the height up/down and grade tools.

The spline issue I reported in my original post is as in the second image below, the first being before converting the tile to HD terrain but this also happens on HD only routes. The spline will not sit on the ground as I'd expect. In this case, it's a major issue for the route as I've used a lot of trackside splines on it. Similarly, scenery items also 'float'. It isn't feasible for me to correct every single item individually as there are hundreds.

I'd be really grateful if anyone is able to offer some sort of solution to this problem.

Cheers,
Innsi

53326887895_278c67f628_b.jpg

53326769619_51cd18bc9f_b.jpg

One thing to remember is the spline itself. Most splines are made of 10m or more lengths that repeat. HD uses a much smaller grid size so the spline sections cover more grid squares. Each created section is fixed and only bends where the next section is produced between spline points.
The same applies to scenery items, the pivot point of the asset is the only point that touches the ground.

I'm aware of the anchor points on scenery objects but they are above ground level too by around 1m. I don't think the issue is to do with splines and objects, given the splines float the same distance above ground as objects do. This is only the case on gradients, regardless of how steep they are.

Yeah, when I select a large area, and then raise or lower the ground, the scenery items move up and down with the terrain, but the splines and tracks remain at the height they were. I could use "Settle on the ground", but there are also a lot of splines that are bridges and cliffs, which don't look right when set on the ground...

Yeah, when I select a large area, and then raise or lower the ground, the scenery items move up and down with the terrain, but the splines and tracks remain at the height they were. I could use "Settle on the ground", but there are also a lot of splines that are bridges and cliffs, which don't look right when set on the ground...
Click on the spline points and fix the spline points then smooth the terrain underneath. Roads, though need to follow the terrain and for those I find using a combination of both locking spline points and letting other remain unlocked allows roads and similar assets to remain on the surface.

Sometimes when I try to replace textures with the "bulk asset update/replace", the game crashes during the update process. This usually happens after I have been working on the route for a period of time...

Sometimes when I try to replace textures with the "bulk asset update/replace", the game crashes during the update process. This usually happens after I have been working on the route for a period of time...
I reported that issue and sent in my route and was told there was nothing wrong. I chocked this up the issue as being that my route being really large with a lot of the same texture needing replacing all over the place.

My recommendation is to fill out the bug report and send in a report.

Actually, it's textures in a smaller route I am merging into the bigger one, so maybe I should try changing the textures before merging... :unsure:

Hi PFX
First off, HD Terrain is a variable grid in a sense. By default, it uses a slightly larger grid (if you press F9, you can see the size of the grid in the wireframe view); then when you specifically use a small brush or otherwise make a small area change then that area will change to the full HD grid. This is part of the compression system needed to avoid even large file sizes.

For the terrain height, what do you currently have the 'shader quality' setting set to? If you have this set to standard or basic, then this will force the 'HD Terrain' grid to drop back to lower resolution (it should still be higher resolution than 5m, but it won't allow the full HD Terrain to display). It will also turn off the Parallax and Tessellation effects on the ground textures, causing it to 'flatten' to a set height. I've asked our team to verify what the current status for the height difference is though.

It's worth keeping in mind that the HD Terrain conversion will try to 'smooth' sharp edges, resulting in the terrain changing shape on areas such as cuttings and embankments, this may result in tracks being slightly buried or floating depending on how the smoothing has changed the terrain in a given area.
Regards

Hi Zec,

Thanks for the reply. I checked shader quality and it was at basic. I've changed to extreme and discovered that the grid seems to be more responsive but in the small section I've tried, There is a small 'trench' at the top of the cutting as shown below and this appears across the route I was working on where there is a cutting.

53353552818_3fecdb1f5d_b.jpg
[/url]

There was no issue with track being buried or floating but I have also noticed that floating splines and scenery items appear to have been cure, at least in the sample of items I tried. Has anyone else reported the odd trench?

Cheers,
Innis

I know I'm bumping this thread but as there have been no responses regarding the image in the above post and I'm wondering if I am the only TRS22 user who has experienced or reported such an issue? I had hoped to convert a 5m grid route to HD but I can't do this if I'm going to get this bizarre trench beside cuttings.

Thanks,
Innis

Back