I'm back to Trainz after Rail Simulator was disappointing

stewie

I couldn't find my copy of TRS 2006 so I got Trainz: The Complete Collection ($8 at Best Buy). It had Routes 1-4 as well as TRS 2006. When I played TRS 2006 when it first came out, I was having so much trouble with CMP and was frustrated. When I heard that the Monorail was available, I went back and again, was frustrated. i saw that the Monorail was on the back of the box on The Complete Collection box and decided to go back as well as the new routes. I was very disappointed with Rail Simulator's lack of scenarios concerning passenger routes especially in the U.S. (there wasn't any). I loaded TRS 2006 and patched from the DVD the routes 1-4. Where is the Monorail? I noticed in added content and clicked on it, it brought me to the dreaded CMP. Do I still have to download it from CMP? Can someone give me easy instructions on how to do this.

The CMP and I don't get along and I'm trying to understand it because I really want to see if I can get NYC subway cars and if there is any Long Island Railroad cars as well (Metropolitan Transit Authority). I wanted to see if anyone created any NYC subway routes or routes on Long Island (like the Babylon line and/or Huntington line). Anyone give me a good lesson on how to use CMP...I would be greatful as well.

Finally, I was looking and saw that there is TRS 2006 updated with new routes on Amazon.com. It was mentioning about new passenger routes, timetables. "It's got the fully playable Hawes Junction, "passenger schedules and build your own timetabled service, track IR support." Is this included in the Routes 1-4 that was included with the Trainz Complete Collection?

I heard that TRS 2009 is disapointing also. I was going to get it when I got an email announcing that it's available for download but held off. I was going to finally get it the other day when I read some threads here, that said," wait, don't buy." Did I get the right one? The COmplete Collection? I was thinking of getting Trainz Railways because I saw the MTA trains (Metropolitan Transit Authority).

*I'm a diehard train fan. I use to have model trains. My father and I use to create a layout and run them. We had Lionel (O scale). I loved Microsoft Train Simulator and eagerly awaiting MSTS 2. I was disappointed with Rail Simulator and like the Trainz franchise. I love realism and love passenger scenarios*

Last edited:
There are just as many threads, if not more that say TRS2009 is okay. I'm not going to repeat what's already been said a million times, but TRS2009 WBE allows content creators to make content that will bring the best out of the product. That will take a few months. The horse has arrived, the boys and girls are now building the cart!

I couldn't find my copy of TRS 2006 so I got Trainz: The Complete Collection ($8 at Best Buy). It had Routes 1-4 as well as TRS 2006. When I played TRS 2006 when it first came out, I was having so much trouble with CMP and was frustrated. When I heard that the Monorail was available, I went back and again, was frustrated. i saw that the Monorail was on the back of the box on The Complete Collection box and decided to go back as well as the new routes. I was very disappointed with Rail Simulator's lack of scenarios concerning passenger routes especially in the U.S. (there wasn't any). I loaded TRS 2006 and patched from the DVD the routes 1-4. Where is the Monorail? I noticed in added content and clicked on it, it brought me to the dreaded CMP. Do I still have to download it from CMP? Can someone give me easy instructions on how to do this.

The CMP and I don't get along and I'm trying to understand it because I really want to see if I can get NYC subway cars and if there is any Long Island Railroad cars as well (Metropolitan Transit Authority). I wanted to see if anyone created any NYC subway routes or routes on Long Island (like the Babylon line and/or Huntington line). Anyone give me a good lesson on how to use CMP...I would be greatful as well.

Finally, I was looking and saw that there is TRS 2006 updated with new routes on Amazon.com. It was mentioning about new passenger routes, timetables. "It's got the fully playable Hawes Junction, "passenger schedules and build your own timetabled service, track IR support." Is this included in the Routes 1-4 that was included with the Trainz Complete Collection?

I heard that TRS 2009 is disapointing also. I was going to get it when I got an email announcing that it's available for download but held off. I was going to finally get it the other day when I read some threads here, that said," wait, don't buy." Did I get the right one? The COmplete Collection? I was thinking of getting Trainz Railways because I saw the MTA trains (Metropolitan Transit Authority).

*I'm a diehard train fan. I use to have model trains. My father and I use to create a layout and run them. We had Lionel (O scale). I loved Microsoft Train Simulator and eagerly awaiting MSTS 2. I was disappointed with Rail Simulator and like the Trainz franchise. I love realism and love passenger scenarios*

There's some of the content you want here and here.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Last edited:
I have TRS2009,PS1 and I like it very much. It does have some problems with third party locomotives such as Ben Neal's creations, but I'm hoping that gets worked out.

I have found the sound to be improved over TRS2006, plus I now have running gear from Trainz Classics as part of it. I have downloaded some of my routes that I made for TRS2006 from Virtualrailroader.com and they imported into TRS2009 just fine. I'm running a Dell 4600 Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz with one meg of memory, Nvidia 5200, 256K video card, Windows XP, and it runs very well. Since my routes at Virtualrailroader have been made with a minimum or no third party material, they worked well in TRS2009.

I HAVE had some very strange crashes, when I was importing some third party CDP's, that caused the compouter to totally shut down and I had to delete the cache file on startup. Right now I'm giving it a score of 8 out of 10. Hopefully the glitches can be fixed because I think this can be an excellent platform.

Unless you've grown fond of disappointment I would not purchase 2009, were I you.

If you find disappointment in a new better interface in 2009, I would have to agree.

If you find disappointment in a improvement in performance in 2009, I would have to agree.

If you find disappointment in other improvements in 2009, I would have to agree.

You will be VERY disappointed.

BUT, if you are like me and find pleasure in the improvements, you'll love it.

I downloaded 2009 the day is was made available and after finding the instructions on how to import all of my stuff from 2006, I have been extremely happy with 2009. Sure, there are issues that need to be addressed, but to stay away because of these minor issues is ridiculous.

I run Trainz before I go to work, I run trains at work and I run Trainz as soon as I get home from work.

Cheaper at the beginning...

:cool: I preordered the DVD because that was the low price way to get it....but you can now get TRS2006 on e-bay for ten bucks.

My Clinchfield session runs better on '09 but smoother in '06.

I'm route building in '09 because it's more advanced.

The bugs will eventually get worked out.

Thanks everyone. I will check out the guides and those links to the LIRR cars.

Is there more animation in TRS 2009? My anal realism is that I like pulling into the station and you can see people walking into the train cars (as you open the doors), seeing people run to catch the train as you ring the bell to signal that the doors are closing, seeing employees go out of the train car and check and give the all clear to close the doors, and the voice at the station telling you that you are cleared and ALL ABOARD! It would be cool to go into the cab and see people sitting or depending on the day/night (rush hour and such) standing.

If I don't get TRS 2009 (maybe later), which is the better one....Trains Classics? Trainz: The Complete Collection?

Last edited:
If I don't get TRS 2009 (maybe later), which is the better one....Trains Classics? Trainz: The Complete Collection?
Since you have already purchased The Complete Collection, why ask which is better?....Which recommendations would you listen to..? You decided to focus on the negative posts and ignore the positive posts in your decision on 2009...you previously owned TRS06 and was frustrated with it to the point of dumping it. That's first hand experience....but yet you still bought it again. Stick with what you have for now...otherwise you'll be running around in circles...:cool:

The bugs will eventually get worked out - maybe. Just like the sound problems in TRS2006. :eek:

Stuart

The problem with 2009 is not the bugs. They will be worked out. Someday 2009 will be a much better sim than 2006. Someday - and probably not soon.

The problem with 2009 (and it's been blathered all over this forum dozens of times) is that it wasn't designed for old data. And here's the important point - It never will be! Old routes will never run better in 2009 than they run in 2006. Old routes in 2009 are dedd, dedd, dedd. Auran doesn't care about old routes.

If you want to build routes from scratch, then start with 2009. But there's a problem here too. At the moment trees are the big problem, and there is only ONE tree that looks good in 2009, and that's because it was created with 2009 in mind.

Here's the tree:
Tree.jpg

I think you'll agree that you can't create much of a layout with a sickly looking lump of green matter like the one shown. There are more coming, and if you're willing to wait, that's fine, but be prepared for a long wait. There are other assets that we need also, like locos and rolling stock, and working industries.

You decide. You can't go wrong either way, as long as you know what you're buying with 2009, and what to expect (or better yet - what NOT to expect) from 2009.

Compatibility mode in 2009 is not the same as running old stuff in 2006. Not even close. Keeps these things in mind and you won't be disappointed.

TRS2004 which uses a very different method of asset management that people who find CMP unusable and unreliable usually prefer. Instead of using a database system, TRS2004 stores each asset in a separate folder, and the folder names are the kuid numbers.

John

TRS2004 which uses a very different method of asset management that people who find CMP unusable and unreliable usually prefer. Instead of using a database system, TRS2004 stores each asset in a separate folder, and the folder names are the kuid numbers.

John
Trying to find something in surveyor in TRS04 can be a bit of a nightmare though.

As far as trees are concerned, Jankvis is now starting to upload trees for 2009. He will reforest the world of 2009. He is also doing some 3D work with these trees also.

The problem with 2009 is not the bugs. They will be worked out. Someday 2009 will be a much better sim than 2006. Someday - and probably not soon.

is that it wasn't designed for old data. And here's the important point - It never will be!

Then why did auran fill the game with old content that, if were kuids and not Ja files would be faulty

Then why did auran fill the game with old content that, if were kuids and not Ja files would be faulty

Because they knew they wouldn't sell many copies of 2009 if it were to be used only for new data. They had to put the compatibility feature in to get the sales.

Auran admitted (check the posts and you'll find all this to be true) that they needed the cash to continue producing an advanced product, i. e. TS2009. They are a small company, they aren't Microsoft, and they were hoping that their faithful fan base would buy 2009, knowing full well that they wouldn't be able to take advantage of its features for some time. That's why they put it on sale for $19 if you signed up for the download instead of the discs.

Apparently it worked out OK for them, because they're still operating, they're still working on TS2009, and the Engineers Edition will be coming out in a few months. Supposedly the EE will include new assets and routes that we've been hoping and waiting for.

We'll see. I haven't seen much here that tells us anything about what will be in the Engineers Edition in the way of content.

In fact, if anyone knows anything about what EE will contain, I'd like to know. Or, if it's already been posted, can you direct me to the thread?

Because they knew they wouldn't sell many copies of 2009 if it were to be used only for new data. They had to put the compatibility feature in to get the sales.
Well sure, but it is quite handy that 2009 can still run the old routes. Putting the compatibility in is a Good Thing, surely?
Auran admitted (check the posts and you'll find all this to be true) that they needed the cash to continue producing an advanced product, i. e. TS2009.
(my bold)
Perhaps I'm word-niggling here, but I think "admitting" is something you usually do to something that has an aspect of wrongness. That Auran needs money in order to run the business seems fairly simple to me.

I find WBE a quite useful collection of content through the years, a sort of "the story until now" volume. That is easily worth the money. Plus, afaict, it runs these routes pretty well. Once EE adds some shiny new content, so much the better. But until then WBE is well worth it all by itself.

Back