If it ain't broke, just give them a minute... <KUID:447264:1005>

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member
It's been 6 months or so (pre SP4) since I fired up Trainz (Steam) but last night I decided to.

Thus began my adventure not in driving trainz, but in fixing it. Like owning a boat, this game seems to be more about maintenance that actually using it.

It all began with taking advantage of the "free until 1/15" offer.

I downloaded a couple routes, and had a go at them. I noticed a few "wire-frame boxes", the indicator of a missing asset, so I backed out to the content manager and had a look.

There were "missing dependencies" but they were all for sessions. I went ahead and did a database repair (again, one fired off automatically when I first ran the game, I assume due to the update Steam had applied)

Then I had a look at those sessions with "Missing Dependencies". I listed the dependencies and found... nothing missing.

*cue hanging head*

Ok... CTRL-Database Repair it is then (Extended Database Repair for those who don't know)

Off to bed.

This morning I have another look and my sessions are now all A-OK! Huzzah! But when I try to run the game, and load a route, the game hangs with me staring at the Mountaineer, no music, halted throbber (the 4 little "yes I'm still alive" boxes).

Looking thru the logs, I find an error Something Something Unknown Asset 447264:1005 - after a great deal of detective work, I find out it's associated with achievements from a much older version of Trainz.

Having been down this road before, I pull up my install files for TS12 - Install - Find that asset - Export to CDP - and manually install it to TRS2019.

This fixed it, but begs the question WHY!?! I've seen the posts, from Tony no less, stating this shouldn't be needed anymore, yet TRS2019 doesn't seem to care what Tony thinks, and insists on finding it - even if it doesn't use it.

I post this not expecting any sort of explanation, but mostly in the hopes that Google's dragnet will put it in front of someone's eyes if they too run into this problem.

I feel your pain but to be fair, your experiences have not been mine to anywhere near the same extent.

I have Trainz Plus (SP4) and Trainz Plus (SP5 RC beta). I cannot remember when I last performed an Extended Database Repair and the only DBRs I ever see these days are automatically performed after an update.

CM reports no missing, unknown or faulty assets. I have 4 assets that are listed as either "Packaged, Newer version available" or "Not installed payware (not active)" but none of them ever update or become active. I have been told that these are assets that are designed for the Android Trainz 3 version and their strange status is an anomaly that will eventually (TM) be fixed.

Missing assets from downloaded routes, sessions and other content are a source constant frustration for users. Most are caused by creators including 3rd party assets in their creations and then expecting users to go on an "Easter Egg" hunt to try to find them. Some are the result of creators including one of their own assets as a dependency and forgetting to upload it (I have been guilty of that myself). If CM reports missing or unknown assets after I install a downloaded route/session then my first action is normally to use the Delete missing assets tool in Surveyor. Failing that I delete the new route/session.

You have a valid point about assets from older Trainz versions not being available (for what-ever reason) in the latest version. There have been a few of these that I have come across, usually after an update. There is a free DLC package "Additional TANE Assets for TRS19" that you can install that will deal with most (all?) of these after installing TRS19 - start Content Store from the TRS19 Launcher and enter "TANE" in the search filter box. The others I was able to resolve by installing some of the DLC packages that I had purchased in earlier Trainz versions.

I have non-plus, so the rest of your experience is somewhat moot. Save for being a possible indication that things are improving.

I'll check again for that pack, but IIRC I have it installed already.

Last edited:
Like owning a boat, this game seems to be more about maintenance than actually using it.

:clap:This should be a standard disclaimer in every advert for Trainz. You really have a talent for written expression. I know it was a serious complaint, but I could not stifle a good laugh.

Last edited:
:clap:This should be a standard disclaimer in every advert for Trainz. You really have a talent for written expression. I know it was a serious complaint, but I could not stifle a good laugh.

Thanks. I try to weave a bit of comedy into my whingeing - and knowing it gave you all a chuckle does help ease the pain :)

Me neither! Wasn't this a trope used on 'American Dad' where Stan and Roger buy a boat only to spend all their time maintaining and never using it? (and end up burning it to try and claim the insurance and escape from never ending maintenance?) Sounds exactly like the Trainz experience! :p

Paul

This is also my experience while owning historically accurate keyboard instruments. More time is spent tuning and voicing than playing a harpsichord. My clavichord requires tuning before playing and that process takes about an hour or two, and that's before I get to sit down and actually play.

It's born of truth. Friend of mine, now passed, had a 32' Trojan, we spent way more time working on it than using it.

As my grandfather said used to say (borrowed I'm sure) "A boat is a hole in the water you try to keep filled with time and money."

Back