I need help with 4-track tunnel stuff

Veristek

Hey all,

I'm been trying to look for the following for my 4 track mainline project:

1. 2 different Tunnel portals for 4 tracks (portal hole = 7m high for catenary + double-stack freight + Amtrak Superliners)

Type 1 = USA 5m spacing between tracks
Type 2 = UK 4m spacing between tracks

2. A tunnel spline 7m tall (without tracks) wide enough for 4 to 8 tracks, similiar to NYCTA tunnel but taller.

Type 1 = USA 5m spacing between tracks
Type 2 = UK 4m spacing between tracks

3. A spline of wall mounted lights for tunnels and retaining walls (preferably orange lights).

I'll elaborate further. Here goes...

I need a 4 track tunnel portal, because the various 4 track tunnels I found terminate at both ends with the tunnel's retaining walls, digholes, etc. I'm looking for a tunnel portal that only terminates at one end, so I can widen the tracks inside the tunnel for an underground station, plus allow for empty space to transition tracks and such. As it stands, if I use regular tunnels, I can't break up the tunnel for transitions and stuff. The tunnel portal hole needs to be 7 meters tall to accomodate double-stack freight, Amtrak Superliners, and the overhead catenary system. Also, the tunnel portal needs to have 5m spacing between tracks for USA standard gauge + spacing. An UK 4m spaced tunnel portal would be good, so I can use the portals interchangeably between USA tracks and UK tracks.

I need a tunnel spline without any track. The NYCTA subway packs have what I'm looking for, BUT these track-less tunnel splines aren't high enough to accomodate F40-PH's, Amtrak Superliners, fully loaded Double-Stack carriages, Big Boy's, and so on.. PLUS the overhead catenary system. These tunnels are designed for short subway cars, not tall mainline trains with catenary wires. If the NYCTA tunnels at the DLS were like 2 or 3 meters taller, they could easily accomodate all the mainline trains I plan to run through these tunnels. The reason why I need a tunnel wide enough for 8 tracks is so I can put the station, junctions or extra track lines inside the tunnel, kinda like Penn Station in NYC.

I'm trying to find a spline that I can lay along retaining walls and tunnel walls that will put orange lights on these walls. Some NEC (Northeast Corridor) walls have wall-mounted lights, notably in Boston and NYC portions.

These will go A LONG way towards making my goal of building underground main line stations in a dense urban setting a reality. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I've made a few tunnels and as far as I know the generation of digholes is automatic. It might not be possible to eliminate one (but for your sake I hope someone tells me I'm wrong).

One possible solution might be to disguise the dighole at one end in some way. Perhaps make the portal parts look like the tunnels ceiling and walls.

Sounds like an interesting project. Hope someone comes up with a workable solution (having spent a lot of time under NYC, lol).

Ben

I've made a few tunnels and as far as I know the generation of digholes is automatic. It might not be possible to eliminate one (but for your sake I hope someone tells me I'm wrong).

One possible solution might be to disguise the dighole at one end in some way. Perhaps make the portal parts look like the tunnels ceiling and walls.

Sounds like an interesting project. Hope someone comes up with a workable solution (having spent a lot of time under NYC, lol).

Ben

Here's a couple examples of a tunnel portal I'm referring to:

kuid2_122285_3221_1.jpg

KUID:122285:3221:1

kuid_122285_2018.jpg

KUID:[FONT=Verdana, Arial]122285:2018[/FONT]

This portal can be placed as a building or object, and isn't a tunnel per se. Just place one of these on a hillside, and then add whatever tunnel track or stuff you want beyond that portal. However, the portal I need will need to accomodate 4 tracks in both US and UK spacing (5m and 4m respectively). In addition, the portal hole itself needs to be about 7m tall to accomodate the catenary + "tall" cars and locos.

I've seen a few like that. Even made one (and only one). Perhaps ask the gent who made those to modify one or two for 4 tracks?

Ben

I've seen a few like that. Even made one (and only one). Perhaps ask the gent who made those to modify one or two for 4 tracks?

Ben

Hmm... Andi06's the guy who made these tunnel portals. I'm not sure if he's active or not. If I can't get in touch with Andi06, what program do I have to download and use to make my own tunnel stuff?

Gmax from Turbo Squid and some items from Auran, tutorials, etc and a ton of patience. Gmax has a steep initial learning curve but the results are well worth the effort (if you can resist putting your foot thru your monitor, lol). Seriously - it really isn't that bad but don't expect to make a 2-8-8-2 on your first day. Start small and simple. Work thru the tutorials. Don't be afraid to try this-n-that. Ask queations on Forum. Oodles heaps and gobs of folks willing to help. Errors can be erased and/or corrected (some will be hiliarous and produce incredibly unusual results). The old "how in the name of all thats holy (and a little that isn't) did I do that"? And of course you probably won't remember how even if you want too. Gmax is just as much an adventure as it is a tool. Enjoy.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the necessary links (hint hint).

Ben

Whilst I've not produced any dedicated 4 track portals there are spline assets in my tunnel kit which can be used to construct them. You will find details (including a tutorial which is a little out of date) at this link.

This is my problem with the NYCTA tunnel spline.

175a919878.jpg

As you can see by the red arrow, the tunnel is far too short height-wise to accomodate the Amtrak Superliner, much less the catenary system. This is why I'm looking for a 7 meter tall (or as high as possible to accomodate that catenary system in the picture) height tunnel spline, plus a similiar height empty tunnel space to insert a station inside (empty space tunnel needs to be like 8 tracks wide or something).

There has to be something other than NYCTA tunnels I can use as a wide open space to place a station in.

Last edited:
Back