HUD has a huge impact on performance

Hi

I really like the HUD in TRS19 but I am seeing a huge difference in performance when it is turned on in driver - it runs very poorly with a lot of stuttering.

If I turn it off (F5) everything is silky smooth with no stuttering at all.

Does anyone else see this problem?

Any thoughts or suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Are there any particular routes this happens on? It may be that there is a lot of information for the HUD to process.

What build are you using (5-digit number normally on Launcher)?

Shane

Hi Shane

My current build is 97556 - on the original build it was still there but not as noticeable.

It seems to be on all routes that I have tried.

Other strange observations I have noticed on a new route I have just started to build:

1. There is less stutter if I set the draw distance higher say 10000 meters rather than 8000? - weird!
2. There is less or almost no stutter at all when driving through heavily populated areas as opposed to approaching blank baseboards at the current end of my route where it stutters pretty badly? - really weird!!

Pity because as I said previously I really like the new HUD but I have to have it turned off for a decent drive experience.

Steve

Are there a lot of junctions (switches) and other information?

Try turning these on or off and see what happens.

That is an interesting observation regarding the draw distance.

What video card do you have and what are your graphics and performance settings for TRS19, just wondering? It could have something to do with post processing and other stuff.

Hi John

On the route I am building there are no junctions approaching the current blank base boards (about 6 or so a mile or to behind)

Video card is a GTX1080i
CPU is I7 5820K
RAM 16GB

I have TRS19 installed on a separate Samsung 960 EVO SSD drive

Settings are:
Shadows high 4096
Texture Normal
Post Processing High
Water Low
Detail Scenery Off
Antiliasing 8x
Detail Update High

I've tried tinkering with these settings but they don't make much different and these seem to be the best.

As I say approaching blank baseboards at the current end of my router seems to stutter the worst.

Steve

Steve I have nearly the same setup!

My system and setup:
Video card is a GTX1080i
CPU is I7 5930K
RAM 64GB

I have TRS19 installed on a separate SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD drive with data on an older Seagate 2 TB hard disk.

Differences in Bold

Settings are:
Shadows high 4096
Texture Normal
Post Processing Ultra
Water I have TRS19 installed on a separate Samsung 960 EVO SSD drive

Settings are:
Shadows high 4096
Texture Normal
Post Processing Ultra
Water Ultra
Detail Scenery Clutter + TurfFX
Antiliasing 8x
Detail Update Ultra

I also have Texture streaming disabled. You don't specify your settings here, but this does impact performance on the 1080Ti cards and works better for the less powerful systems.

I also have unchecked PhysX simulation

and have Process objects behind camera checked.

I keep my draw distance at about 10 km because I have a lot of trees and cities and there's no reason for 15 km draw distance with a forest and valleys. :)

Hi John

Yes I have the same settings with only process objects behind the camera checked.

Do you see any stuttering at all with your setup?

Steve

I have an almost identical PC setup as you guys--- Alienware i7-1080--- I notice no difference with or without the HUD, however, I get less stutter with a longer draw distance, too. I get no real noticeable stutter or lag, except, when I look out the side window of the loco, there seems to be about two to four really quick "jerks" in rapid succession every half second or so. I never got this until this latest update.

Hi Dave

I concur that the stuttering problem has become really noticeable for me since the current update but for some reason it's only when I have the HUD turned?

Steve

Hmm no difference here either Hud on or Off

i7 6700K
16GB DDR4
GTX1080TI
TRS19 on a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO
Currently everything on high settings apart from detail update which is on ultra.
Draw distance Maximum - likewise get better frame rates with a higher Draw distance
Antialiasing x8
Very occasional stutter on my FR / WHR route but in exactly the same place as it occurred in TANE all builds, other routes stutter free.

I just tested my very, very big mash up route with a gazillion trees, consists, cities, industries, and lots and lots of AI drivers. There is very little stutter except for the busiest places and then it's only there and no where else. When I reach empty baseboards, I see the same as I have in other places with no drop in performance.

Is there something in the distance past your blank baseboards? Maybe there's corrupt content or something.

Hi all

I also have the same problem as Steve.

These are my system data:
------------------------------
OS Windows 7 (64bit)
Video card GTX960 2Gb
CPU AMD FX-6100 3.3 GHz
12GB RAM
TRS2019 build 97556

Settings are:
-------------------------------
Shadows: Medium 2048
Shader: Ultra
Texture: Normal
Post Processing High
Water Low
Detail Scenery: Clutter only
Antiliasing 4x
Detail Update High
Use multiple render theards: On
Use texture streaming: On

The route for this test was: "Route Sabino Lake Italy" = 42 FPS (Fraps v.3.5.99)

When I activate the HUD, the FPS initially fall to 27, and after a few seconds, they move from 35 to 40 at most.

I hope these data can help you.

Regards

Hi, i have exactly the same problem.
my pc:
i7 2.6GHz
GTX 1060 w/ 6GB (with last nvidia drivers)
12GB RAM

TRS2019 (lastest version from auto updates)

I noticed that in many routes like official italian one and on the Rostov Premium from N3V store. If i open the HUD it stutters per each 1 or 2 seconds, the stutter is so nasty that it even looks that for a millisecond it goes back and forward, when i turn off the hud it goes very smooth. I have like +40 fps and i tried all, including vsync on/half/off, all settings at max, all settings at low, big distance view range, lowest range view, etc etc Also, all settings of hud on, all off (including turn off the route profile).

Nothing make that stutter stop when i have HUD on. Also idk if its coincidence or not but that stutter is much more nasty when the train is accelerating or reducing speed.
I hope it will be fixed in future or if its a hard solution, i dont mind to have the old hud as an option because i need to see some important data that hud provides for sessions like the targets points and windows from sessions etc. Running all the time with hud off is a bit of a showstopper issue.

I saw your thread and its true, exist something not right in the hud. For reference, I have all my trs2019 in a modern ssd and the trainz folder on AV exceptions. This is not a external issue, its something on hud that is creating that stutter. I also noticed that when the speed of the train is constant it looks that stutter reduced even with hud. Idk if the legacy hud will be better or not, if exit a checkmark to change to the legacy hud, i dont mind to have it to not have that stutters.
And like CrystalNoir mentioned, its independant of trainz settings low or ultra, its only a matter of hud on/off.
Also exist something on the engine that bottledown the performance, in the SnC sessions with rain it kills the performance, it sometimes have freezes of 1s. I only have premium routes and contents from N3V store and no faulty or missing assets.

Does the performance issue occur with 3d-driver animated images?

Try the 2d images instead and see how this works. I use the 2d-images so that may explain why I don't have that problem now that I think about it.

Also turn the HUD off completely by pressing F5 while in driver.

I recommend reporting the issue here:

https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

Fill out the form and explain exactly what's going on and the steps you took to not only cause the problem but also any fixes or workarounds as well.

I saw your thread and its true, exist something not right in the hud. For reference, I have all my trs2019 in a modern ssd and the trainz folder on AV exceptions. This is not a external issue, its something on hud that is creating that stutter. I also noticed that when the speed of the train is constant it looks that stutter reduced even with hud. Idk if the legacy hud will be better or not, if exit a checkmark to change to the legacy hud, i dont mind to have it to not have that stutters.
And like CrystalNoir mentioned, its independant of trainz settings low or ultra, its only a matter of hud on/off.
Also exist something on the engine that bottledown the performance, in the SnC sessions with rain it kills the performance, it sometimes have freezes of 1s. I only have premium routes and contents from N3V store and no faulty or missing assets.

Hi

Since starting this thread I have tinkered with settings both in the game, my video card, virus checker and windows and seen a very small improvement but the damn stuttering is still there with the Hud on. I,ve now resorted to just turning it off to get a pleasurable experience in the game. I know that's not the answer but after many hours of trying it is the only thing left to do at the moment. I also still see poor performance when testing my route when driving towards the current end of the line where there are just bare baseboards and no assets? After building more of the route the area where it was stuttering is then OK until I reach the new area that is then the end of the line.

Could I ask if there is a definitive guide of how the settings for NVIDIA graphics cards should be set to for optimal performance for TRS19 as I have seen so many different opinions on YouTube with regards to gaming in general that I have become totally confused?

Even after all of the above in general I think the game is the best Trainz yet.

Steve

I tried with all settings of the hud off (no track profile, 2d driver imagies, all unchecked, etc etc etc) no fix for the stutter, its only with hud off that quits the stutter. Big sad that also disable the sessions messages and icons to were to stop.

You can reduce the size of the hud in settings, might make a difference, doesn't here but I haven't got a problem with it anyway, GTX1080TI.

That's weird - I set up a simple test route with single track (TRS19 Track Concrete Procedural 4 - Seasonal) and placed a loco (RMRX GP40-2) in the centre of the board in the Driver Session.
With the HUD switched to ON and with no animated portraits I got framerates at least 20FPS (average) LOWER when I switched the visibility of the HUD and UI OFF with the F5 toggle!
i.e. It was faster with the HUD, Driver pane and Menus visible.
There was really no discernable difference in the frame rates when I switched from Animated Portraits to 2D portraits. Values were essentially the same.
Funny to see the same driver change gender when you switched between these portrait alternatives!
My Interface Height setting is typically set to 20%. I will check to see whether this has any impact on the framerates shortly.

Last edited:
Back