How to properly back up your route

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Good morning;
There have been several postings from unhappy Trainzers who have lost their routes after a HDD crash.

Here is the method I use to get a complete backup of my routes. This will allow you to import the route again into a freshly installed TS of the same build or later than that which was used to create the route.
This will work for TS2006 and TS2009. I don't recall how I used to backup in TS2004, but it is somewhat different.

1) Open CMP

2) Select the "My Content" tab

3) Left-Click to highlight the route and the session you want to back up. Make sure you also have the session for the route highlighted.

4) Right-Click on the highlighted route and select Save to CDP

5) Accept the default name or type in another. Select a folder to save your route.

Note: Never save the route to the same hard drive as where you have TS installed. You want to be able to recover your route if the HDD crashes.
I highly recommend a removable (USB, etc) drive.

6) Click the SAVE button to create the CDP file. This process can take some time if the route is large and/or complex.

Now, you must also back up the route's Dependencies.
If you fail to do so, you will need to re-download those that are not built-in content from DLS, or if you have created your own assets, you will need to find them after the route is restored.
The method outlined below is much easier:

1) Again in CMP on the My Content tab, Left-Click to select the route you want to back up.

2) Right-Click on the highlighted route and select View Dependencies from the menu.

3) Click the button "View in Main List". This will open up the main list showing all dependencies for the route.

4) Click any item in the list, then press CTL+A or Right-Click and "Select ALL" to select the entire list

5) As you did for the route, Right-Click (make sure that all items are highlighted), and select Save to CDP from the menu

6) Type in a name for the dependencies. This must be a unique name, not the same as the name you saved the route as. I recommend using route name_dependencies as the file name.
You should save the dependencies to the same folder where you saved the route file.

7) Click the SAVE button, and go have a cup of coffee, tea, or whatever you prefer.
If the route is large and/or complex, this process will take some time.

When you need to restore your route, you simply import the cdp file for the route (and session), and the one for the dependencies and you will have your route back the way it was before the crash.

I perform this operation about once per week if I am actively adding or removing content on my route, or less often if I am not.
I frequently save my working routes to cdp on a separate hard drive.

Always use SAVE AS when saving your route from Surveyor. Give each saved route a slightly different name so you know which one is the most recent.
Each night I save the last 3 revs of the route I have been working on to cdp.
Then, I delete all but the last three to save space and to reduce the number of routes I have to scroll through in the Surveyor menu to find my latest rev.

It is very important to remember that you cannot restore a route to a previous version or build of TS. If you created the route in TS2009 SP1, build 38599, you will not be able to open that route in any build prior to 38599, but you will be able to open it in a future build.

When you really want to create a permanent backup, copy your cdp files to CD or DVD.

I hope that you will find this little tutorial helpful, and may your Trainz dayz be crash free!

FW

Re-Writable DVD's are handy, as you can connstantly edit your route, and update it indefinately...but a 1 hard backup copy on a regular non-rewritable DVD is safest way to store a CMP of your route, and assets, that way it wil never get accidentally erased.

For versions 2006 and 2009 I do the following.

At least once a month I back up the 'local' sub directory to an external hard drive. The advantage of this is that now I have captured all my routes, their contents, and any other items I have downloaded or imported from somewhere else. This backup takes me about three hours, but the advantage is that if you ever need to replace your hard drive, or buy a new computer all you have to do is copy the backed up 'local' folder into your 2006 or 2009 directories.

The process described by FW is good for backing up a single route or multiple routes but it does not capture very easily all the custom content that you may have created/imported/downloaded over time. I use the the process described by FW for making incremental backups of a route I may be developing.

Paul_Bert;
I have been backing up the local folder of my TS every week as well, but I have read here that copying the local folder back into a fresh install of TS can cause problems.

Have you ever had to restore that way? I believe one of the Auran software engineers has advised against simply replacing the local folder with a backed up copy. Maybe it wouldn't cause problems. I have never tried it.
That might be something that is worth trying. I can install yet another copy of TS2009 onto my system, then try it.

FW

I use a disk image program called Acronis. A copy of the entire partition with Trainz and all programs is contained in the image. To restore the partition takes only a few minutes.
Should you by accident delete a file just mount the image and search for it in Explorer.
It is usual for me to keep a couple of images on my second drive.

May be Auran should build in a back up application into trainz so that trainz does an auto backup.

I used the archiver and it will not load back 2 of the files it created, seams 2 have a 1.99GB limit and 2 of the files it created are over that.

nzld

Thats all fine and well. But lets not forget the dependencies that have their own dependencies. You've saved the Route, Session, Dependencies of the route and session, but you still have to hunt down those other dependencies. not to mention what exists in the portals. and yes, I know about that rule you can add to save those, but what about the Dependencies that go with them? I'd like to be able list in CMP ALL items needed for a given route/session.

re FW's Comments, I have always backed up the Local folder to an external hard drive and mostly due to my stupidity, have had to re install my TRS2006 about 6 times and have never had any problem with the local folder being uploaded from the external drive. Everything I had before is there and away I go once more
Cheers
PJ

I back-up using a combination of the methods mentioned:

I back-up the Local folder onto an external harddrive.......but, because I (unfortunately) learned the hard way......just like regular hard drives can crash and/or fail, so too external hard drives will also fail (as will most everything mechanical) eventually.

For that reason, I make a second back-up onto a DVD.

Just gives me a little sense of safety knowing I have a copy on a disk that has no moving parts of it's own.

Regards,
Mark

...in CMP on the My Content tab, Left-Click to select the route you want to back up.

2) Right-Click on the highlighted route and select View Dependencies from the menu.

3) Click the button "View in Main List". This will open up the main list showing all dependencies for the route.

4) Click any item in the list, then press CTL+A or Right-Click and "Select ALL" to select the entire list

5) As you did for the route, Right-Click (make sure that all items are highlighted), and select Save to CDP from the menu

6) Type in a name for the dependencies. This must be a unique name, not the same as the name you saved the route as. I recommend using route name_dependencies as the file name.

^ This doesn't work for me, because when my CMP finishes packing all the assets, I get a message out to the side of a lot of my items that says, for example:

*Error: You cannot add the item 'Gantry_L' as it is a built-in item.

There is no option that says "Pack only not built in items"...

Any suggestions?

I have had trouble saving CDP files and installing them into another computer.
I have 4 assets that I have tried several times to move using save to CDP
When installed on another computer they would not open in surveyor.
Found that when in surveyor, under the "Trains Tab", if the asset shows
shows in red lettering in the list instead of white, the asset may not show
up in the window under the list, and can't be installed on a Route.
I was able to download the assets from download station on the new computer and they opened fine. I did try several times using DVD's and CD's. I just happened too have
problems with these 4 assets, but feel I may have trouble with many more.
The 4 assets that I was unable to save to CDP and move are;
D&RGW Maintenance Flanger Car Kuid2:60238:15004:3
Durango & Silverton Narrogauge Caboose #0540 Kuid:284555:100425
D&RGW Narrogauge Caboose #0540 Kuid:43955:15540
36in Snow plow Kuid:181672:548733

I am very disapointed in my results using save to CDP's.
Have not tried to copy any of my Routes yet, perhaps in a few days.
Have not tried to copy the entire "Local" folder yet. May try that just
to see what problems that causes.

Mel Perkins

Fwassner thank you for that. i have been trying to work out how to do it for weeks and was dead scared i was going to loose all the work i have done so far. One Question though. When i did this it didnt seem to copy any of my trains as they dont show up on my screen when i installed the copied files to my other computer. Is there a way to do this.

Paul_Bert;
I have been backing up the local folder of my TS every week as well, but I have read here that copying the local folder back into a fresh install of TS can cause problems.

Have you ever had to restore that way? I believe one of the Auran software engineers has advised against simply replacing the local folder with a backed up copy. Maybe it wouldn't cause problems. I have never tried it.
That might be something that is worth trying. I can install yet another copy of TS2009 onto my system, then try it.

FW

Yes I have had to restore and no I have never had any problems. Recently I installed a second copy of 2009 for testing purposes and loaded a copy of my local files from the first copy. Everything was there and it worked without a hitch.

The advantage I see in this scheme is that in fact you get back everything including custom content, items that you may have emitting from portals and all the other custom changes you have made over time to any of the content. In 2009 CMP will tell you the database needs repairing but after it finishes with this task everything seems to work, at least that is my experience.

Great Tutorial!

I printed this up for further use. Finally something I can understand:hehe:
I saved my route to a cdp in another drive and I will copy it to a CD.
However I did run into a problem with step 5 saving the dependencies when I right click on a dependency the save to CDP is not an option I can click on to save from the menu so I have again failed in one of the steps.
I need help again!
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bob

^ This doesn't work for me, because when my CMP finishes packing all the assets, I get a message out to the side of a lot of my items that says, for example:

*Error: You cannot add the item 'Gantry_L' as it is a built-in item.

There is no option that says "Pack only not built in items"...

Any suggestions?

Easy fix. Add a search line for "Built in" and click the equal sign to the left.

I STILL would like a way to save your non built in objects without having to search out every stinkin dependency

Here's really big question other than physically mailing a DVD of my routes CDP by smail mail...how can I send a CDP of my route to someone else ? Does it have to be uploaded to a File Sharing Hosting Site...the file I'm talking about is in excess of 10mb...too large for Yahoo IM to handle.

Paul Bert/Others, I use Solway's Plain Backup when I backup my Trainz info. It's free. When you use it the first time it may take some time but after that first time it will only backup new files. It's great.

Back