How to make the route big on TRS2004

Hey im woundering how to make the route big on TRS2004,i want to built the PRR route.

There are numerous ways to do this ranging from building one baseboard at a time to downloading and manipulating DEM files of the region you are working on. There is more information in the Surveyor and Driver forum than what I'll give you here.

To handle DEM files, you need either HOG or TranzDEM, which is highly recommended by those that use it). These programs will allow the DEM information to be translated into a format that Trainz can handle. There's some in between stuff you have to do, but I'll leave this as it is for now. Once your base, pretty much blank map is installed, you can then lay the roads and rails in their proper place. Speaking of the DEMs, a retired forum member Paul (Fishlipsatwork), made some ready-made blank terrains that can be built on. He did various areas of the country and may include the area where you are planning to work. These blank routes were created using HOG and include the preformed landscape as well as the TIGER lines, which show the placement of roads, track, streets, and waterbodies.

The other, more arduous method, is to build each baseboard one at a time. You expand the single baseboard using the advanced tab on the topology tool. There is a baseboard add, and delete. Each time you add a baseboard on the end, you get another 720 x 720 meter grid to work with. The advantage of using the DEM import method over this is the terrain is already modified. With the blank flat baseboards, you need to manipulate the landscape. There's a way of placing map images on each baseboard and tracing over them, this is both good and bad, and can be a pain... I usually use this for small areas that I am working on. It's also great for tracing off model railroad routes that have been scanned from a book.

There's no reason why you can't combine the methods mentioned while building. My route for example, is loosely based on New England, but is a combination of other peiople's work, mine, and blank DEMs that have been imported. There's an art in its self for blending the different pieces together so that it isn't obvious that these parts are from differernt sources.

The most important things to remember is to save early and save often, and be sure to have safe copies elsewhere. Once you get into the building mode, the whole world will shutdown while you're route building. It will be too easy to remember to do this until it's too late.

Remember have fun. When the route building becomes too much of a chore, take a break from it and do something else; been there and done that.

John

What area of the PRR are you interested in ? It went just about everywhere, from the East Coast to St Louis and Chicago. Several large yard complex's all over NE US...Greenwich, Conway, Pitcairn...etc...etc & "Enola Yard"-Which is on DLS, as is "Pennsylvania Lines".

im interested of PRR Cleveland Line ran from columbiana to ravenna ohio.i try it on TRS2004 if i could make the layout big that would be aswome to build the era is 1993 in conrail era.

Hey i cant find the download thing to make the layout big on TRS2004 can everyone send me a link.

the download thing to make the layout big on TRS2004
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should be a little clearer about the nature of your question.

I'm guessing the problem is that they can't find the extend baseboard tool. I myself was restricted to one baseboard for most of my early constructions.

I'm giving up so no one help me to find it ill find it by my seft.that means download the basebord or i give up.

Look. Go into Surveyor, then click the topology (the land section) tab. Click the button at the bottom of the tab which says 'advanced' and a new bit will come out underneath that tab. There are a few controls there, two of them being for baseboards. One is ADD baseboard, the other one is delete baseboard. If I remember rightly, they are at the top of the extra bit which comes out. Click on the add button, then a space in which you want to have another baseboard, and it will make one. To delete one, press the delete button (baseboard with a cross over) and click on the baseboard.

Hey thanks Guys it really work now.now i can make the big PRR Cleveland Line Route ill let you know how is it ok when i get it done show you my screenshot of it ok.

Hey, I'm working on a large route of northeastern PA combining Reading and Northern and NS Reading Line with my own DEM and Scranton to Delaware Water Gap and Kingsley, PA on the old DL&W.now Steamtown, Delaware-Lackawanna and CP. I did what you did, Citron, combining layouts with blank DEM to form a super layout.

Hey thanks Guys it really work now.now i can make the big PRR Cleveland Line Route ill let you know how is it ok when i get it done show you my screenshot of it ok.

So you figured out how to use the extend baseboard feature found in the topology map that others were informing you about? Good luck on your route building as it can be quite a challenge to the newcomers to the game....a good idea would also be to use the copy & paste features when it comes down to the task of adding trackside scenery to your route as it saves you the time of having to pick & choose the items you want by hand each time.

It may also be helpful to use the "merge route" option in the surveyor menu to create detailed landscape elements that can be placed over & over throughout your layout,just take a blank baseboard & add any ground textures you choose(grass,dirt etc.) & shape the terrain of the baseboard to suit your fancy(or needs) & save it under a name different from that of the route you want to use it on & then just use the merge route feature to place your saved landscape on the map.

Back