How do I make Trainz run smoother?

I have tried the setting "maximize performance" but it makes the liveries unable to work, so does anyone else know another way to make Trainz run smoother? How do I maximize performance AND make liveries work? I have tried lowering the performance settings, but that hasn't helped.

What's your hardware, in particular the GPU, which version are you running TS22 and what are liveries?

Thanks John

Hi,
your PC has a number of components inside the box.
the CPU (Central Processing unit) - does all the work in running the program
the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) - turns instructions from the CPU into the format that the display can use.
also these’s a disc which stores the program and data. It needs to be fast enough to let the CPU have data without delays.

the easiest way to find out is to right click the mouse over the bottom left icon, the select “system”. This should bring up an overview of the main components.

hth,
Colin

I use a Mac

Well if you give the model number of the MAC and any information you have about it that might help. In general Mac's are a more expensive than Windows machines for the same hardware and the Mac version of the software isn't always as up to date as it could be.

Cheerio John

Trainz runs fine, cost has nothing to do with helping you out, since you have the equipment and game. Trainz has been optimized for Metal and ASi Macs since Trainz 2019 SP3. Trainz 22 does better yet.

Several things to try, make sure you have the latest version of Trainz. After starting Trainz, click on Trainz settings, click on MyTrainz tab, make sure your user name is correct. If you click on your user name, it will tell you if your password is correct. Next click on Install tab, this lists where your user directory is. If your user directory is on a old style HDD like I do, instead of a SSD, performance will not be as good. This is where you can change the directory, after you copy or move the current directory. I recommend copying the directory as to create a backup, and it prevents Trainz from thinking you have a new Trainz install and having to set things up again. More importantly on this tab, is to click on Change Trainz Update Stream. I recommend keeping it on TRS22 for most people. Next click on the Performance tab. This is where the greatest performance changes will be done. This also depends on what Mac you have and what route you are trying to run. The problem is they don't give Mac examples when trying to setup the game to begin with, so we are left to guess what performance level to choose. On my M1 Mac mini, I used to run with Ultra settings, but with more demanding routes I knocked it down to high settings. Better Macs and running off SSD will allow higher settings.

My settings:
[FONT=&quot]Shadow Quality: high[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Main Shadow Resolution: 2048[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shader quality: standard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Texture detail: normal[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Post processing: high[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Water quality: high[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detail scenery: clutter only[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Antialiasing: 4x[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Use PhysX simulation: unchecked[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]process objects behind camera: checked[/FONT]

There's a page on the net (can't remember if wiki or whatelse) which explains how much each setting impacts on performance. Unfortunately I can't find it now and post it here.
If it can help, I can run most routes at high settings (I'm not interest in ultra settings because they have a heavy impact on performance and the sim experience is more important than scenery to me) with 4 to 8 and 15kms distance at 4k @60 fps (display's limit) on a Mac Studio Max with 24 core GPU.

Last edited:
Back