How can I?

gzerovti

Hi,

I am new to Trainz. I have just purchased Trainz 2006.

I am not fully conversant with the running and use of the sim yet but I have had a go at using one of the scenarios in "Surveyor" and putting in my own trains, rolling stock etc.

My query is:

After I have created my own layout with loco etc with an existing scenario, and I save it and close down, why is it not still in surveyor when I return?

I can find it in Driver but if I wish to add to my scenario how do I put it back into surveyor to do this? Is it possible?

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to Trainz. I have just purchased Trainz 2006.

I am not fully conversant with the running and use of the sim yet but I have had a go at using one of the scenarios in "Surveyor" and putting in my own trains, rolling stock etc.

My query is:

After I have created my own layout with loco etc with an existing scenario, and I save it and close down, why is it not still in surveyor when I return?

I can find it in Driver but if I wish to add to my scenario how do I put it back into surveyor to do this? Is it possible?

Thanks

Hi gzerovti,

First of all, if you can find it in driver you must have clicked on the save game icon. This means the next time you load it from there the session will be where you left off. If you load the map from original, then place trainz and then go to drive it is automatically saved as you go into drive, but the next time you load it it will be back to the start i.e. where you placed the trainz in the first place. There is also a "save as" function in the top drop down menu, using this you can rename the map and session.

Hope this helps,
Bill69

Also
Sessions are saved in a sub-menu under each route. Clicking on the route opens up a list of associated sessions, they are not necessarily visible when you first open surveyor.

Chris

Thanks Bill and Chris for your replies.

However my main query is still;

On another sim I have you can use a mission editor to create your own missions etc and you can come back to each saved mission in the editor at any time and add or delete items. The missions are saved in Custom missions but the editor can call them up for changes etc.

Can this be done in surveyor? If I create a route and add in rolling stock and scenery etc and then save it will appear in driver as you have said, but how can I go back in to change/alter things within the saved route?

Perhaps you have answered this query but I am not reading it correctly.

Thanks

Terry

I think it should still be there my friend. Perhaps your fooling around in driver has caused a problem. You have to open the sub menu item as haddock boy above mentions.

Bernie

Once you have saved a session in driver, you cannot edit that saved game. You can still edit the original route, but not the driver session where you got up to and then saved.

Thanks once again for the reply.

Just a few last questions I hope.

1. Where is the original route kept.

I understand saving to driver and opening and running but how do I edit the original route?

Sorry if this is going round and round but to me its a fundamental part of the simulator.

My system requires me to keep the DVD in the PC? I do not understand this but it has been suggested elsewhere that this is to stop copying?

2. Also perhaps you could tell me if I should download SP1 for my Trainz 2006?

Thanks again for your prompt replies i do appreciate your help.

regards

Terry

What version of Windows are you running?
If you're running Vista, you need to run the program in Administrator mode otherwise you can't save your routes in Surveyor.

Welcome to the Trainz Forum by the way.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

I am running vista Home edition and I went into a series of files and changed them to admin mode.

I still cannot seem to save my routes in surveyor! They are there in driver though.

Do I need SP1?

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,
1. The original route should be in a folder called local in C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006 (default location). CMP names these files randomly (or so it seems:hehe:), so the best way to get to it is to open CMP, find the route using the search box on the left, and then right-clicking on the route and selecting edit -> edit in explorer. This will take you to the location of the route.

To edit the original route, open trainz, and go to the surveyor menu. The route should be there. If you find it and click on it on the left, the session should spring out on the right. You can edit either one.

2. Yes, although the file is over 700MB, it is a very good idea.

Thanks Captain Collins for your reply.

I will have a look this evening when i get home.

What is the difference between Trainz 2006 and Trainz Railways that I have seen advertised? Are they basically the same but railways has been updated?

Thanks

Terry

Trainz railways is the UK version of trainz classics, and as such it is not an updated version of TRS2006, as each new release is an updated version of the old TC version.
However, TC3 is due out soon, and you may want to wait for that.

Hi John,

I am running vista Home edition and I went into a series of files and changed them to admin mode.

I still cannot seem to save my routes in surveyor! They are there in driver though.

Do I need SP1?

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,

No, you don't need SP1 however I recommend it anyway for other reasons. In regards to your saving problem. you still need to run the program as Administrator.

Right mouse button click on the TRS2006 shortcut.
Choose either Run as Administrator - top part of the menu

or for a more permenent solution...
Choose properties at the bottom
Then the compatibility tab
Then check the box (lower part) under Privelege Level
to Run this program as an administrator.

I hope this helps.

John

Hi John,

I have gone into the file as you suggested and I am already down as the administrator.

I still cannot save files and it is driving me crazy.

I create a route in surveyor and save with my own route name. I go into driver and it is there and I can operate the route.

I go into surveyor and there it is and I can edit the route. I save try it in driver, all OK.

I quit Trainz and go back in. No route in surveyor? Route is there in driver, but how do I now edit???

Terry

Terry,

This is still sounds like a permissions type of problem with Windows not allowing the program to save the file under your name or under the account that saves the files.

Do you have adminstrator access to the system? In otherwords, are you part of the Administrator group? If you are not, you need to add yourself to the group. This is done through the control panel. Look for user-access rights or something like that. I'm running Ultimate so there maybe some different options for the version you're using.

If you are a member of the Adminstrator group, and the adminstrator has access to this folder, you shouldn't have any problems like this going forward.

Don't be afraid to PM me for some extra help.

Good luck,

John

Hi John,

Once again thanks for your reply.

I have checked my system and I am down as the only administrator.

I have tried once again to create a route and save. Quit Trainz and go back in. It is in driver but not in surveyor? So no chance to edit.

I wonder if I need to uninstall and reinstall the software?

At a dead end now.

Cheers

Terry

Terry,

Check my understanding of your problem:-

1) You can create a route in Surveyor (need only be 1 baseboard, minimal content -i.e. 1 tree!) and save it wth a name?

2) you can open a route in surveyor (any route), edit it and resave it with either the same name (overwrite) or new name?

3) you open a route in surveyor, add a locomotive and save this as a session (i.e same route name + session name)?

4) You can open a session (try same one as 3) in Driver, use the commands to operate the train.

5) In stage 4 you can exit and the prompt is "do you wish to save"?
- you give the saved session a file name.

6) open Driver (again), one of the options (bottom line) is "saved sessions" - click here and the saved session re-loads to the point you saved?

Yes to each one is normal!

I suspect the problem is that there are two meanings for "saved sessions" - one from surveyor, one from driver.
Think of it this way - once you have started a session in Driver, you can save where you are & return later. However, it just isn't possible to edit this file with Trainz.
To make changes, you have to edit the Surveyor-session, save it, then re-start in Driver + reload the session.

Hope that helps,
Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand everything you say and I agree your list 1 to 4 is normal.

I go into surveyor. I create a route and give it a title. The route shows on the "tree".

I go into driver and the route is there just as I saved it ready to run.

As long as I do not quit Trainz I can go back and forth between surveyor and driver to edit and save etc.

As soon as I quit Trainz and then restart and go into surveyor the route has gone?

In driver it is still there!

My only question is how to retrieve the original route for editing in surveyor? Why does it disappear.

Where does it go.

I have gone into CMP and called up the files and they appear but it will not let me use "ready to edit" button?

Maybe I am doing something wrong I dont know? This is all I want to do, I will learn the other details i.e making my own scenarios from scratch as I progress.

I have used the search facilities and the manuals but it all becomes very confusing and some of what it tells you to do doesnt work.

Also my version of Trainz ony runs from the DVD but this should not affect the above I dont think?

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks or that - it does narrow down the possibilities (honest!)

Just to go back a little:-

You have to keep the DVD in the drive - that's characteristic of the Just Trainz version (UK distributors). Not a likely cause of your problem.

What is the build number? (appears briefly on the bottom right of the screen as you start up.
It may be that you have a version without SP1 (Service Patch). The addition of the SP does make the program better - though there have been reports of problems with the download and install (have a search - I think Collins1 had a useful set of posts). If you do update, do read the instructions carefully & follow them to the letter (I didn't & that meant another re-install!)

I think that you might have to check the properties of each exe file using explorer and set them to "run as administrator" - there's a few threads on using Vista - I'm using XP, so I'm not an expert here.

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin,

The build is 2.5 2773

I did see the entries re Vista and administrator files and I went through these, or thought I had.

Will try SP1 and look at instructions for down load.

Thanks again.

Terry

Back