Hit texture limit. How to find and delete unwanted textures.

pepperref

I modified a fairly large route and upgraded to HD texture. How can I find out which textures are being used so that I can eliminate the ones I don't want to use anymore?

Routes using HD terrain are limited to 16 different textures per baseboard but each baseboard can have 16 totally different textures. If a baseboard exceeds that number then the extra textures in that baseboard only will be replaced by one of the 16 textures already used. This is a limitation imposed by the hardware, not the Trainz software. According to reports most other games/sims that use HD terrain have a similar (or even lower) restriction. Unreal Engine, for example, limits you to 8 textures for what is their equivalent of Trainz baseboards. Others don't impose a limit but rely on developers to identify and sort out any problems (e.g. performance and/or visual issues) caused by the use of excessive textures.

I have only encountered this is one large route I upgraded from 10m resolution to HD. The upgrade reported that one baseboard had exceeded the 16 texture limit and it gave the co-ordinates of the baseboard so I was able to check it but could not see anything amiss.

For "normal" (i.e. non-HD) routes I believe that there is a limit to the number of textures that can be used. It is a large number that I have never remotely approached in any of my routes so I have never worried about it.

Is there any way to identify which textures are used on each baseboard so I can standardize some textures across the route to reduce the chances of hitting the limit on any one baseboard?

None that I know of. There is (or so I believe) no way of even counting the number of textures used in an individual baseboard but Content Manager will tell you how many and which ones are used in the entire route.

Back