Help with files

What do I need to do with modified and modified,obsolete files?
You don't have to do anything.

"Modified" means an asset (what you refer to as a "file" is actually an entry in the Trainz asset database) means that you have created or edited/altered ("modified") this asset yourself or installed it from somewhere other than the DLS.
"Obsolete" means that a newer version of the same asset is already installed. If you wish you can delete "Obsolete" assets provided that they are also labelled as "Installed from DLS".

For a more detailed description of the Content Manager status labels see the Trainz Wiki Page Understand Content Manager Status Labels

Last edited:
Modified assets are assets that you have modified locally, or as least that Trainz thinks you have.

Out of date assets are assets that have a new version available with the same kuid, except that the last number in a kuid2 id has been incremented, or when a kuid without the last number has been upgraded to one with.

Obsolete assets are assets with an entirely different kuid have declared them to be obsolete.

Contrary to what many people think, the last two are effectively the same thing, just achieved in different ways.

For your Modified assets, if you have no idea how they got that way, select them, right-click, and choose Revert to Original, and the modified version will go <POOF>. If you modified them deliberately and want to get rid of the changes, same thing. If you modified them deliberately and want to keep the changes, DO NOTHING.

For your Obsolete and Out of Date assets, make sure that you have the latest-and-greatest by right-clicking on them and selecting Download. For both categories, this will seek out and download the newest version available on the Download Station, along with any new assets that they depend on and the old one didn`t. Sometimes, though, the newer version has gotten marked Payware, and when this happens, the DLS will not allow you to download it. If this happens, come back for more help. Once you have gotten the latest versions, then and only then can you delete the old versions. Just be careful that you are not deleting the current version. More help available for that, too

I`m sorry to disagree with with you, @pware, but that is NOT what Obsolete means. I have researched this. It means no more and no less than that it was mentioned in another asset`s "obsolete-table" section. See KIND TrainzBaseSpec for details. The page you linked to is incorrect.

With all due respect, I have to agree with Pware. If there is a newer version and it is not already installed, it will have a status of "Newer version available". If the newer version is installed, it will have a status of "obsolete" and can be deleted. At least, it has always worked that way for me.

I`m sorry to disagree with with you, @pware, but that is NOT what Obsolete means. I have researched this. It means no more and no less than that it was mentioned in another asset`s "obsolete-table" section. See KIND TrainzBaseSpec for details. The page you linked to is incorrect.
Thank you for that and I understand what you are saying but I have to disagree.

From the Wiki Page I listed:

This means that the selected asset has been updated by a newer version that is installed on your system. This qualifier label can appear on any assets such as Installed from DLS, Packaged, Built-in

From the reference you listed. The tag "obsolete-table"

A key-value list of assets which are made obsolete by this asset. Any attempt to load an asset referenced in this list will result in this asset being loaded instead. The assets referenced in this list must have the same creator as this asset. It is illegal for two assets to both mark a third asset obsolete, unless one of the two also marks the other as obsolete. Circular obsolete references are illegal. All lower-numbered KUID2 versions of this asset are implied as obsolete and need not be included in this list. It is illegal to mark a higher-numbered KUID2 version of this asset as obsolete as that creates an implicit circular reference.

The emphasis in the above quote is mine.

A creator can certainly list one of their own assets in the obsolete-table tag as being obsolete and I have done this myself and, as it turned out, unnecessarily as the newer asset had a higher kuid2 number anyway.

With all due respect, no. It has never worked that way, as far as I can tell.

I suggest an experiment:

Create three throw-away assets in an unused range of your IDs.
Two assets are nothing special. Anything will do, as long as they have different IDs.
The third should have a kuid2 that supersedes one asset, and lists the other in the obsolete-table.
List all three in Content Manager. I predict that one will list as Obsolete and the other as Out of Date.

If I`m wrong, I apologize profusely. If I`m right, well....

OK, tested as described above.

Screenshot 1 - Three test route assets created
<kuid:45176:105481> Test Route Original
<kuid:45176:105483> Test Route Secondary
created by using "Save As" in Surveyor from the original so it has a different kuid code
<kuid2:45176:105481:1> Test Route Original created in CM from the original using the "Create New Version" option so it is an Update with a kuid2 code

Screenshot-2024-02-15-094156.png

<kuid:45176:105481> Test Route Original is listed as "Obsolete" because <kuid2:45176:105481:1> Test Route Original has superseded it with an update to its kuid code. <kuid2:45176:105481:1> does not have an "obsolete-tag" in its config.txt file (I checked) so <kuid:45176:105481>is not identified as "obsolete".

Screenshot 2 - the config.txt file of <kuid2:45176:105481:1> Test Route Original has been edited to add an "obsolete-table" tag containing <kuid:45176:105483>the version created with the different kuid code.

Screenshot-2024-02-15-094853.png

<kuid:45176:105483> Test Route Secondary is now listed as "Obsolete" which is totally expected because it is identified in the "obsolete-table" of <kuid2:45176:105481:1>

None of which contradicts my (or Forester1's) understanding of how obsolete works.

Obsolete-table is used to replace an asset with a different kuid with this newer asset.

Obsolete is shown when a newer version is installed or another asset with a different kuid has replaced it.

Out-of-date is the same as a newer version available but only if the newer version is not installed.

Without even looking to see what results you may have gotten, I`m here to report that while what I said makes sense, it turns out to be incorrect.

I apologize. The documentation that I have seen says that it should be that way, but it apparently is not.

The results that I got is that the one that should have been labeled "Out of date" by my understanding was labeled "Obsolete", and the one that should have been labeled "Obsolete" by my understanding was labeled with neither.

I was wrong, and I admit it, without even reading your posts first.

Now to save this and see what you guys wrote.

Back