Help With Australian DEM Rescorses

azurerail

Hi Trainz Community!.

Because of the varied nature of Digital Elevation Maps (DEM) Rescorces, and the many posts on the Subject, im Calling for support in Summarizing the process of creating a TRANSdem trainz Editition generated route. Specifically of Australias Eastern Central Coast. The reason is that there are so many way's to Create DEM generated maps in Trainz and most of these seem to be of canada ,U.S and Europe because Dems are supposedly Free for those regions, and as a Result tutorials are made based on those Free Dems?. Many Tutorials have been undertaken by me in my attempt to learn the proscess of creating a Dem Generated map using TRANSdem by Roland. As i Explore tutorials, Read these forums for methods all i Get is Confusion between, HOG,RASTER,DEM,SRTM, Blackall (Dem Generator) and Google Generated Maps for Trainz?. As Stated in Many Forums including these forums and Transdem's it is a Difficult thing to learn for a Beginner, and can take months to Learn. Granted we all have to Learn the Ropes of generating Routes using HOG (HAND OF GOD) and TransDEM, but i think mabey with all of the Creative minds here in the Trainz Community, You could Collaborate for us New to Dem,s rasters, TRANSdem and HOG in a layout that i think would help us Leran a little Better so we can Join you all in advanced prototypical route Building :cool:. I propose a Thread Dedicated to the Explenation of all these External apps and Rescorses, places to Find Dem Data. The many Tutorials out their, inculding ones on this Forum are constructive on the Processes of working with the variouse Apps, But there seems to be no Newbie point of Entry into Advance route Building with TransDEM or HOG and many others that are Jumbled in my Memory trying to sort it all out:confused:. So i Absolutely Politly ask one of you good people to Create a Tutorial in this Thread or if you know of a Good Newbie TUT, so i may make use of my recent investment in tranDEM for the First time:eek:. But Before i leave this to Thought, i have a numbered needs to understand points Below that hopefully help me and others understand better!. And thankyou So much for Reading, and i look foward to Creating prototypical routes to Share with all of you when im up the ranks with you Advanced rout Builders:)

1:DEM's Digital Elevation Modal-Map- These files are possible to get Free?-But the Easier ways Cost money, alot of money. By the many Trains maps Explored, some of them were created by TransDEM. Is it necesary to Buy Dems-or are there ways around Buying them in Australia (World). Dems and rater maps? are these the same thing or are Rasters just Bitmaps without Elevation data like Google maps but with a Co-ordinant grid?

2: RASTERS: Are rasters all that are needed to Create a Prototypical route in trainz, Can we Simply go to Google Earth-Maps Save and load into transDEM, Aquire Co-ordinants and Elevations from that Source?.

3: SRTM and Dem?- Are these two Related?. To my knowledge SRTM's were taken in 2000 by a NASA orbital Servery to map earths Elevations. Can a Dem File be Created From SRTM images? if so how?

4: HOG-or Hand of God?-How is this Related to Dems?-Can one Create Dems from HOG using Satelite Images?. Or is HOG like Trainz Surveyor- To Manipulate a Raster Grid via an Application to copy Topography?

5: GREY SCALE IMAGE- Can Greay scale images be used to generate a Dem?

6: Geoscience Australia? This is a recommended Sorce of Aussie Dems, I cant find Dem Files there nor do i know what type of data to Download?,. I Have downloaded 27MB Bin files-Text files only to find that an app called Black art is needed to load the data but is not recognized by Black art.

7: Black art- What is this app to do with Dems?

8: Many 3RD party apps that are used in Trainz Route Generation Seem Contradictive to the result of learning the Ropes?.

9: Lastly Id like to know Simply as possible of how do i create a Prototypical Transdem generated route of the Brisbane-Sydney interstate railway line in the First basic step of just generating a DEM of the railway lines surrrounding ellevation in trainz as a First Step.

Im Very great full in Advance of all your creative Help, and im sorry to start another Thread on this Issue as i know how common a Request it is:hehe:

Always Best Regards:
Jared AKA Azurerail

The simplest thing to do is to read and follow the Quick Start Guide in the TransDEM Trainz manual. This will introduce and explain most of the terms you'll need.

Most important is to distinguish method or process (TransDEM in this case) from geo data sources.

When dealing with TransDEM you can safely ignore all other external software, MicroDEM, HOG, greyscale and color band images, Black Art etc. You won't need any of those.

DEM: A DEM is a geo data source for elevation data and by itself not related to Trainz. However, the term DEM has been misused often to refer to a terrain-only Trainz route where the terrain has been shaped by a DEM data source.

An Australian is no different to any other route project. You will always need three types of geo data: DEM, cartographic map in raster form, and basic vector data. (Aerial images are an option.)

The easiest to use source for DEMs is SRTM, the easiest source for a cartographic map is a Map Tile service. The vectors you usually draw yourself. If you follow the Quick Start Guide from the TransDEM manual you will use these data sources for a German route. Once you have achieved that, simply transfer your route location to your spot in Australia and start the same process again. After success there, we can talk about other and possibly more advanced data sources.

The simplest thing to do is to read and follow the Quick Start Guide in the TransDEM Trainz manual. This will introduce and explain most of the terms you'll need.

Most important is to distinguish method or process (TransDEM in this case) from geo data sources.

When dealing with TransDEM you can safely ignore all other external software, MicroDEM, HOG, greyscale and color band images, Black Art etc. You won't need any of those.

DEM: A DEM is a geo data source for elevation data and by itself not related to Trainz. However, the term DEM has been misused often to refer to a terrain-only Trainz route where the terrain has been shaped by a DEM data source.

An Australian is no different to any other route project. You will always need three types of geo data: DEM, cartographic map in raster form, and basic vector data. (Aerial images are an option.)

The easiest to use source for DEMs is SRTM, the easiest source for a cartographic map is a Map Tile service. The vectors you usually draw yourself. If you follow the Quick Start Guide from the TransDEM manual you will use these data sources for a German route. Once you have achieved that, simply transfer your route location to your spot in Australia and start the same process again. After success there, we can talk about other and possibly more advanced data sources.

Thank you Geophil!, Ill get back to the Manual and see how i go, Always a Big thanks for taking time to help me, Geophil.

Best Reguards- Jared

Back