Has the dust settled on SP1-HF3 ?

4449tj

TS12 for now
Hi, Patching Trainz has become a large idea for me now that we have HF3 but, my main question is will my homemade stuff A.K.A routes be broken because I don't have Thumbnails for them? also: Is it a necessity to turn off your anti virus? or can it be left on
Thanks In Advance
TJ

Turning off your AV is highly recommended. Yes, missing thumbnails will cause an error in SP1 and beyond installations.

I think so. The missing thumbnails do cause errors but that is easily repaired. It actually runs pretty well once everything has settled down.

Just remember to:

1) Backup your Trainz install to another location first just in case you have problems
2) Reboot your computer.
3) Turn off A/V and anything else you may run in the background such as system cleaners, file downloaders, and other "helpers"
4) Disconnect from the internet
5) Run the patch overnight so you're not tempted to play with the computer while the service pack is installing.

It can take a very, very, very (did I say very?) long time!

6) Plan on doing an EDR afterwards

7) Clear and errors (false errors) by highlighting the content in Content Manager and viewing errors and warnings. Any residual errors are real errors.

Hope this helps.

John

My Mom does not want to turn off A\V so My real question is will it screw things up or just make it take longer?
Thanks

I found mostly it took a very very long time. instead of 1 1/2 to 2 hours it was in the 6 to 7 hours range.

My Mom does not want to turn off A\V so My real question is will it screw things up or just make it take longer?
Thanks

Hi 4449tj,

If you disconnect from the internet, and even pull out the cable from your computer, you can then disable your antivirus safely. Just remember to enable your antivirus before reconnecting to the internet, although most antivirus software will reconnect on a reboot of the computer.

I have personal experience where it would not allow a patch to proceed with the antivirus running. Not every time but at least 2 that I can think of in the past 3 years.

Hope your mum allows to do what is necassary to patch. All the best, Andrew.

Last edited:
I would add, after installation, restart your computer from a cold start, shut down completely. And after each EDR or QDBR also do a restart.

John

Also patched to SP1-HF3. Had the Settle and Carlisle add on installed before the patch, now it's shown as a built in item for routes and sessions. From content manager you can't view in surveyor and get a pop up box with "This content is payware DLC and cannot be opened for edit in Surveyor". Also on opening Trainz, options, general the product key for trainz is shown but not the Settle Carlisle key. if I try to enter the key I get this "You have not entered a valid Product Key. Please check that you are entering English characters." The key etc. are correct, Before the patch there was no problem,

If you can't turn off your anti virus, then back up all your content and give it a try. It may take longer but who knows. Also, which AV program do you use? I use MS Security Essentials and the first time I did a patch I didn't disable it and it patched without any problems. Or do as suggested, download all the patches then disconnect from the internet. Then you can turn off you AV and install the patches. Just know that you shouldn't do anything else on that computer while the patches are running.

I would add, after installation, restart your computer from a cold start, shut down completely. And after each EDR or QDBR also do a restart.

John

Restart after each patch as well and don't start Trainz until you re all patched up.

If you can't turn off your anti virus, then back up all your content and give it a try. It may take longer but who knows. Also, which AV program do you use? I use MS Security Essentials and the first time I did a patch I didn't disable it and it patched without any problems. Or do as suggested, download all the patches then disconnect from the internet. Then you can turn off you AV and install the patches. Just know that you shouldn't do anything else on that computer while the patches are running.
We have Norton
TJ

Hi 4449tj,

If you disconnect from the internet, and even pull out the cable from your computer, you can then disable your antivirus safely. Just remember to enable your antivirus before reconnecting to the internet, although most antivirus software will reconnect on a reboot of the computer.

I have personal experience where it would not allow a patch to proceed with the antivirus running. Not every time but at least 2 that I can think of in the past 3 years.

Hope your mum allows to do what is necassary to patch. All the best, Andrew.
So what you mean is just disconnect from the Internet and then I can safely turn off Norton?
TJ
P.S. we have a wireless connection to our internet. I think?

Last edited:
One other thing, where should I back up Trainz to?
Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped and will continue to help this rookie
TJ

So what you mean is just disconnect from the Internet and then I can safely turn off Norton?
TJ
P.S. we have a wireless connection to our internet.
Yes. Either disconnect at the modem/router itself, turn it off or pull the plug, or just disconnect at the computer itself

One other thing, where should I back up Trainz to?
Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped and will continue to help this rookie
TJ

Copy your User Data folder and put it someplace away from you Trainz installation. On a separate drive if you have one , or anyplace where you can get it if the patching goes awry.

Copy your User Data folder and put it someplace away from you Trainz installation. On a separate drive if you have one , or anyplace where you can get it if the patching goes awry.
Do I need to copy the entire trainz folder or just the user data? and where on my computer would be a good spot?
P.S. I have a digital download of TS12

Do I need to copy the entire trainz folder or just the user data? and where on my computer would be a good spot?
P.S. I have a digital download of TS12

Just the user data folder will be fine. If you don't have an external hard drive or off computer storage device put it in your documents file or anyplace you save important stuff.

If you cannot turn off the antivirus, then set the Exceptions up to not scan the patch file, the location of it, and the folder where you have trainz installed. It is that simple.

Back