Handbrakes on JR cars

KickingRocks

I'm having difficulty getting all of the handbrakes to release on a particular train. The train consists of 112 Teoli gondolas which default to having all handbrakes applied at the beginning of the session. When the locomotives begin to move, the first half of the cars release their handbrakes automatically, but the remainder do not, and the train cannot be moved. I can release each brake manually using the right-click menu, but it is extremely tedious to operate over 60 cars in this manner.

Is there a command or action that can release all handbrakes simultaneously?

Thank you.

I just made a consist up of those gondolas, 100 cars. 3 locos. No problem starting moving.

That's odd. On my end, the first half of the train begins to move, but ultimately gets hung up as the slack runs out and the remaining handbrakes fail to release.

I should also note that I am running in cab mode.

Last edited:
That's odd. On my end, the first half of the train begins to move, but ultimately gets hung up as the slack runs out and the remaining handbrakes fail to release.

I should also note that I am running in cab mode.

I had Ai in control. Will try cab.
Even though brake cylinder shows 0 it needs more time. As soon as zero showed I set off, it just took up the slack then stopped. From releasing train brake it took 90 secs before getting moving properly.

Last edited:
how do you know the handbrake isnt releasing? the indicator in the properties window is mainly used for activating the brake. if the train is stopped once you enter driver then all of the brakes are active by game design. once you release the train brake and begin moving they should all disengage. in short, i don't think your problem is the handbrake at all.

what i did adding that in the properties was a way to interact with the brake for the purposes of kicking and stopping cars, otherwise the handbrake works just like the handbrake on any type of trainz car.

I found that 2 N&W cabeese that I bought from JR had a config file with the tag: engine 1 (when it should have been: engine 0) and I wondered why they would not roll down my hump yard grade ... it was because they were drivable locos, with this tag, and they would not free roll.

Possibly in CAB mode this makes a great difference in brake release ?

I found that 2 N&W cabeese that I bought from JR had a config file with the tag: engine 1 (when it should have been: engine 0) and I wondered why they would not roll down my hump yard grade ... it was because they were drivable locos, with this tag, and they would not free roll.

I think they do that so they can add an interior without trainz throwing a fit, and most of the time cabeese aren't/weren't humped anyways...

I think they do that so they can add an interior without trainz throwing a fit, and most of the time cabeese aren't/weren't humped anyways...

Maybe true ... Even though allot of railcars are stenciled "DO NOT HUMP" ... all railcars should be freerolling, and should not be a drivable loco.

They added allot of horsepower to my trains ... lol ... like a visible "AI Loco" does

I'm humping everything I can ... with reckless abandon :hehe:

Last edited:
Maybe you don't have enough horse power to move the train?

I often find that what SHOULD be enough HP is not enough. For example, 3 C30-7s (9000 HP) can barely move a 5000 ton train on a flat surface, while I'm sure I read somewhere that a general rule of thumb was 1hp/ton.

I often find that what SHOULD be enough HP is not enough. For example, 3 C30-7s (9000 HP) can barely move a 5000 ton train on a flat surface, while I'm sure I read somewhere that a general rule of thumb was 1hp/ton.

then that means their engine spec is wrong. only other thing would be the cars have the wrong weight, but that should show up in their totals.

3 JR CSX C30-7s. 1 5000 ton train made of only JR cars - I have to bring it up to around notch 6 before it will move, and it is impossible to start on an uphill .5% grade even with 4 C30-7s.

You should be able to move 5,000 tonnes with a single loco rated around 500+ kn power on level track with ease,

when it comes to grades I've found that locomotives will pull certain loads based on their tractive effort.

1% Grade 1,000 tonnes, 150kn will lift it, so if a locomotive is 300kn it'll lift 2,000 tonnes on the same grade or if your 600kn it'll be 4,000 tonnes.

Cheers.

That is only about 25000 lbs of drag on a flat track, you should be able to move it with one C30-7.

0.5% you need 2 C30-7s to reach 25 mph.

1% grade you'd need 3 C30-7s to reach at least 25mph.

2% grade you are looking at 6 C30-7s to reach 25mph.

I tried it on my own install with 3 csx C30-7s and 42 loaded CSX 100-ton hoppers. this came out to about 5015 tons of trailing weight. I have no problem moving them in notch 1 with bunched slack, and that is even on a curve.

check to be sure your engine specs are up to date.

Last edited:
hm, no... that is an SD40-2 engine, but still should be able to pull 5000 tons.

<kuid2:45324:6307:4> C30-7 engine is the correct and most up to date for this engine to use.

Yeah, seemed weird. I haven't edited these locos, I'm going to re-download them and see if they still need the "SD40-2 engine".
EDIT: I re-downloaded the CSX C30-7 and it still requires the "SD40-2 engine." Perhaps an updated version could be put on JR?
The only two C30-7s which rely on the "C30-7 engine" (<kuid2:45324:6307:4>) are the NS and UP ones. I'll run a test to see if the same train runs better with these locos.

Last edited:
Okay - I ran a test between the NS and CSX C30-7s. 3 C30-7s and 42 loaded WM 100t hoppers - came out to 4105 tons, but it doesn't really matter as I am comparing the locomotives. Start on a .5% grade, see which train can get faster quicker.

NS Train: I put the sander on and slowly increase throttle to notch 3. It takes about 30 seconds to hit a steady 2 mph. I increase the throttle to Notch 4 and it takes another minute and 20 seconds to reach 10 mph.

CSX Train: I put the sander on and increase to notch 3. It goes to 1 mph, then slows back down to 0. The train is still in notch 3. It takes 40 seconds before I can achieve a steady 2 mph, while it took 30 with the NS units. I incrust throttle to 4, and it takes another minute and 10 seconds to reach 10 mph. So the engine specs are pretty comparable.

I'm still not sure why 4105 tons is incredibly easy to move, yet the engines struggle to move 5300. Maybe I was increasing throttle too much at the start.

Back