Haiti

motorbreath

Earth Rocker
I don't get choked up very easily. I was just reading some reports from Haiti that popped up on Yahoo when I was checking my email. It broke my heart. The pictures of elderly people whose nursing home was destroyed was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I encourage anyone who has the means to contribute to the relief effort, even if it is a few dollars. Jointed Rail has a link to Habitat for Humanity and instructions posted on their site if you do not have another organization in mind.

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Trainz Community.

We have been watching CNN who seem to have the most in depth coverage of the situation in Haiti.

Our local Walgreen's Pharmacy has a method that allows you to chose a $1, $5 or $10 donation to the Red Cross at the point of sale when you make your payment. And yes, we did contribute to the Red Cross.

Hopefully, other large retail outlets will do the same.

Also, texting... HAITI to 90999 contributes $10 to the Red Cross, .... however....the money does not transfer until you get your phone bill and that bill is paid.

While the situation there is horrible, the fear is that it will worsen as the aid already at the airport there is not yet moving to the people who need it most.

Our prayers for these people.

Regards,

Google Clinton Foundation and you get President Clinton's website that lets you contribute directly to the Haiti Recovery effort. The site states that 100% of contributions go directly to the Haiti effort.

Earl

Haiti has recieved BILLIONS of dollars of aid from the US and the EU since 1922, apart from the various charities and nothing has changed there in that time period. I don't see how funneling more money into that hole is going to help now.

Haiti has recieved BILLIONS of dollars of aid from the US and the EU since 1922, apart from the various charities and nothing has changed there in that time period. I don't see how funneling more money into that hole is going to help now.

I couldn't agree more. It the same with these African countries screaming out for aid, yet all they want to do is fight amongst themselves all time. Charity begins at home, as soon as they start helping themselves then maybe I will help them. Why should I fund a war.

No political discussions in the Auran Trainz Forum please. There are many other sites where this can be discussed.

For those that wish to donate money to this earthquake ravaged Caribbean nation, there have been many charities mentioned here already.

Cheers

AJ

I'm not giving another dime to Haiti, with all the money it has recieved, it should be another Dubai, not the illiterate, disease infested slum nation that it now is.

And what, pray tell, does this have to do with Trainz anyway?

Last edited:
My School even Collected Money for Haiti in Plastic Jars at our Latest Pep-Rally, and It easily rose to well over $100 in Change and 1s.

I heard that up to a Million people died there. But the number keeps changing around to 100,000, 500,000, 200,000, and so on...

AGH :(

I'm not giving another dime to Haiti, with all the money it has recieved, it should be another Dubai, not the illiterate, disease infested slum nation that it now is.

And what, pray tell, does this have to do with Trainz anyway?

I suppose it has nothing to do with Trainz, you have a valid point there. But Ed, please do not turn this into a political "love or hate Haiti" thread. I usually enjoy your posts, including the (cough) occasional off topic remark, and hope to continue doing so without starting an unnecessary argument. If someone has no interest in this, then just go to the next thread.

And yes Haiti may plagued with disease and have a high rate of illiteracy, but people do not choose the world they are born into.

But we are all entitled to our own opinion, and the ability to decide what to do with a few extra dollars we may or may not have.

Look, I'm no bleeding heart here. There are many things about this world and it's governments that repulse me. But it is most often not the fault of the people living in these places.

I'll shut up now, and hopefully this thread can continue without turning into a soapbox debate.

No, there's nothing wrong with wanting to help those people...that's not my point. My point is that Haiti has been free for about the same number of years that the US has been, and they have done nothing to improve the country. Yes, they have had some unfortunate luck, and yes they do not have the same resources as other nations, but they have received BILLIONS from the US and Canada and the EU over the years and where has it gone? Infrastructure? Housing? Public health? I would think not.

These charities take your money and put it into their general funds, they don't run out and buy a loaf of bread and throw it on a boat to Haiti! They want you to donate money so they can use it how they decide, they don't want you to donate food or clothes, because food and clothes aren't liquid enough to be converted for use in other ways. I propose that no amount of money will help Haiti, it will just disappear into the gangster hole that Haiti has always been.

I feel badly for those people, but I don't suffer from wealth guilt enough to throw more money at them. I certainly wouldn't try to convince anyone else not to, it's a noble act to try to help others in need whether it's a lost cause or not.

Settle down Ed...:hehe:
If you need to vent, go talk to Rush.:p

This has been an extremely tragic event, I am deeply saddened by this and hope that a great work can be done there to unite us all as humans to help one another.
We have been praying for the people of Haiti every morning at school, it is funny how tragedy has a way of uniting people.
We plan on sending money to support them, and possibly making a trip down to Haiti to help with the mess.

I encourage all of you to pray for, support and encourage these people in their immense loss.

Woody:wave:

Back