Ground Texture Issue

clekev

been here before...
terrain.jpg

I'm guessing this is a known issue, but searching 'ground texture problem' yields not a few replies ,so...
When I apply a ground texture - either a specific TS19 texture or an 'old' texture, the ground kicks up like in the screenshot above, it's almost like the texture becomes a semi-transparent layer riding just over the base. In some areas the ground seems to 'recover' after a save, but in others objects remain slightly buried, and I have reset all terrain levels to 0.0 with no reduction to the ground texture 'layer'......

Second issue - I post in a zillion forums, I know how to post a pic, so what gives in this crazy place.....

https://imgshare.io/images/2021/03/20/terrain.jpg

*Edit - that link 404s if clicked, works if copy/pasted....

terrain.jpg

Last edited:
With pictures your best bet is to upload the screenshot in game, to the gallery, then copy and paste from there. You can't upload a pic from pc directly. Other option is to upload to a website that hosts pictures and paste the URL from there. I've never heard of the ground 'kicking up', but PBR textures can create shadows that give a transparent effect, which happens (if memory serves) when shadow settings are set to ultra. Drop that to standard, and that problem goes away.

It has to do with PBR textures especially with track and roads the texture can pop through them. The way to fix it is to paint an non-PBR texture. Not all PBR textures have PBR in there name. I noticed a lot of the built-in textures from earlier games got updated to PBR.

I got a 404 at the image link, (Trainz Gallery is really easy once you figure out the login, drag, and drop, then copy link), but I do know in some texture work I have done I have noticed some of the PBR textures having a certain sort of apparent "depth" to them. I recall one desert scene I was working on where I could not settle on the texture I wanted, and after changing it three or four times, my tracks started to disappear.
EDIT: Thanks for the tip, Hert, I will give that a try when I run into it again.

@ Alikiwi Eased most of the graphics-related settings back 1 notch and problem sorted, now I'll tweak them one at a time till I work out exactly which setting does the damage :)

The "damage" is caused by mixing PBR and non PBR assets or using PBR textures at too large a scale. JohnnyC1 has a range of over 1000 PBR textures on the DLS which I have used almost exclusively on a very large route with no issues other than self inflicted ones. The only PBR textures I use at full scale are rock faces well away from tracks and splines. Note also that these textures can be rotated but will affect their height mapping in the margin between rotations. Long shadows enhance the height mapping effect, while noon sunshine show little effect.
Cheers
Graeme

Your link is malformed. Move the mouse over it and you will see that while the text of the link is correct, the hyperlink href drops the g in .jpg so clicking on it means it is looking for an image named terrain.jp which doesn't exist but copying the full text works when pasted. Did you have to add the "g" by hand when you pasted the link?

https://imgshare.io/images/2021/03/20/terrain.jpg

x39686

@ grazlash, thanks, I'll check that out

@wreeder, interesting! The 'g' was not added, but copy/pasted from host. Thanks for spotting the glitch :)

Back