Fixed tracks and alignment

Lucidor

Dear All

I am struggling with getting smooooth curves and thought that the fixed tracks would fix the problem. The curve is ok, it´s smooth and nice but when it is suppose to straighten out there is this little "twist" that makes the train move sideways in an un-natural way.

Anyone have a solution?

Lucidor.

The secret to smooth spline curves is to use the 'Straighten Track' tool on the straights before and after the curve. It is not always possible but try to have no more than one spline point in the curve, and none is better....

Andy ;)

Dear All

I am struggling with getting smooooth curves and thought that the fixed tracks would fix the problem. The curve is ok, it´s smooth and nice but when it is suppose to straighten out there is this little "twist" that makes the train move sideways in an un-natural way.

Anyone have a solution?

Lucidor.

It might help if you can do a screen shot to show what you mean.

Peter M

Dear All

Anyone have a solution?

Lucidor.

Hi Lucidor,

Try a short 10M length of straight fixed track at each end of your curve.

Cheers,
Bill69

http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq231/Lucidor56/Trainz/?action=view&current=Fixedtrack1.jpg

http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq231/Lucidor56/Trainz/?action=view&current=Fixedtrack2.jpg

Trainz
Trainz
IMG%5D

This might help to make things clearer. Take a look.

Lucidor

Hello Lucidor,

The pics you linked were helpful and I think I see the problem. Bear with me and I hope this is understandable. :D

I think the problem is the geometry of your curve. The track splines in Trainz are designed to smooth things out and that is exactly what is happening in your picture. You seem to have a compound curve there. That is, the degree of curvature is greater at one end of the curve than the other. The trade off of the automatic smoothing is that Trainz doesn't do the compound curves very well in many cases.

You might want to try this. Instead of laying the curve first, lay the two straight tracks, or tangents. Then extend the tangents, either with track or with the ruler available in the Tools panel of surveyor somewhat past the point where they intersect. This will generate an angle. Actually, you can think of any curve as an angle. Once you have created the angle, measure back toward each tangent an equal distance, e.g., 50m, 100m, or however much will create the curvature you have in mind. Now insert spline points at the measured distances, delete any extra tangent track, and connect the two spline points you created. If you are using fixed track, lay straight track to the points you measured. If these two distances are equal, your twist should disappear and the transition should be smooth.

Hope this helps.

Bernie

Last edited:
You really made my day.

You really made my day.

I tried your technique on a S-curve as well and it works fine. I just had to have a bit of straight track in between the two opposit curves, then it´s just to play around with the section and create whatever curve shape you want.

Fantastic. But now I have to redo all curves on my layout. But that´s what this is all about isn´t it; learn and develop.

Lucidor

Back