Favorite US Railroad?

Something went wrong with my picture and for some reason I could edit my post. Just another Trainz fail I guess. Anyways, here is the picture that I wanted to post making my CSX spirit stand out!

csx_ac6000cw_603.jpg
Then why do you have an NS avatar?

Oh man hard question I guess my answer is:
Comuter: Amtrak
Shortine: Florida East Coast
Class 1:CSX
Fallen Flag:tie between Boston and Maine and New York Central( NOT PEN CENTRAL baby blue should've never touched a loco)

The favorite RR? Well, the Espee (Octopus) comes to mind immediately, as does it's evil twin, the Union Pacific. But if I had to pick a favorite, then it would be the romantic North Pacific Coast Railroad, a 3 foot gauge beauty that ran through some of the most magnificent scenery in the world, the northern California coast and the spectacular coast redwood groves, Sequoia sempervirens, see these pix https://www.google.com/search?q=seq...wGCwIDwBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=844. Ran from Sausalito to Cazadero. Agglomerated into the Northwestern Pacific, (Espee and ATSF), and ran all the way up to near Eureka.

No one who has ever gone up through Garberville, Phillipsville, Rio Dell, and up to Ferndale and Eureka, the Northwestern Pacific, has remained unchanged; and the Samoa Cookhouse, at the end of the line, left no one unfilled (best pancakes in the world). I sometimes wonder how much is left.

Bernie

From the top rank down here are my favorites:
1. Burlington Northern
2. Atchison Tpeka & Santa Fe
3. Southern Pacific
4. Great Northern

Why? Bc GN had their very bright and good-looking Big Sky Blue scheme; BN looked absolutely stunning with the Cascade green, especially against a mountain backdrop; ATSF had some very nice-looking engines (WARBONNETS FOR THE WIN!!!!) and #3751 still runs today; Southern Pacific's 'Daylight' streamliners were very sharp looking and 4449 is the best looking steamer out there!
I hope nobody disagrees with BN taking first place.

Passenger: Amtrak
Commuter: Still Amtrak
Class 1: BNSF and UP
Fallen Flag: ATSF
Shortline/Regional: Of course the Chicago & Illinois Midland!

I can't pick just one!

Class 1: ::::::NS and [ CSX ]
Class 2: DM&E/IC&E
Shortline:
Progressive Rail, inc.
Fallen Flags:
BN, ATSF, SBS, C&O/B&O, DM&IR, ROCK, CN&W, GN and all of the RR's that make up todays' NS.
Light Rail: Metropolitan Council's Metro Transit
Commuter: Minnesota Northstar
Passenger: Amtrak
Kinda gives away where I live, doesn't it?:D
Minnesota to the end brother, MN to the end.

Last edited:
My favorite is Grand Trunk Western!
70054079.jpg
Pic token in Brownstown and Woodhaven Michigan on the CN Dearboarn sub that i am making in Trainz 2012. My pic.
I know my avatar is a CN, CN bought GT well CN always owned GT in the First place. That is why i am GTW1226!

B&O - Baltimore and Ohio
WMRR - Western Maryland Railroad
NCR - Northern Central Railway (became a part of Pensy almost from day one)
MA&PA - Maryland and Pennsylvania, a narrow gauge shortline.

I grew up near the NCR and close to the old right of way from MA&PA - I could see the rotting remains of them both as a kid and was endlessly fascinated with them and what might have been had they not fallen.

10. New York Central
9. Southern Railway (USA)
8. CSX
7. Pennsylvania Railroad
6. Erie Lackawanna
5. Conrail
4. Amtrak
3. Morristown & Erie
2. New Jersey Transit
1. Norfolk Southern

Norfolk Southern wins again! :hehe:
(whoops I forgot to look at the date again!)

Last edited:
Wow, I'm suprised that there wasn't one of these threads already.

So, if you couldn't guess the question from the thread title:

What is your favorite US railroad (could also be a list if you don't have a definitive favorite) and why?

My list:
KCS,
NS,
PRR,
SAL/SCL,
L&N,
Southern,
NKP,
SP,
N&W,
and ATSF
all rank pretty high on the list, but number one is:

Missouri Pacific.

Why? It's probably one of the more unmentioned railroads, as far as fame and general knowledge goes. Plus, I like their paint schemes (except the canary yellow one).

NdeM
Ferromex
Russian Railways
BC Rail
CP Rail
CN Rail
BNSF
BN
Warbonet BNSF
BreaKED Trains

I live around Ky, so mine would probably be...
1. Louisville & Nashville
2. Norfolk Southern
3. CSX
4. RJ Corman
5. Paducah & Louisville

Either Union Pacific, Missouri Pacific, Frisco, Santa Fe, or KCS. Heck, I think almost all west-coast railroads are my faves!:D

Back