error while placing trains

TMR193

I keep getting the error, "cannot add object as the selected layer is above the targeted track".

"Trackside objects cannot be placed in a layer above the track they are being attached to"

Anyway to fix this? Both the trains and the track are on the same layer. This is not a route problem, this is the whole game problem

This error only pops up when the track is on session layer, but it still won't let me on route layer

Your track and track objects should always be placed on the route-layer and never on a session-layer. What's happening, by the sounds of it, is that you are now editing the route and placing consists (trains).

The base components such as track, track-side objects, textures, and other tangible assets should aways be placed on the route-layer. The session layer is used for effects, configuring industries, trains, and similar.

When it comes to track splines and track assets (signals, switches, etc) there is a hierarchy in the layers that does not apply to any other assets.

While you can have your track splines in one layer and all the track objects in a different layer it is not recommended. It will work as long as the layer containing the track objects is NEVER moved so that it is placed physically higher up the list of layers than the layer containing the track splines.

My personal preference is to place all the track splines and all the VISIBLE track objects (plus any invisible signals and switches) in the same layer, the "route-layer", and keep that layer at the top of the Route Layers Group. I also NEVER rename that layer so that I am not likely to forget what it contains.

Some track objects, specifically trackmarks and triggers, I will often put into a lower layer just for ease of management plus these assets can be session specific, i.e. they may only apply to one session and not to all sessions. In which case I put them in a session layer.

Following these rules has kept me sane.

Last edited:
All assets that attach to another asset must be placed in the same layer or a layer lower down.
Layers 1,2,3, are in the top half, and 4,5,6, are in the bottom half. If a track is in layer 4 you can only place trains, signals, etc in layers 4,5, and 6. They won't attach in layers 1,2 and 3.

How do you know what layer you are working in?
Is there a reference number that you can see?
Thanks,
Macka

How do you know what layer you are working in?
Is there a reference number that you can see?

In Surveyor 1.0 you can only see the working or "Active" layer if you have the Layer Tool flyout open.

In Surveyor 2.0 that information is displayed in the Layers Palette and in the Info Palette.

Can you identify what it is that you are attempting to place - the kuids of the track and the object you are trying to place on the track would be very helpful.

I have some NS content from Jointedrail and only their Horsehead Dash 9 works, nothing else works and they aren't red or faulty

The active layer must be unlocked, to place any object in it.
If the track is in the session layer, you can't place the train in the route layer.

Peter

Last edited:
Back