Does Trainz have a future?

Thierry_St_Malo

It may sound as a silly question but it isn't. It isn't for me in any case, so much so that I just can't bring myself to buying TS2010.

I know, in these forums you can find quite a number of enthusiastic messages about the product, but behind the scenes the tendency seems far from encouraging.

It looks as if TS2009 and TS2010 have been set up by young and brilliant developers who are very much left to themselves, without any general guidelines. In particular, they don't seem to give a damn for what should be an ESSENTIAL concern: backward compatibility. They don't seem to have any idea of the investment in work and emotion that any route represents for its creator and they don't seem to care. With TS2009, it was already difficult, even in compatibility mode, to import say a TRS2006 route. From what I understand (I may be wrong) it is practically impossible with TS2010 as the new CMP's requirements are much more stringent than TS2009's.

There are ominous signs, the worst of all being that the new object creation rate seems to be very slow. Week after week I look at the DLS, and I find that there are very few if any new items designed for TS2009-TS2010. User interest for content creation seems to be disappearing rapidly.

The alpha layer in textures is now handled differently, we are told. Fine, but how is it handled? Very few people if any, including Auran's developers themselves (I have looked at Trainzdev) seem to have the slightest idea. I have not found any document that explains how to obtain results which are equivalent to those that were commonplace. Some attempts have been made, but they do have a tendency to produce grotesque artefacts when the object is viewed from a distance. As a result, essential objects that should appear almost anywhere on any route (catenaries, power lines, telephone lines, wire fences, vegetation etc.) have disappeared by the hundreds and do not seem to be replaced. I would very much like to be given the reference of, say, a single power line that gives satisfying results in TS2009's native mode, so that I can use it as an example.

Vegetation is the worst example. Hundreds, may be thousands, of very useful and satisfying objects have been sacrificed on SpeedTree's altar. Now SpeedTree is certainly a "nice-to-have", but by no means essential. For many people including me, it is a mere gadget. Simple (from the technical point of view) and satisfying objects have been replaced by rather crude polygonals that, in the end, are little more than memory-eaters and cycle-eaters.

Couldn't Auran re-introduce the old alpha layer management system along with the new one? It would require nothing more than a new token in config.txt and a single test for displaying the object, but a single test that would save tens, or hundreds of polys per object...

Highly unrealistic and frustrating design faults are still present. The viewing distance problem has been solved only partially. From inside the cab, the viewing distance is quite unrealistic: a few hundred meters (or yards) at most, I would say. Yet TrainzTuner has shown that the issue can easily be dealt with, even with a 32 bit (24x8, actually) Z-Buffer...

So my final question is: does Auran at last intend to address these issues? If not we users should better stick with TRS2006... Unless, of course, Auran coldly calculates that "old" users of Trainz will die (litterally) one by one and that newcomers only have any importance...

does Auran at last intend to address these issues?

No. I assume that Auran regard backward compatibility is addressed (more or less) by way of compatibility mode.

What concerns end users varies considerably - like you I can live without speedtrees but unlike you I don't need visibility beyond a few hundred metres. If an item of vegetation doesn't display properly I simply replace it with one that does (or delete it completely) - but I sorely miss the capacity to startup and shut down locomotives as one was able to do in UTC. I can't figure out why that feature was removed.

The pursuit of reality through a computer game, however, is a flawed concept.

I agree that Trainz is after all only a game. However, what I am after is a reasonably convincing realistic overall approach. And, once more, the lack of activity on the DLS, which at the moment seems more or less ( more less than more :) ) reduced to the strenuous work of two Japanese gentlemen is an ominous sign.

Out with the old. In with the new.
Backwards compatibility is no good when that which was backwards was wrong.

This is not necessarily such a good thing when you consider that most of Trainz is a content based game. If you destroy backwards compatibility you've essentially destroyed the game. This even more valid considering that most of the content creation base (including myself) is disappearing due to frustrating changes in the game's development pipeline.

Cheers,
John

I could not agree more with you, ZapperJet. It looks as if the people at Auran haven't noticed that Trainz is a content-based game. Worse, they don't seem to give a damn for their installed base. Sad for us today, probably sad for them in the future.

Anyway, for the time being I won't buy TS2010, and I wouldn't recommend buying it to anyone. Hopefully at some point in time the Auran people will come to their senses...

Cheers,
Thierry

I'm using TC3 as my 'compatibility' mode, but meanwhile I've got TS10 sittting on my PC and I'm not really sure what to do with it. Should I import my 'local' folder from TC3 and then prepare myself to spend many hours fixing 'broken' assets? Or just stick to the built-in items and those assets cleared on the DLS for TS2009/10? The trouble is that, currently, there aren't many of those, nor do they seem to be increasing particularly quickly. :confused:

Paul

Individual experience...

Well... I have 2010 running fine on the XP side my 2ghz iMac with 2gb ram.
The iMac has an onboard video processor. So, my hardware is just at minimum spec. I am running all my installed versions, 04, o6, 09 &10 from a
outboard Seagate HD thru USB. Not enough space on my XP partition.
I have owned every version of Trainz and I can say that this version runs the best by far.
I just imported a route that I originally created in 2004 and it imported just fine. I looked for the missing dependencies and commanded CM to download them, which it did.
All in all, I would give 2010 a thumbs up. It has been the easiest transition
for any of the versions.
As far as content creation, I am not a creator so I can't really comment on the creation aspect. But, I would say that Auran or N3V games, or whomever is running things now do seem to be out of touch with their audience.
Go ahead buy 2010, just a few dollars, you might like it.:D
Durff

I'm using TC3 as my 'compatibility' mode, but meanwhile I've got TS10 sittting on my PC and I'm not really sure what to do with it. Should I import my 'local' folder from TC3 and then prepare myself to spend many hours fixing 'broken' assets? Or just stick to the built-in items and those assets cleared on the DLS for TS2009/10? The trouble is that, currently, there aren't many of those, nor do they seem to be increasing particularly quickly. :confused:

Paul

Most of my items have been fixed for TS2009/10 even though the version number is way below this. About the only reason to put 2.8 on a config.txt file is for a script there are a couple of layout features as well. Scenery items in particular rarely need a version number of 2.9+ so don't get them often. Apart from some beginners who are creating directly in TS2010 and don't know how to put a lower version number on.

You could just import the lot then disable any with errors as opposed to forgoing everything that works.

Cheerio John

This is not necessarily such a good thing when you consider that most of Trainz is a content based game. If you destroy backwards compatibility you've essentially destroyed the game. This even more valid considering that most of the content creation base (including myself) is disappearing due to frustrating changes in the game's development pipeline.

Cheers,
John

Yes but most of the old stuff still works some has a few error warnings so I don't see the big problem. We are talking about what less than 10% of the DLS? And some of the early stuff my own included I won't miss.

Cheerio John

Paul

I have gone to TS2010 exclusively at this point. I have over 26,000 assets at this point that are error free and work fine in native mode. Most of these of course are from previous versions. There are probably many more available on the DLS which at this point I have either not discovered or have no need for.

I keep two version of Trainz up to date. TS2009 for running in compatibility mode and TS2010 for native mode operation only. The performance improvement is impressive when running TS2010 in native mode.

It may sound as a silly question but it isn't. It isn't for me in any case, so much so that I just can't bring myself to buying TS2010.

I know, in these forums you can find quite a number of enthusiastic messages about the product, but behind the scenes the tendency seems far from encouraging.

It looks as if TS2009 and TS2010 have been set up by young and brilliant developers who are very much left to themselves, without any general guidelines. In particular, they don't seem to give a damn for what should be an ESSENTIAL concern: backward compatibility. They don't seem to have any idea of the investment in work and emotion that any route represents for its creator and they don't seem to care. With TS2009, it was already difficult, even in compatibility mode, to import say a TRS2006 route. From what I understand (I may be wrong) it is practically impossible with TS2010 as the new CMP's requirements are much more stringent than TS2009's.

There are ominous signs, the worst of all being that the new object creation rate seems to be very slow. Week after week I look at the DLS, and I find that there are very few if any new items designed for TS2009-TS2010. User interest for content creation seems to be disappearing rapidly.

The alpha layer in textures is now handled differently, we are told. Fine, but how is it handled? Very few people if any, including Auran's developers themselves (I have looked at Trainzdev) seem to have the slightest idea. I have not found any document that explains how to obtain results which are equivalent to those that were commonplace. Some attempts have been made, but they do have a tendency to produce grotesque artefacts when the object is viewed from a distance. As a result, essential objects that should appear almost anywhere on any route (catenaries, power lines, telephone lines, wire fences, vegetation etc.) have disappeared by the hundreds and do not seem to be replaced. I would very much like to be given the reference of, say, a single power line that gives satisfying results in TS2009's native mode, so that I can use it as an example.

Vegetation is the worst example. Hundreds, may be thousands, of very useful and satisfying objects have been sacrificed on SpeedTree's altar. Now SpeedTree is certainly a "nice-to-have", but by no means essential. For many people including me, it is a mere gadget. Simple (from the technical point of view) and satisfying objects have been replaced by rather crude polygonals that, in the end, are little more than memory-eaters and cycle-eaters.

Couldn't Auran re-introduce the old alpha layer management system along with the new one? It would require nothing more than a new token in config.txt and a single test for displaying the object, but a single test that would save tens, or hundreds of polys per object...

Highly unrealistic and frustrating design faults are still present. The viewing distance problem has been solved only partially. From inside the cab, the viewing distance is quite unrealistic: a few hundred meters (or yards) at most, I would say. Yet TrainzTuner has shown that the issue can easily be dealt with, even with a 32 bit (24x8, actually) Z-Buffer...

So my final question is: does Auran at last intend to address these issues? If not we users should better stick with TRS2006... Unless, of course, Auran coldly calculates that "old" users of Trainz will die (litterally) one by one and that newcomers only have any importance...

I have to agree with you to a certain extent and let me explain why. I am a content creator with over 400 items created so far, most of these were created for TRS04 and will work in later versions of TRS/TC/TS. I now will only create for TS09/10 onwards and if the same item made with normal mapping etc. will work in TRS04 with its configuration changed for it, it will be released as a TRS04 item for people to use it for TRS04/06 and later versions. Which I already did with some of my TS09 creations.

Now, one would have thought with AURAN raising the creating bar so much higher, you would have thought all information of how to create for TS09/10 would be available in an easy to study form for us content creators to digest and to learn from. That would have been the logical way to do things creating (or lets also call it "modding") wise. What do other game developers do? They encourage the changing (modding) of content and items in the game and creating new items for it by releasing a whole Developer's package of tools, information etc. for doing this (NeverWinterNights, Oblivion, Morrowind) just to name a few of some game developers.

What did AURAN do? Zilch or rather not much so far. Just try to access the DevWiki to get relevant data and info from it. One has to change back and forth pages after useless pages just to gleam snippets of needed information from these. Or wade through lots of pages coming up when searching for something particular but not having the needed information there. Where some of this is often explained in a high handed manner, alright if you are a programmer, scripter, 3D guru or whatever to understand. What about people like me who never had any grounding in such topics, let alone do know much of such. My guess is, this applies to quite of many of us content creators here.

I came to this train simulation while modding (creating new ships etc.) for a space simulation which had all the tools, all info needed to create in 3D, access to developers and programmers etc. anytime for any help needed and so on. As well as doing some dabbling in Morrowind. When I started creating for TRS, TRS04 with SP4 had just been released and I jumped in with both feet (so to speak) to create for TRS04. AURAN at that time had a Creators Art Source pack containing 2 CDs for sale with examples of how they did stuff for the early versions of Trainz/TRS. Which I bought (I think this is still for sale in AURANs shop for $A20.00) and this had been a very valuable source to see how things were done creating wise then.

But what about now? After a lot of pestering by me in the TrainzDev Forum to get some examples to study and examine Bloodnook (?) released there the TS09 included UP ST40-2, meshes and textures as an example to study which was better than nothing to see how someone else constructed a locomotive for at the time a new version of TS. But since then there is a deafening silence at the TrainzDev forum's Content Creating section, new questions there are usually answered by existing members BUT NOT BY Chris anymore for over the last 5-6 weeks. I understand Chris had been doing this Dev forum work voluntarily (thank you Chris for your input :wave: ) but as said since then not a single word from ANY AURAN development member to help with queries in the Content Creating section of this forum. I also understand AURAN is at this moment on their annual XMas leave but really?

Creating new items for the last 2 versions of TS would have been a priority I would have thought but alas, it seems this is not the case anymore, You draw your own conclusions from this, I know I have mine.

So, what will the future hold? I know a LOT! of content creators are not interested in creating for the new versions, understandably so. As pointed out, it is well over a year since TS09 had been released, how many worthwhile examples of new stuff for it has been created? You be the judge and by the way things are going, it will be several years or possibly longer to see sufficient new content for TS.

That again begs the question why AURAN is not helping us content creators with much information creating wise. I had to find out a lot myself when creating for TS09 by trial and error, it is so frustrating when I know that SOMEONE AT AURAN knows what I want(ed) to know but either that particular information is not available or is buried so deep in that "effing" DevWiki, that I have given up looking for my information needed, as I guess a lot of others did too.

Go on, you look up something in the DevWiki, I dare you to find some info and other related info which you would like to cross reference with something you either already know or you want to know of how it is done. Go on, I dare you!

*Edit: After reading some above posts made while I had been setting up doing mine here, re some older content fixed and working in TS09/10 native mode. This is all well and good if such older content still looks good next to an exclusively build TS09/10 item but how much of the older content is looking out of place visually and "cartoonish" looking or simply old looking as in the olden days of creating for Trainz/TRS computer specs were simply to low but good enough for these items? Just a thought.

My 2 cents worth, from a grumpy (and often frustrated) old man :p

VinnyBarb

Last edited:
...I don't see the big problem.
The big problem is layouts and activities. A single asset broken by a program modification in a new version of Trainz will prevent a layout or activity loading and most users won't know how to fix the problem.

John

When that stuff was created, it was NOT wrong! AURAN made it wrong by changing things. Put this in your pipe and smoke it :p.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

disagree. i did several conversions and still use them, there is NOTHING wrong with compatibility mode if you have to use it to get something working. thats why it is there.

not true either, maybe the objects are just backward compatible, and have low version tags, thats what i do. i cant say i release on the DLS though, too much trouble.

this has been discussed many times. dont use blended 8 bit alphas on some scenery items. it takes a lot more processing to sort them to the render, THIS is what compatibility mode does, the old sorting of blended things, this is why its said to be a performance hit. sure it was done countless times even by auran, but the time has come to do it a better way, a more efficient, faster way. if you dont want to, then use compatibility mode, again, why it is there.

cardboard prop tress still have a place, but id rather speedtrees and 3d trees any day. i am glad to see them try and catch up with the current era in doing this. it is also worth mentioning, TS2010 has something that helps older blended style of trees to display better in native mode.

ou cant change how alphas are sorted in the display render by a single object, what you propose is not possible.

also discussed at trainzdev. trainztuner is a hack, and is not very efficient. how can you complain about how speedtrees will eat cycles and use an example like trainz tuner too? older trs versions were simply not made to handle that render distance, and do so very poorly. i cannot remember exactly why they reduce the view distance so much in cab, but as i said the reason was discussed already. i find being in cab is just the same as older versions of trainz (minus cycle eating trainz tuner hacks). the cut back distance form the outside 5000m is obvious though.

probably not, as most of these 'issues' were already addressed, or are suggestions by yourself.

Last edited:
As pretty much a non-creator and mostly a Surveyor user, I can say that I have mixed feelings about the new version. I am glad to see the program going forward and the developer looking to the future. Let's face it, the previous versions of Trainz were still based on a way of modeling and animating that dated back to the late 1990s. The new way, though maybe more difficult for some people, is actually more efficient in the long run for the game engine. This is why the performance is much higher.

Now, regarding the errors...Please listen to me here, as this subject has come up many times, and since I've spent many hours fixing older items to work in native mode, I'd like to throw in my few pennies and pocket lint into the pot.

The error checking introduced in TS2006 and strongest yet in TS2010 is something that should have been there all along. The errors were always there. Instead of not loading the objects, the way the programs work now in native mode, TRS2004 and previous versions would load them anyway. Do any of you remember the stutters, poor performance, and other instabilities? In many cases this is caused by the errors in the content. Instead of the program simply loading the objects, it had to parse through and throw away errant code in the config files, disregard missing textures, and other problems with the content. This took time, and in a moving 3D simulator, time wasting means stutters. The compatibility mode sadly does the old error parsing, along with the blended alpha channels. I think it's more of the errors in the old content that cause most of the poor performance. I noticed that with TS2010 after cleaning up the old content. Compatibility mode to me wasn't much slower than native mode, although the rendering wasn't as nice.

Now I'm not blaming anyone on particular, but many of the original config file errors go back to the original content creators. I noticed this as I was repairing content. I'd see the same errors in the early models propagated right down to the more recent TRS2004 items. This I feel is something that Auran should have fixed in the beginning when they introduced TRS2006. When objects were imported into TS2009, then subsequently TS210, the same errors appeared again in the new built-in items. This is why they show up as having errors when they're opened for edit. Surpressing errors for built-in items doesn't fix the problem, it only makes it worse if future content creators use the built-in models as a standard to build from.

It's amazing how many new "old" objects I have after cleaning them up. It's too bad I couldn't upload them to the DLS as replacements, but unfortunately this isn't allowed.

The new way of normal mapping and alpha channel handling is the way the new games work and not just with TS2009 and TS2010. We have the hardware to handle 3D graphics that is far beyond what the original developers envisioned. Who would have expected the program to take off like it did, let alone the hardware development to accelerate beyond where it was back in 2000 when we thought that was so great. Remember with each development, whether it's in society or in computer hardware, comes new ways of doing things. It takes the willingness to change, and perhaps work harder to adapt to these changes. If we didn't do this as a society, our computers would still be using relays and paper tape. Or perhaps worse, we'd be driving cars without seatbelts and rear view mirrors, smoking cigarettes in the offices, and using asbestos.

Where am I going with this post, well there's a lot more happening here than meets the eye. I recall seeing a post somewhere about a new extended manual coming out for TS2010. Perhaps now that the dust has settled after the push from TRS2006 to TRS2010, via TS2009, that we will see an updated CC guide in addition to the Wiki.

The program does have a lot of potential, but the minimal support and the reliance on a wiki will do us no favor in the future. This is where us, as a community, need to come together yet again to keep this train rolling. Instead of complaining and throwing up our hands, we should all sit down as a group, and come up with our own easy to follow manual. Our own CC guide, I think in addition to what Auran has already, would be most helpful. Instead of keeping newly discovered things hidden, it should be posted in a document somewhere. Not so much a wiki, but perhaps a forum post somewhere even on the Trainz Resource site if possible. Once the material is available, it should be published in an easy to read document. Perhaps something such as a PDF that's easily printed without a background so that it formats nicely and doesn't waste toner.

My other mixed feelings, well Speed Trees aren't the only thing to make this program better or worse. I like the 3D trees, which are the new way of doing things, but they don't need to move the way they do. We also don't need such big or so small ones. They also don't need such weirdly shaped trunks. Have these developers ever looked at a real birch tree, for example. They look a lot different than what comes in Treez or ST.

The draw distance needs to be fixed, and without the need of an external tool. Granted I understand where Auran developers are going, I think, but give us the full gamut of settings instead of only a few. If we want all stops, full grand organ effects, let us have it. Give it to us with the warnings that this may impact the performance severely. Don't make it the default, and let us figure out from there where we want.

So anyway there's a lot more I could say not without writing another book. I'll let this be some food for thought and hopefully will elicit some thinking on the part of the community. After all this is an online community that supports the program isnt' it.

John

When that stuff was created, it was NOT wrong! AURAN made it wrong by changing things. Put this in your pipe and smoke it :p.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

No, it always was wrong. Having now fixed several hundred assets from TRS04 to TS2010, I can confidently say that most of the errors are config typos, followed by spare texture.txt files.

It's OK, though - it's still Auran's fault for not error checking properly :;) . I recall downloading quite a few things from the DLS that wouldn't work in '04, and only worked once TrainzObjectz had found a missing bracket - it really should have been sdressed a LONG time ago...

Paul

Back