Destroyer

Hello there Angela;

Another looker! I'm on my way to the TPR! I feel better about going there now. Although I never added any content, I did send a donation. Never made their list, you must have to be a heavy hitter to get on it!

Don't worry my friend, spring is on the way! You'd never know it over here, lightly snowing at the moment.

Thanks for yet another beauty!

Cheers.......Rick

I've been keeping my eyes open for the folded wing Swordfish and have not seen it yet. Have I missed it, or are you still working on it? I just picked up the Liberty ship. I have a large wharf waiting for her!

Hi Rick,
Swordfish should be on the TPR. No worries, I'll send you it.

Angela

Hi Angela;

I see you found my address. Thanks for the Swordfish! I've just finished looking through the UK buildings at the TPR. My, you've been a busy lady!

Cheers.....Rick

Hello Angelah,

Just grabbed some of your latest works from the DLS.

Absolutely amazing work. Your a very talented lady.

Cheers

Trent

Angela,

A lovely model of a Liberty ship. Any possibility of an unarmed version to use postwar as many of them were.

Can't see that would be a problem, I can just remove the armaments... would that suit?

At present I am working on more detailed guns, specifically AA types like the HA 4.5 inch turrets, 20mm Pom-Poms in quad and 8 berrelled varieties, Bofors in single and twin mountings and soon to be done Oerlikons as well, but I need to research those a bit more.
The snag is they come in at between 3 and just over 5k polys so each time I add one to a ship that is how much the poly count would increase per unit. But they are really nice and will add a lot of detail on an important aspect of each model.
I was not happey with the rather pitiful AA guns I made so there may be updates to ships if I upload as kiud2's.
The HA 4.5s look rather odd when on full elevation due to the barrels pointing almost vertically so I have done 2 sets, the second set with barrels in a lower position. And A and B turrets were often a little different so that increased the amount needing to be made. All those are done now.
I think I ought to redo the open back turrets as well as used on earlier destroyers.

I am pondering a Weapons Class destroyer - is anybody interested?

Once the guns are done all I will have to do is import whatever I need into the ship's folder so this little exercise will speed things up.
Must get back to the Ark once these are completed.

Angela

Can't see that would be a problem, I can just remove the armaments... would that suit?...

Angela
Yes that will do. I've tried to find images of potwar civilianised ones to see if the gun platforms were removed at all but so far without luck. I suspect some were and some weren't.

I know they were involved in the Korean war and maybe even the Vietnam fighting so it is quite possible that after these conflicts just the weapons were removed and the gun platforms left in place, it would make financial sense I suppose, less work and less cost.

Finished all the guns now so am back looking at the ships. I have 2 carriers to get completed and the Hood but the Liberty ship alteration would be a quick one so I could sandwich that in for you.

So what would you prefer? Platforms or no platforms....

Angela

I could be naughty and say both! But on balance I would prefer no platforms. There's no hurry; just do it when you feel like it as we are away for Easter to visit our son at Cardigan. So I shall have the usual sight of "Croeso a Cymru" followed by "toll £6"!

Hi Jihn,
Ah, Welcome to Wales, I hope you enjoy your stay here however brief it might be.

Other news :-
Ark Royal is finished and here is a shot to prove it,

HMS_Ark_Royal_zpsd6b69ec8.jpg

This has been a long haul but I made it eventually. The small guns are the new ones I made for ships so I think are better than the other ones I made up.
But be warned this has some serious polys, 83,174 to be exact and a file size of 1.58Mb, so that largest ship so far on both counts.
But she is enormous and dwarfs the Maggie when put alongisde as you can probably see from the picture, hence the high poly count. The quite considerable amount of Boolean cuts didn't help much either, I think it's 500 polys per cut and all those holes along the sides are a cut. Really there should be cutouts at the back of the 4.5 inch gun positions but I left those out.
There is no pennant number either, mainly because I have no idea where it went and I was unable to find any pictures of her with it on, I expect that during hostilities they were painted over as this is the World War 2 version.

It will go to TPR soon as I have yet to make the 2010 CDP although the 2004 one goes in fine and without errors, first time almost as well so I am pleased about that.

Keep your eyes open....

Angela

Thanks to Photobucket for free hosting.

Hi Angela; I've been banging away at my route. Thought I'd pop in and see what you've been up to. Well I must say, that's one big beautiful ship!

Cheers....well done!.....Rick

Angela

Your productivity knows no bounds. I have been watching this thread since its inception.
I believe your fleet is now bigger than the RN. :eek:

Love your work.

Cheers

Bob (CRO)

Thank you all for replying and being so positive about my efforts.

The Hood is a lobg project so don't expect that to appear very soon as I have quite a few smaller boats to make to fill the Boat Deck which is clearly visible just aft on the funnels so they need to have a certain amout of detail.
Also I need to make some more 4.5 inch gun turrets (with guns of course) with open backs rather than the enclosed ones I have now. These should help with the Hood and other ships with minor alterations. And possibly a different Mark of Bofors for later ships.

I have been looking at 2 types of destroyer again, well the name of the thread IS destoryer... First of all it was a Weapons Class, a ship slightly smaller than both Battles and Darings and that is a possibility. But I have rotated back to doind a Daring and may well start hull work today.

Also to be laid down at the same time now I have three books on them, a cruiser, possibly one of the 3 that fought at the Battle of the River Plate, so if anybosy has a preference please post with your ideas..

So a few on the go at once which is how I like to work. Doing a very large ship like the Hood can make one assume tunnel vision on models but having options keeps my interest up.

In the meantime here are a couple of screenies to keep the flavour of this thread going....

The 8-barrelled Pom Pom...
Octo02_zps43be447f.jpg

and a Quad mounting....
Quad01_zpse19cc8e5.jpg

These are on the Arl Royal and I may well update the other ships when I get time.

Angela

Mornin' Angela;

Your ships are nearing the quality of a Brit's and a Japanese fellow who made ships for Combat Flight Simulator 2. These two guys were highly respected for their work. I don't believe their weapons looked as good as these do. I hope the CFS2 boys don't see your work and steal you away from us!

Cheers.....Rick

Progress on the Daring is, well, progressing....

I decided that as nobody replied to my 'suggestion' about which ship might be the best to build I would do the Daring anyway...

Daring01_zpsad25ace0.jpg

Miles more to do yet of course but she's looking not half bad as she sits there before us.

Thank you John for that wonderful set of pictures of the Bonaventure, they will be a tremendous help when the Daring is done and I get back onto that carrier.

Angela

Ooh, cool! :cool::Y: Peru used to have a couple of these guys in service as late as 2009-2011? (not sure on that last date). They went rather well with their ex-Dutch light Cruiser Almirante Grau, Formerly the Dutch HNLMS De Ruyter. Ever thought about giving the two later variants of the Darings (or De Ruyter) a go? I'm going from memory as I can't seem to find my copy of Jane's Warship guide at the moment, but the Peruvian navy had the ex-Dainty and Decoy

Ooh, cool! :cool::Y: Peru used to have a couple of these guys in service as late as 2009-2011? (not sure on that last date). They went rather well with their ex-Dutch light Cruiser Almirante Grau, Formerly the Dutch HNLMS De Ruyter. Ever thought about giving the two later variants of the Darings (or De Ruyter) a go? I'm going from memory as I can't seem to find my copy of Jane's Warship guide at the moment, but the Peruvian navy had the ex-Dainty and Decoy

Hi Sawyer811,
At present I have miles of British ships to do so nothing of any other nations. I do have a cruiser on my hit list and the UK did produce some for the Dutch as well as loaning/selling destroyers, so one or two of these may well pop up as I go along.
Each ship takes a fair while to make and very many hours. This is the first one I have done with anchor chains (they are a real pain to do a link at a time) but the effect is quite good I think. Trouble is they bash up the polys count like blue blazes so it remains to be seen if it is viable or not.

There is an angle deck carrier on its way too, so look out for that. I have made the exception with Canadian ships because many were from British yards and some were loaned rather than directly sold. This of course also applies to the RAN (Royal Australian Navy) who used British made ships but so far I have not got around to do any. However, the Darings certainly were used by the Aussies to good effect. They have a preserved one I think, Vampire if I remember correctly.

Thank you for posting, I do like to hear from people.

Angela

Oh, my! Just when I thought the ships could not possibly get any better.....they do! Where am I going to put all these beauties? I send you a shot of my dockyard (don't laugh!).

Have a nice Easter, Angela.......don't eat too many sweets!

Cheers....Rick

Back