DEM help requested

mattm

Doing my best.
G'day all, hope the day goes well. I have a small question with regards to using Microdem and HOG to generate terrain.
I would like to know: is it possible to generate a map with HOG, and specify a Google Earth image as a minimap overlay? I know this can be done with TIGER images, which are unfortunately (or not?) available for anywhere outside the US.
I ask because i have finally located a usable set of DEM data for the Central Coast area of NSW, BUT i am unable to pinpoint exactly where i am once i have the map loaded into trainz.

In the hope that someone can answer in the affirmative, i bid you good day.
Mattm.

OK, its been 3 days and no reply. All i would really like is for somebody to tell me that there is an easy way of working out my location within surveyor, on a map created within HOG.
The easiest way that i have found is to load the DEM file i am working with as an overlay into Google Earth, find a landmark, then measure in from the side, and again from the bottom of the overlay. I then load my map in surveyor and repeat. This gives me the starting point for the route.
Can anybody suggest to me any easier, possibly more accurate way of determining a starting position for maps created with DEM?

Thanks, mattm.

you can use any image for the texture and minimap, just ensure ALL images are UNCOMPRESED TGA files and are 1 pixel per 10m grid square with a 2 pixel border on all sides

@Mattm: As you may have guessed from the lack of replies, there is no "easy way" with MicroDEM/HOG for an Australian route project. :confused:

Hi guys thanks for your attempted assistance. However i am quite dimwitted when it comes to computers, so for the moment i am giving up on DEM. I will instead focus my attention on building up my skills in surveyor. This will be done by working on the aforementioned Gosford-Wyong route. I really do want to get this completed, and released to the community, as a thank you for the enjoyment (and frustration:D) this product has brought me.

In the meantime, to all who have attempted to render assistance, i say thank you.

Mattm, signing out.

G'day mattm,

Don't go just yet and DON'T give up on the DEM based route. I have been following this thread, somewhat keenly, albeit without intervention until now. If you look at my 'avatar', you will notice something that might be of interest...

...as it turns out, I may be able to assist you. Send me a PM...

Jerker {:)}

Back