Crash Reports - Question to N3V

NSWGR_46Class

Just call my Captain Rude
Does anyone read the crash reports that trainz ask you to fill out when it crashes anymore

Are they worth filling out or is it flogging a dead horse expecting up date for TS12 now TANE is just around the corner

Does anyone read the crash reports that trainz ask you to fill out when it crashes anymore

Are they worth filling out or is it flogging a dead horse expecting up date for TS12 now TANE is just around the corner

Probably doesn't hurt to send the report

I'm not sure if they still actively monitor the old crashreport address, although if it's crashing frequently it means something is seriously wrong with your version.

Shane

I would consider moving the Trainz crash reporter, xcrashreport.exe elsewhere so that it's effectively removed. It's in Trainz' bin folder. I've noticed a very strong correlation between software instability and crash reporters over the years. I have no idea why - perhaps it's poorly-implemented functions in the runtime libraries, perhaps something else.

That may not be a good idea to do as it's part of the browser components of Trainz (which seems to have parts of Firefox). As I said though, if it's a frequent issue I would start looking into what is being done at the time of the crash (and quite often the crash reporter creates a ZIP file in the temp folder that can be sent to N3V via their helpdesk or TrainzDev address).

Shane

But if they're not developing TS12 anymore the reports are in theory useless and if nobody then reads them pointless.
That may not be a good idea to do as it's part of the browser components of Trainz (which seems to have parts of Firefox). As I said though, if it's a frequent issue I would start looking into what is being done at the time of the crash (and quite often the crash reporter creates a ZIP file in the temp folder that can be sent to N3V via their helpdesk or TrainzDev address).

Shane

I'm sure I read a post a few months back by Windwalkr that the dumps were not of much use to N3V. Which begs the question of why they are there. Based on my own software dev experience and comments on TANE bug reports, I suggest raising a problem report and providing sufficient information to allow N3V to reproduce the problem.

However, given that N3V are focussed on TANE, I'm not sure how much notice they might take unless it is a problem that could carry over into TANE.

FWIW I stopped sending them in. Especially when I suspect I caused the problem with a dubious (scripted) asset in the first place. :eek:

Cheers

When I have received the crash reports I have sent them in the past, however, more recently I have performed forensics on them myself using Microsoft's Window Debug tool (windbg). The actual crash dump files are located in the \Users\{login name}\\AppData\Local\CrashDumps.

Using Windbg and the Event Viewer, I was able to determine what was going on with a compatibility issue I had with TS12 and Windows 8.

John

Back